Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263437 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #8205 on: November 29, 2011, 10:31:09 pm »

You need to edit and compile, usually done using the same tool.  I'm familiar with Bloodshed C++ as a compiler, but the guide FunctionZero put up here shows how to utilize Code::Blocks, which is an altogether more stylish compiler.

If you're in Linux then you've already got all the tools, just edit the file via text editor and then "make" in terminal.  Linux is pretty much made to be a designer's OS, so it's infinitely simpler to compile things.

I've not looked into them yet, but using .diff files seems to be preferred for releasing mods.  These are, basically, a file that edits other files.  You can specify "edit X file, find this line, and add this set of text" to easily add a chunk of code or remove a chunk.  Very handy for letting others install your mod with a simple click, but I haven't researched them so I can't say how they work or anything.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8206 on: November 29, 2011, 11:18:09 pm »

You need to edit and compile, usually done using the same tool.
That's kinda what I meant to avoid. Since DF loads all its raws each time the program starts, rather then requiring a recompile. Granted, I have zero idea on how hard that is to do.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8207 on: November 29, 2011, 11:29:59 pm »

You need to edit and compile, usually done using the same tool.
That's kinda what I meant to avoid. Since DF loads all its raws each time the program starts, rather then requiring a recompile. Granted, I have zero idea on how hard that is to do.

Conceptually, reading data from some sort of file isn't much (if any) harder than just hardcoding everything in the source. However, there's always the distinct possibility that Cataclysm's current code would prevent that from being a trivial task.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8208 on: November 29, 2011, 11:34:30 pm »

It should be comparatively easy to do, from what I know, just not very worthwhile.  The issue of compiling is minor when you consider how easy it is to do.  I mean, it's a fair bit of trouble for someone who just wants to hop in and start playing, but if you're taking the trouble to get into it then compiling is easy.  You just edit some files and hit the compile button, assuming you didn't break anything then it runs as normal.  It's true that it's not the most user-friendly method of modding, but it's rather easier than other methods of hardcoding.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8209 on: November 29, 2011, 11:38:04 pm »

It should be comparatively easy to do, from what I know, just not very worthwhile.  The issue of compiling is minor when you consider how easy it is to do.  I mean, it's a fair bit of trouble for someone who just wants to hop in and start playing, but if you're taking the trouble to get into it then compiling is easy.  You just edit some files and hit the compile button, assuming you didn't break anything then it runs as normal.  It's true that it's not the most user-friendly method of modding, but it's rather easier than other methods of hardcoding.

It's not user-friendly at all, and requires you to have different copies of the program for different mods. And I'm sorry, but editing text files presents far less of a barrier to entry than editing and compiling source does.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8210 on: November 29, 2011, 11:54:00 pm »

No, it's not laid out on a silver platter, but Whales has made the majority of the code easy to understand with even a cursory knowledge of how code works.  The method of compiling to apply a mod is more difficult than loading from a text file, but it allows 1: more freedom of modding, since you can change the entire source instead of just what's described in text files.  Like where DF doesn't allow you to edit constructions or vanilla workshops, Cataclysm will let you redefine everything if you want to!  And 2: is easier to run in coding terms.  Whales has more or less stated that he's developing the game as he wants, and if someone does a useful mod then he'll merge it, but he's not actively encouraging any mods.  I doubt he's going to take the time to alter code to make it easier to do something he's neutral about.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8211 on: November 30, 2011, 01:14:11 am »

but it allows 1: more freedom of modding, since you can change the entire source instead of just what's described in text files.

Er, you'd be able to do this anyway. It's open-source. I wasn't comparing Cataclysm to a non-open-source version of itself, just a version of itself that loaded object data from editable files. Open source vs. closed source was never really a part of this.

Whales has more or less stated that he's developing the game as he wants, and if someone does a useful mod then he'll merge it, but he's not actively encouraging any mods.  I doubt he's going to take the time to alter code to make it easier to do something he's neutral about.

I'm not saying he should take the time, or will; I'm just talking about the relative merits and difficulty of doing it.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8212 on: November 30, 2011, 04:00:05 pm »

In any case, mod files are planned, if I recall correctly. (It's been a while since this was discussed.) It's more low-priority right now though.

smariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8213 on: December 01, 2011, 07:46:06 pm »

Just browsing the compiler warnings, and noticed one that wasn't a false positive.

monattack.cpp: void mattack::triffid_heartbeat(game *g, monster *z)

Code: [Select]
if (z->posx < 0 || z->posx >= SEEX * 3 & z->posy < 0 && z->posy >= SEEY * 3)
//                                     ^ Oh noes.
Likes schrödinbugs for their reality destroying implications.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8214 on: December 02, 2011, 02:17:32 am »

Just browsing the compiler warnings, and noticed one that wasn't a false positive.

monattack.cpp: void mattack::triffid_heartbeat(game *g, monster *z)

Code: [Select]
if (z->posx < 0 || z->posx >= SEEX * 3 & z->posy < 0 && z->posy >= SEEY * 3)
//                                     ^ Oh noes.

Yeah, that entire line is a mess (but has been fixed for a pending update).
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8215 on: December 02, 2011, 02:42:13 am »

I'm back from Thanksgiving vacation!  And with a rather significant update.

Clean build required.  Saves incompatible.

Features:
  • A much larger active map.  Anything that's within your minimap (above your HP) is actively tracked.  Fields will be processed, traps will actually trap monsters, walls will block them.  You can stand anywhere in a megastore and be confident that there's only one point of entry.  This is somewhat game-changing; monsters spawn much farther away, and you'll stumble on them as you travel.  Staying still is safer, as monsters will only rarely find you.  It's easier to use buildings as cover.
    • This is easily configured at compile-time.  Edit map.h and change MAPSIZE; it should always be an odd number, at least 3.  Setting it to 3 will make the game play like before this update (but much more efficiently!  This may be appropriate if compiling, say, for a mobile device).
  • Lots of efficiency improvements.  Disk I/O has been reduced greatly.  The game probably won't run much smoother otherwise; mostly this efficiency improvement makes the larger active map possible.
  • Going down (or up) a Z-level will automatically map tiles that're up/down routes.  Thus, if you go down some stairs, and you know that there's a subway station to the north, the subway station will be automatically mapped underground.
    • This will also automatically place a note, "AUTO: goes up" if it's not obvious that the tile revealed is a route up.  Thus, the sewer below a manhole will receive this note.  This will not overwrite existing notes.
  • New overmap tiles: army surplus store, pawn shop.  Both appear as white ^>v<; bars are now pink.
  • New item: Vegetable MRE.
  • Some new artifact powers.
  • Artifacts tell you about their passive powers upon activation.
  • Bows fire and reload in a single action.

Tweaks:
  • Artifact powers rebalanced.  Artifacts will tend to be innocuous, or powerful and dangerous to the user.
  • Integrated Toolset never used as a hammer.  It can be used to remove glass panels.
  • Some fixes to the number of rags used to make clothing.
  • You can hold your breath much longer.
  • You can walk underwater faster.
  • Drowning deals damage more slowly.
  • If a necromancer raises a partially-burnt corpse, the resulting zombie will be weaker and slower.
  • The last Amigara Horror drops an artifact.
  • Wild dogs much less frequent.
  • Adult fungaloids are weaker in combat.
  • Spears in a pit have a chance to break when something falls on them (a monster or the player).
  • Instructions to refer to a non-existant Options screen removed from the tutorial.

Bug Fixes:
  • Body-consuming artifacts actually do so.
  • Fly-summoning artifact power works.
  • You can only listen to one mp3 player at a time.
  • No closing a door you're standing on.
  • Crash related to butchering nearby a vortex fixed.
  • Monsters will drop only one footstep sound clue per turn.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #8216 on: December 02, 2011, 03:01:52 am »

*is itching to play but waiting on NPCs*

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8217 on: December 02, 2011, 03:25:09 am »

*is itching to play but waiting on NPCs*

Duly noted.  I'm on it, I promise!

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8218 on: December 02, 2011, 03:34:55 am »

I'm playing still. I really urge for NPCS though now that more ingame tiles are calculated-And thank you for taking my advice/comments/whatever to heart, Whales, it's really awesome that you listened to the feedback. I'm sure other people talked about it too, though.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8219 on: December 02, 2011, 03:37:32 am »

I hope the windows port of this comes out soon, no more mobs from the nothingness!
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 777