Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263392 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #9480 on: June 02, 2012, 01:14:50 am »

On those vehicles, there are four in-mod (soon to be in-game  :D). I have no experience in adding to them for personal use as I can never find those welders...

> Motorcycle - Fast, agile and has that box at the back. Can traverse any terrain if moved slowly (this means you, forest and rubble). Lacks any seatbelt so any collision at fast speeds will hurt you.

Has two wheels, needs two wheels to move. Has the lowest fuel consumption.

> Quad-bike - The only vehicle to reach ~150+ speed and designate that as 'safe' (you won't get launched out of the seat upon collision due to seatbelts and you can cruise around without worry). Has one box that acts as another inventory at the back compartment. Care must be used upon driving at high speeds, as your vision is reduced by default and mostly, you move at about a whole map tile at 120+ speed.

Has four wheels, needs three to move.

> Car - Your average, run-of-the-mill automobile. Has four seats complete with seatbelts for passengers (NPCs?) that could be scavenged for other uses. Has two boxes named 'trunks' for storage. Noisy, but has protection in the front as steel plating and windshields (glass). It protects anyone inside from the weather. It has steel doors to close off the outside, but destroyable. Zombies can traverse the diagonal blocks of the car, but with slowed speed. (Acts as rails or counters, the diagonal blocks mean the other parts not mentioned that completes the car, being a rectangle.)

Has four wheels, needs three to move. View is limited at the ~240th degree angle and at the 300th degree angle, due to placing from the driver's seat (parts of the car acts as LoS blockers)

> Truck - The big daddy of them all. Loud, huge and armored to the core. Sadly, while using a truck, the user can only see half of the screen, minus what is behind him due to visual blockings. The Truck has 6 Trunk compartment slots that are located at the rear, separated from the front by a LoS blocker, a wall. The frontal part has the same features as the Car, but only has two seats complete with safety devices and an extra Box for storage.

Has four wheels, needs three to move. The Truck is the slowest to accelerate, and produces the loudest of noises. It uses more fuel than the other vehicles, but can mow down a whole horde of mundane zombies like...a truck.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9481 on: June 02, 2012, 03:37:22 am »

I always heard sound came first and sight last. Huh.
Also I'm aware of the lore (although it still doesn't explain the nature of the zombies so much), though they were still dead, and the ingame description mentions them being bodies rather than people, and that they are stumbling slowly. THEY ARE NOT VERY SLOW OR STUMBLY. Or at least, they're capable of chasing down a healthy human being.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9482 on: June 02, 2012, 05:19:57 am »

Zombies are slower than you unless you've been slowed by some external source. So no, they are not capable of chasing down a healthy human being, only an injured one :P
*Hugs*

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9483 on: June 02, 2012, 06:17:42 am »

It certainly seems to take a while to run away... They stay pretty much right behind me as I try to run away, and it takes about the distance between two towns to get any reasonable distance on them.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9484 on: June 02, 2012, 07:53:33 am »

It certainly seems to take a while to run away... They stay pretty much right behind me as I try to run away, and it takes about the distance between two towns to get any reasonable distance on them.

go to your character screen and check if there are any real high Encumbered values, Those can slow you down (the values depend on what you're wearing) Being in pain also reduces your speed. (be sure to always have painkillers on hand for various degrees of pain, asperin/codene/oxycodene.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #9485 on: June 02, 2012, 09:40:27 am »

Of course, painkillers can also reduce your speed.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9486 on: June 02, 2012, 09:48:31 am »

I only ever use painkillers at moderate pain or worse, seeing as how they can dope you up pretty bad.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9487 on: June 02, 2012, 10:32:34 am »

Zombies aren't really that slow.  They're not shamblers, but only a few are runners either.  I guess they just sort of... powerwalk?

On vehicles: A truck is no more armored than a car.  The front parts are mere frame.  But there seems to be some strange effect in play.  A truck is massive, it has a huge mass and that seems to decrease the damage from collisions.  If you ram a zombie with a truck, it takes very little damage.  Or it may just be that they're all fairly resistant and I just didn't notice the motorcycle's armor qualities.  The truck also has two gas tanks, affording it a rather large capacity.  It takes a little while to fill at the pump, but once it's fill it'll last for days.  But you'll find yourself abusing electronics stores frequently.  Repairing a truck will often consume a lot of battery power from a welder, and the Large Wheels takes level 5 in mechanics to repair.

In my game, I came across a motorcycle, and stripped it to nothing.  A few steel sheets I installed over my tires because the tires were taking more damage than other sections.  I also gained a few more sheets by ripping out the back wall and replacing it with frames (remove steel sheets from the truck, add steel frames) so now I can walk behind the driver's seat and enter the trunk, as well as see behind me.  I also found a military bunker and some grenades, so I got into all the stock and found no less than two plasma rifles and some hydrogen.  I don't have the skill to instal them, sadly.  There was also a lot of explosives, so I may be visiting some labs and forcefully entering, but my electronics skill is low and my battery stocks are on empty, so I'll probably be looking for a new electronics store to loot and refill some UPSs.  Repairing this truck consumes massive battery for the welder, but you can mow down a whole horde at 30 mph, crash directly into a store, and hop out untouched and vehicle still running.  More armor will help when I can find some vehicles to tear apart, so I'm likely to go to another town to try and check out their parking lots.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9488 on: June 02, 2012, 10:35:17 am »

I usually just melt down all the scrap I can get my hands on in order to make my own steel frames and such.
*Hugs*

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9489 on: June 02, 2012, 10:51:04 am »

I attempted wolf's mod, but it seems... I dunno.  The damaged buildings make it almost impossible to hide or get anything good done, and after hitting a half dozen hardware stores I came to the conclusion that things like steel frames don't spawn.  Then again I didn't go bashing anything, so maybe I should have been destroying shelves to get steel, or something.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9490 on: June 02, 2012, 10:58:31 am »

Yeah, he's planning on doing a total rewrite with the next version, I'm using the one before damaged buildings too.
*Hugs*

Danv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9491 on: June 02, 2012, 12:25:54 pm »

i'm using latest version of wolf's mod (with damaged buildings) - lots of steel frames around craters, it is main source of frames and steel chunks for me

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9492 on: June 02, 2012, 01:06:07 pm »

I accidentally closed the game without saving, it bugged, and when I reloaded my truck was gone T_T

Firing up a new game with opaque doors version.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9493 on: June 02, 2012, 01:08:41 pm »

He's added them in an external door and internal door flavour, because he wasn't sure which you wantd :P Same requirements as normal doors it seems.
*Hugs*

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9494 on: June 02, 2012, 01:12:45 pm »

I'm not sure what the difference is, in gameplay.  Do they act different?

Either way, just found a car.  Looks like the fun resumes!
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 777