Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263175 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10095 on: July 01, 2012, 11:28:50 am »

You could try running  :P

Also, balance note: Once an NPC is your follower, he can teach you all his skills. Probably intentional. However, I just started, and my dodge is up to level 5, and melee up to level 6 from the evac civilian. He also has many other skills that I plan to get in a moment.

Perhaps civilians should have a low skill cap? Or maybe it should take longer to teach skills?
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10096 on: July 01, 2012, 11:30:26 am »

Is that an exploit? Just seems like your guy is being whiny until they take all of that stuff.
This has been reinforced when in a past version, I once got handed a live molotov.

Ninjedit: I do try running, then they punch me, I slow down and get violently beaten to death.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10097 on: July 01, 2012, 11:44:32 am »

I do the asking for more stuff thing all the time. I think its more of an exploit that said NPC usualy has a ridiculous amount of stuff of varying quality with him. Seriously they've given me anything from lighters to portal generators.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10098 on: July 01, 2012, 11:52:06 am »

Ninjedit: I do try running, then they punch me, I slow down and get violently beaten to death.
You do know that you should be running away, right?  Seriously, the Quick trait is good, but even without it you're faster than a green.  Duck through windows and head out the back door to lose chasers.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10099 on: July 01, 2012, 12:00:29 pm »

Thing is, they generally end up in front of me and to the side, so they catch up to me wherever I go.
Even then, I kind of need to go into towns in order to get things. It gets difficult to really get far when you have pretty much nothing to fight with, can barely run away and only occasionally have some tins of spam in the evac shelter.
The longest I've ever lived was when a beehive only spawned two bees, and I managed to beat them to death individually using a stick; then lived off honeycombs and puddle water. Not much about it really happened that was interesting.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10100 on: July 01, 2012, 12:04:40 pm »

I still don't know what you're doing wrong.  Your intent should just be to run through everything.  Evade zombies, find a sporting goods store, and keep going.

If they're in front of you just sidestep.  1-3-7-9, these keys will move you diagonally and help you not get your ass killed.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10101 on: July 01, 2012, 12:05:18 pm »

Or just grab a heavy stick and go to town on them.
*Hugs*

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10102 on: July 01, 2012, 12:06:16 pm »

You do know that you should be running away, right?  Seriously, the Quick trait is good, but even without it you're faster than a green.  Duck through windows and head out the back door to lose chasers.
This. You're always faster than normal greens (and most of the specials as well); Quick and the fast running trait both make you even faster, as does wearing a skirt. This is a survival game, after all; you won't be able to mow down a horde of greens without substantial resources/long periods of kiting and windowsitting, and by the time you can, you'll be up against much worse things. Also, skills. If you aren't going for a survivalist build, you're probably going to be hiding in a back room getting wasted and reading through every skillbook you can find for the first day or two.

In all actuality, you need very little to survive, and should usually be able to get most of that in the grace period unless you got a really shitty spawn location.

Also, even if you've got zeds all around you, they're slow enough that you can weave between them without too many problems, as long as you haven't taken a bunch of hits already. It seems obvious, but remember your diagonal movement. Use terrain (windows, lava, fences, counters) to slow down zeds.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10103 on: July 01, 2012, 12:42:25 pm »

Lady wants me to go find her dog > bring the dog back > ask if she can teach me something in exchange > she doesn't have any teachable skills > "Oh, okay." > segmentation fault

Looks like a really sweet update, though, if I can manage to not die or crash long enough to try out all the new stuff. :P

ED: the game also gives me a couple debug errors concerning unknown actions in data/keymap.txt when I start it; "debug_mon", and "~"
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:49:47 pm by HailFire »
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10104 on: July 01, 2012, 12:49:10 pm »

So styles are supposed to be taught by NPCs? Guess I'll be hunting some down then.

Also, to survive early, what I do is keep moving until you find a safe place you can use as your headquarters, like a Lab or a military bunker of sorts (once you can open the doors, obviously), then stock up on everything you find useful and read all books you can find. If you're a melee type, get yourself a crowbar and raid pawn shops for rapiers/broadswords.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10105 on: July 01, 2012, 01:39:45 pm »

Oh god. It's the blobs all over again. D:

Leaves ally for dead
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10106 on: July 01, 2012, 01:43:47 pm »

I found that I can make my running-from-zombies spree last much longer by running through and setting fire to and then running through liquor stores/bars/any building if I'm carrying booze. I still eventually die on it though. And I think I'm getting the hang of what kinds of buildings to hit too. Speed through a pharmacy and grab some painkillers, through a house for some cargo clothes, run away as fast as possible. Unfortunately, I always fall on the last step because I get cut on a window frame or have gotten a few hits by a zombie that got too close. Then I become slow and get mobbed.
Better than dying straight away though.

Ninjedit: Oh lord the fungal zombies. THEY NEVER STOP.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10107 on: July 01, 2012, 01:48:18 pm »

:-\

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10108 on: July 01, 2012, 01:58:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:-\

Those Mad Max type vehicles always seemed like they were put together better.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10109 on: July 01, 2012, 02:05:05 pm »

There are so many worms in my new world. So many.

I've killed around eighty so far, I think, and they just keep coming. My safe house is surrounded by mounds of dirt piled on top of half worm corpses, on top of mounds of dirt.

So it's going pretty good so far. The new update is great!
Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 777