Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260287 times)

therealmarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #9795 on: June 10, 2012, 06:27:40 am »

So, with toilet water:
1. Why not just drink out of the top tank? That's the only reliable source of fresh water that you can possibly find in the apocalypse outside a bottle.
2. When you get food poisoning and throw up, doesn't that end up making you thirstier?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9796 on: June 10, 2012, 06:31:19 am »

1) You are drinking out of the top tank, stagnant water is nasty no matter where it comes from

2) It probably should
*Hugs*

therealmarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9797 on: June 10, 2012, 07:25:19 am »

Stagnant water, yes, but this water's been in a covered, nearly sealed container, and it's probably got chloramine in it, which is pretty stable and kills things. It might have, like, dust collected in it, but chances are anything in it that's a bug will be dead.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9798 on: June 10, 2012, 08:47:27 am »

Stagnant water, yes, but this water's been in a covered, nearly sealed container, and it's probably got chloramine in it, which is pretty stable and kills things. It might have, like, dust collected in it, but chances are anything in it that's a bug will be dead.

Depending on how the zombie apocalypse started, there could be like, zombie toxins in the water, maybe? Iunno, just speculating at this point. :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9799 on: June 10, 2012, 09:00:38 am »

Whales is posting a windows executable with every release, and all the mod makers are releasing linux .diff, linux executable, and windows executable, so there's no longer any excuse "I want to play but I don't know how to compile things."

Throwing up does make you thirsty and hungry, but only a little.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9800 on: June 10, 2012, 03:00:04 pm »

Turns out there's an updated version of DLWolf's mod, with some bugfixes and other minor changes. And another additional version that includes extended view, which... extends your view by pressing "X".

Both can be found in this thread. Scroll down for the extended view version.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 03:02:20 pm by Blaze »

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9801 on: June 10, 2012, 04:36:34 pm »

I once didn't use the downstairs toilet in my house all winter (it was a poorly insulated bathroom, so I sealed it off and just used the upstairs one).  Come spring, I opened it up, and the tank was pretty sludgey.

Throwing up increases hunger and thirst by 30 each.  For reference, water decreases thirst by 50, and a beef MRE decreases hunger by 50.

Throwing up also costs you a turn, which isn't a big deal unless you're in combat, and it removes any painkillers that're still being digested.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9802 on: June 10, 2012, 04:40:29 pm »

Throwing up also costs you a turn, which isn't a big deal unless you're in combat, and it removes any painkillers that're still being digested.
Is there a timer to know when until any drugs take effect? That would help a lot, even from a meta position.  :P

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9803 on: June 10, 2012, 04:49:39 pm »

Is there a timer to know when until any drugs take effect? That would help a lot, even from a meta position.  :P

Almost all start taking effect immediately.  However, the painkiller effect is slowly added to you; it can take 50-70 turns for the full effect to be reached.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9804 on: June 10, 2012, 05:33:36 pm »

Reading skill books doesn't seem to increase my skills by any amount, regardless of how small. And I spent an hour ingame reading Guns and Ammo. Is this a bug, or should I be reading more?

Also, what would a good starter-ish character's skillset be? Seems like all the original templates that were present in Cataclysm are no longer there.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9805 on: June 10, 2012, 05:40:30 pm »

It usualy takes several in game hours of reading to get a skill increase, even with fast reader.

A good starter skillset would be one with balanced stats, taking fast runner and maybe 1 point into dodge. Negative traits like ugly and truth teller are free points atm, so take them to get some extra points.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9806 on: June 10, 2012, 05:40:57 pm »

Books give very small exp but take a very short time to read, so you have to read a bunch of times.  If your skill is below level 1 you won't see increase.  Once it reaches 1, you'll see it starting to rise.

Starting character?  Quick, Light Eater, higher strength, and whatever.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9807 on: June 10, 2012, 07:47:03 pm »

Hey, I am just wondering if there is a way to mix bleach and ammonia? Last time I tried I drank a bottle of bleach :-\.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9808 on: June 10, 2012, 07:56:42 pm »

The only way to mix them is to craft tear gas.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9809 on: June 10, 2012, 07:59:04 pm »

Hey, I am just wondering if there is a way to mix bleach and ammonia? Last time I tried I drank a bottle of bleach :-\.
Whales should put manual mixing in. The stomach won't handle it into a useful solution... :P
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 777