Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263425 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7710 on: November 08, 2011, 01:24:56 pm »

Range of vision during a clear day is 40 tiles; this comes out to maybe 80 metes.  That's a bit small but it works well enough.

That's obviously not the vision you see on-screen, though. The stuff you can really see only has a radius of something like 12-14 tiles.

12 tiles is what the player sees.  What the character sees is 40 tiles.

Hence why you can detect monsters and animals which are outside the player's FOV, as well as fire weapons at enemies beyond the player's sight.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7711 on: November 08, 2011, 03:18:21 pm »

I am going through dire straits because ants keep spawning in my basements, so I am trying to flee to the other side of the city.

On the plus side, I have a compound bow and the ability to craft wooden arrows. This is making killing the fungaloid plague rather safe.

But I need grenades to put a definite end to it. And I can't find soldier IDs :(
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7712 on: November 08, 2011, 03:25:56 pm »

Regarding Backpacks:

Perhaps two sorts of backpacks. One would be a school bag. Common, good amount of volume, fairly encumbering. The other, hiking packs, would have a much higher volume, but be far rarer then the school bags, and perhaps have 1 point less encumbrance. Although, with both of them, wearing an empty schoolbag wouldn't effect you at all, while an empty hiking pack would still be annoying. Not sure if it is worth coding in that distinction or not though.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7713 on: November 08, 2011, 04:18:13 pm »

Finally managed to find a refuge north of town, in a pot basement. Not plagued by ants or fungus. Plagued by SCHUD instead. What the hell is wrong with this town?

At least I can dig pits in the ground here, and thus provide a more or less safer sleeping environment than my other basement did. Provided I find a shovel

I'm beggining to consider sleeping in the surface, which is annoying, but at least I usually got a couple of hours of sleep before inevitably something came crashing around...

Alternatively, if I manage to get building high enough, I'll just build a wall and a door around my bed there, and stay in that area. The main problem were ants disturbing my sleep and stalking me on the way to the bed. With that I'd solve half of the problem.

The other half I can control with ammunition -for now-. I suspect I'll have to keep a few loaded crossbows on hand, when I inevitably run out...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 04:21:14 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7714 on: November 08, 2011, 04:19:50 pm »

Speaking of pits, Spike pits are vicious, I have 3 lines of them around my safehouse and absolutely nothing can get through them, it's awesome.
*Hugs*

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7715 on: November 08, 2011, 04:25:30 pm »

Regarding Backpacks:

Perhaps two sorts of backpacks. One would be a school bag. Common, good amount of volume, fairly encumbering. The other, hiking packs, would have a much higher volume, but be far rarer then the school bags, and perhaps have 1 point less encumbrance. Although, with both of them, wearing an empty schoolbag wouldn't effect you at all, while an empty hiking pack would still be annoying. Not sure if it is worth coding in that distinction or not though.

That would defeat the whole point of backpacks being high encumbrance--that such high volume limits comes with a significant price.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7716 on: November 08, 2011, 04:27:26 pm »

I don't get how a camping backpack would provide less encumberance than a school one, either.

Maybe messenger bags should provide less encumberance than backpacks, though. As it is there's no reason to use the former when you find the latter. (given that they have about one third of bp's storage, and the same encumberance, afaik)

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7717 on: November 08, 2011, 05:08:04 pm »

I don't get how a camping backpack would provide less encumberance than a school one, either.

Most hiking back packs are meant for long distance travel, they are far better designed and the usually have far more support in terms of shape and the locations of straps than your average high school backpack.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7718 on: November 08, 2011, 05:51:23 pm »

Most hiking back packs are meant for long distance travel, they are far better designed and the usually have far more support in terms of shape and the locations of straps than your average high school backpack.
They're also better balanced and won't slide around on your back when you are walking or running. Less shifting of weight means less encumbrance despite a bigger load.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7719 on: November 08, 2011, 06:06:45 pm »

They're also unbalanced because of that. Perhaps allowing it to carry even more content for the same encumbrance, but unless Whales made it so that the encumbrance could go into decimals, removing even a single point of encumbrance would be a major imbalance, especially considering the highly-encumbering backpack only gives 2 encumbrance points to begin with.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7720 on: November 08, 2011, 06:21:00 pm »

They're also unbalanced because of that.

They're unbalanced because they won't shift around while you move ???? Isn't that the opposite of being unbalanced? It might make a person top heavy, but any backpack will do that, and survival backpacks tend to spread out the weight far better.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7721 on: November 08, 2011, 06:22:29 pm »

Unbalanced in video game terms. Sorry for the confusion.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7722 on: November 08, 2011, 06:40:35 pm »

Not if you make them rare and hard to get enough. Accessibility is a pretty big factor in determining how unbalanced a certain factor in a game is too :P.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7723 on: November 08, 2011, 08:09:21 pm »

Not if you make them rare and hard to get enough. Accessibility is a pretty big factor in determining how unbalanced a certain factor in a game is too :P.

The only thing I see that's become consistently alot harder to find as compared back during the time of the beginning of the thread are guns and to a lesser extent, ammo.

It's a crapshoot whether or not something decides to be rare or common.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7724 on: November 08, 2011, 08:35:18 pm »

They're also better balanced and won't slide around on your back when you are walking or running. Less shifting of weight means less encumbrance despite a bigger load.
Also, I saw it as something of a sliding scale. An empty school bag on your back isn't going to cause any issues in a fight, while even an empty hiking pack is going to throw you off a bit. A full school bag, on the other hand, is going to throw you off much more then a full hiking pack.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 777