Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260346 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7680 on: November 07, 2011, 06:59:50 am »

I am unable to build spike pits. What do I need to do?

(I have the four spikes. I've also tried it at a pit, and at a shallow pit
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7681 on: November 07, 2011, 02:22:59 pm »

I am unable to build spike pits. What do I need to do?

(I have the four spikes. I've also tried it at a pit, and at a shallow pit

It's not working.  I don't know why.  Sorry.  I'll figure it out eventually.

EDIT:  OH HEY I FIXED IT  8)  Pushed to github.  Sadly it will break your saves and requires a clean build.  Sigh...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 02:30:37 pm by Whales »
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7682 on: November 07, 2011, 02:48:21 pm »

No prob. I just had an unfriendly encounter with a hulk  anyway :p

(Ironically enough, I had that encounter just when I went out in order to get a shotgun. "I'm risking too much going out with just a .38 as a weapon. What will I do if I meet a hulk?" I thought)

I almost killed it, too, but then I had to reload, and that was the end of it...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 02:51:19 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #7683 on: November 07, 2011, 02:50:56 pm »

Hehe, fixed it by virtue of me pointing it out to him :P

Patch
 (mediafire link)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:03:18 pm by The Darkling Wolf »
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Darkfyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7684 on: November 07, 2011, 07:06:47 pm »

What exactly is puTTY and how does it work? I know it's a multiplayer client, but I want to know how it works because my home network has certain securities
A gem-encrusted sock is perfect for ass-kicking.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7685 on: November 07, 2011, 07:14:32 pm »

Been a long while since I played and I'm just getting back into it. How come wearing the barest of things makes me heavily encumbered, hampering speed and melee? All I have is a jean jacket in my and a backpack on my chest area and realistically, I don't know why this is hampering me so much.

Also, zombie hordes everywhere, and I DO mean everywhere camping out at literally nearly every building of interest, and they can track you even with stealth perks chosen. I understand zombies are plentiful and proactive but a horde on every street corner? It sounds like I may be exaggerating but I can assure you I'm not.

I would suggest re-working how wearing things work in relation to hindrance and so on, it just seems you're forced to wear the lightest of things just to stay agile and unburdened, correct me if I'm wrong here!

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7686 on: November 07, 2011, 07:43:29 pm »

What exactly is puTTY and how does it work? I know it's a multiplayer client, but I want to know how it works because my home network has certain securities

PuTTY is an SSH client.  Wikipedia article on SSH.  SSH is like telnet, but secure.

Been a long while since I played and I'm just getting back into it. How come wearing the barest of things makes me heavily encumbered, hampering speed and melee? All I have is a jean jacket in my and a backpack on my chest area and realistically, I don't know why this is hampering me so much.

Also, zombie hordes everywhere, and I DO mean everywhere camping out at literally nearly every building of interest, and they can track you even with stealth perks chosen. I understand zombies are plentiful and proactive but a horde on every street corner? It sounds like I may be exaggerating but I can assure you I'm not.

I would suggest re-working how wearing things work in relation to hindrance and so on, it just seems you're forced to wear the lightest of things just to stay agile and unburdened, correct me if I'm wrong here!

A backpack is a highly encumbering item--having a backpack offsetting your balance hampers melee and dodging.  Note that this is all torso encumbrance affects; you can still shoot guns and flee just fine.  The idea is to encourage a light-traveling character build if you're melee-oriented, though with high enough skill it won't matter if you're wearing a backpack.

Zombies aren't that bad if you keep moving and only fight them when you have to.  Unless you're very noisy you shouldn't encounter a true horde too often.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7687 on: November 07, 2011, 07:48:18 pm »

In my experience it's quite usual to meet large groups right at the beggining in the last few builds. However, they're only green zombies, and thus can be outrun easily, or even fought in an one-slot window, in a pinch. I see them more as a start-of-the-game scare, rather than an actual threat

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7688 on: November 07, 2011, 08:00:34 pm »

The backpack is an understandable thing but then that brings up the next problem, carrying capacity. If you don't have a backpack then carrying things is nigh impossible unless you're loaded down with cargo pants and clothes that have several pockets in them, even then the need for carrying a backpack is too great considering all the items in the game.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7689 on: November 07, 2011, 08:04:06 pm »

You either find a location you can store your necessary gear and launch 'missions' from, you turn yourself into an unwieldy pack mule, or you train like a soldier until you have no problems carrying your body weight's worth of supplies on your back and doing battle. Sounds realistic to me.
Nothing important here, move along.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7690 on: November 07, 2011, 08:06:41 pm »

The backpack is an understandable thing but then that brings up the next problem, carrying capacity. If you don't have a backpack then carrying things is nigh impossible unless you're loaded down with cargo pants and clothes that have several pockets in them, even then the need for carrying a backpack is too great considering all the items in the game.

You can fare quite well with a lower number of items; carry only what's necessary.  A trenchcoat doesn't encumber you badly, and with that, cargo pants, a fanny pack and a holster, you can definitely carry everything you need for a melee character, and even have an emergency revolver.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7691 on: November 07, 2011, 08:10:20 pm »

I've been thinking of making a nomad character, I more or less constantly move towns occasionally hunkering down for a little bit to perform some raiding runs on a city. Anyone tried that? Considering the stuff I carry, I'll need a lot of storage space...

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7692 on: November 07, 2011, 08:11:21 pm »

I think you can also just drop some of your crap while you fight the zombies (for a 0 encumbrance), you will however lose it, if you have to run away. (or lead the horde away and backtrack at a later time)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7693 on: November 07, 2011, 08:12:58 pm »

... I more or less constantly move towns ...

Wow, you must be really strong!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7694 on: November 07, 2011, 08:14:27 pm »

One thing that is a problem is carrying enough to eat and drink. Water by its nature is heavy and not easy to transport, and the fact that a lot of the in-world water is going to be unusable is a big limiter. There's also the fact that food is needed pretty much as badly as water in this game, and food isn't light either.
Nothing important here, move along.
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 777