Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263075 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #9840 on: June 12, 2012, 08:08:11 pm »

As long as you avoid making noise, you should be alright. If you get some shriekers on your trail, THEN you might have some difficulty escaping, though.

Imo, the spawning algorithm is pretty messed up right now. Incredibly weird to have zombies attacking me FROM my safehouse (which never had a zombie in it before) simply because a single zombie followed me there from the city before I killed it. I think if you aren't in a "zombie" area, at the very least, they should spawn form the direction of the nearest one.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9841 on: June 12, 2012, 08:21:48 pm »

Imo, the spawning algorithm is pretty messed up right now. Incredibly weird to have zombies attacking me FROM my safehouse (which never had a zombie in it before) simply because a single zombie followed me there from the city before I killed it. I think if you aren't in a "zombie" area, at the very least, they should spawn form the direction of the nearest one.

It doesn't work like that.  If your safehouse isn't in zombie spawning territory, then zombies won't spawn there at all, regardless of whether any follow you home.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9842 on: June 12, 2012, 08:28:44 pm »

Is a zombie territory expand far from a city ?

The starting shelter was at some medium distance from a group of building (i assume to be considered as a city as there was a large road around them) , and after being spotted by a zombie i ran back to the shelter, letting the NPC follower dealing with it (as i was without weapons) and found a zombie in the shelter basement (he wasn't inside of it at the game start).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9843 on: June 12, 2012, 09:22:38 pm »

Basements are buggy.  I stepped into a basement with a flashlight.  Moved along the shelf that ran north to south, and in the process the stairs left my square of vision.  When I went back south, I had triffids and fast zombies spawned on the stairs.  There was NOTHING upstairs when I had descended 2 in-game minutes earlier!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9844 on: June 12, 2012, 09:36:09 pm »

It doesn't work like that.  If your safehouse isn't in zombie spawning territory, then zombies won't spawn there at all, regardless of whether any follow you home.

Maybe that's not the way it's /supposed/ to work. But its pretty consistant in an area that normally only spawns animals, it will spawn zombies on my back from town with the pack on my tail. It doesn't /last/, thank goodness, it usually seems to be one or two bursts of spawning and then I set. Maybe it's, like, some sort of mix-spawned zone or something? I don't really know how the zombie spawning works.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9845 on: June 12, 2012, 10:49:37 pm »

I've noticed that as well, with zeds spawning in front of me while I'm running away from a town (and 10-15 map tiles away from the edge) when I have a horde on my back. Do keep in mind that it isn't uncommon for shelters to be close enough for zeds to spawn within vision range of them; this is why I recommend finding either a bunker, a silo, a lone cabin, or building your own shelter very far (1 map block [not tile] at least from any sort of settlement; if the path home is long enough, you'll lose any followers. If transporting materials is a problem even with double backpacks (i.e. before you have a truck or custom ride), you can build a little shack at the halfway point and drop gathered materials off there first, letting you make shorter trips into town.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9846 on: June 12, 2012, 11:47:47 pm »

Yeah, the issue seems to be that as long as YOU are within the zombie spawn area, they can spawn ANYWHERE at the edge of their spawn radius, letting them spawn beyond at least a good distance beyond the edge of zombie-town. That would explain why I only seem to get one or two spawns before it tapers offer.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9847 on: June 12, 2012, 11:54:14 pm »

Other tricks I have for escaping are a fighting fallback, stop at a fence, kill zombies till one hits you, fall back to a window, kill till one hits you, fall to a counter, kill till one hits you, etc, only works is you are on addy or the like, but is amazingly effective.  Other thing I do is set up houses with cleaned out single tile windows on multiple sides them marking them on my map, If i get into strife I just bolt through one of these houses, later game I start dropping loaded shotguns in obvious places in these houses.

That and walls of pits that I mark on my map, they help heaps. 

Can anybody tell me where welders spawn?
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9848 on: June 12, 2012, 11:56:47 pm »

Hardware stores infrequently, assuming you're running Vehicle mod.  Darkwolf's mod seems to reduce all item spawns and make welders very rare.

My favorite escape is the molotov.  For the sound of one breaking glass you can set the street alight and kill two dozen well-placed zed.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9849 on: June 13, 2012, 12:11:29 am »

Yep. A well-aimed Molotov will easily clean up a small horde, as they tend to ignore fire while chasing you.

In response to an earlier question: No, at the moment, the NPC quest is just a waste of valuable low-spawn time.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9850 on: June 13, 2012, 01:22:43 am »

I was given a laser pistol by one once, by means of the persuade skill. No ammo of course, but that was neat.

Another gave me a katana. Enter me one shotting a majority of early zombies with no skill, assuming I hit, and then spending another turn or two removing it from them... usually ending with me being surrounded.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9851 on: June 13, 2012, 01:27:03 am »

So, are there mods at the moment that continue from the last "official" version? Everybody seems to be talking about the vehicle mod, but are their any other main ones that everyone's using?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9852 on: June 13, 2012, 01:29:55 am »

Most people are using DarklingWolf's mod.
*Hugs*

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9853 on: June 13, 2012, 02:01:31 am »

Most people are using DarklingWolf's mod.

This. It is the version I've had the most success with, insofar as being Windows ready, and I haven't encountered any bugs to speak of yet. Then again, I tend to die fairly quickly due to zombie mobs finding me.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9854 on: June 13, 2012, 07:51:38 am »

Did a nice run, in term of surviving longer than usual, as in term of finding something good to fight all i found was a butter knife .

for 2 days, explored a few houses in town, and ran away from zombies back to the shelter as the zombie killing NPC had a double barreled shotgun.
The zombies then decided to spawn in the basement and come up as usual, all were shot by NPC.
It allowed me to loot a nice FPN90 with .... 0 ammo, and obviously nowhere around i found any kind of ammo for any kind of guns anyways :D

At some point i decided to go to the NPC quest, getting in his house and getting his computer data on usb, the quest failed last time, but with some lucks it could turn better.
The NPC agreed to come with me, what he refused a few days ago when i asked him on my first item gathering patrol.

Good, as there have been lot of zombies spawned since the 1st day.
We arrived near his house, after he got rid of 2 bears and 3 wolves while i was tactically moving behind him with my butter knife :D

Then we spotted 2 zombies that did the same, one of them being a shocker, shooting electricity.
The NPC ran to them and headshotted both.

Unfortunately, that house was in town, and unloading a very noisy weapon in an infested zombie spawn  zone, well, let's say that the legions of zombies that came after us were really numerous, brave NPC fought them and killed 5 or 6 before being killed in his turn.
Unfortunately for my moving away tactic, several of those zombies turned out to be "fast zombies", meaning that running away was useless.

Where's my teleport scroll ! i can't find it ! :D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:53:36 am by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 777