Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263080 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10260 on: July 06, 2012, 07:12:06 am »

Cataclysm's forums registration system is notorious for it's bugs.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10261 on: July 06, 2012, 07:15:05 am »

So, I don't really understand how to gas up my car at gas stations. I mean, I press Y/N until I get the "refill car?" query, but then I can't figure out what direction is a valid direction.
The four cardinal directions.

Meaning up, down, left and right.  :P

The vehicle must also be right next to the gas pump.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10262 on: July 06, 2012, 07:17:59 am »

So, I don't really understand how to gas up my car at gas stations. I mean, I press Y/N until I get the "refill car?" query, but then I can't figure out what direction is a valid direction.

It's really not that hard to figure out, bud. I mean, it's bloody basic. If you can't figure that out, Cataclysm isn't for you!

If not being able to help someone out without being a prick about it makes Cataclysm for oneself, though, I'm not sure I want it to be for me.

I wouldn't say my comment was in the extreme regions of prickishness, but I agree it had some degree of harshness due to the disbelief that three very simple questions had stumped an adult.

As for the Cataclysm comment, it was based around it being a relatively complex game to work out at times - and as a result, would pose more of a threat than three questions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10263 on: July 06, 2012, 07:26:09 am »

The four cardinal directions.

Meaning up, down, left and right.  :P

The vehicle must also be right next to the gas pump.

...Too simple man, too simple. I parked it next to the pump, then kept pressing diagonally to the car tank. Then I thought "hey maybe it has to be [cardinal]" and moved a square down so I could still press towards the tank ;D
Love, scriver~

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #10264 on: July 06, 2012, 07:32:04 am »

A valid direction is any tile containing part of the vehicle, including diagonals. You don't need to select the fuel tank.
It can be refilled as long as your character is adjacent to both the pump and any part of the vehicle, so it could be two tiles away.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10265 on: July 06, 2012, 08:17:55 am »

But if that was the case, why didn't it work? Maybe it wasn't empty enough to be able to be refilled... In which case I should perhaps ask whales to change the message from "invalid direction" to "tank is already full".
Love, scriver~

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10266 on: July 06, 2012, 08:19:03 am »

A valid direction is any tile containing part of the vehicle, including diagonals. You don't need to select the fuel tank.
It can be refilled as long as your character is adjacent to both the pump and any part of the vehicle, so it could be two tiles away.

Lies. >:|

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #10267 on: July 06, 2012, 08:52:33 am »

Are you using the arrow/vi keys or the numpad to select the vehicle?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10268 on: July 06, 2012, 09:35:25 am »

But if that was the case, why didn't it work? Maybe it wasn't empty enough to be able to be refilled... In which case I should perhaps ask whales to change the message from "invalid direction" to "tank is already full".

If the tank's fill level is less than F, then you should be able to fill it. It takes many "fill" jobs to actually fill the tank to its maximum, and there is a message that tells you this. I'm not sure if there's an additional message if you try again.

Lies. >:|
Huh?

Are you using the arrow/vi keys or the numpad to select the vehicle?

I use the arrow/vi keys myself (no numpad).

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10269 on: July 06, 2012, 09:37:55 am »

The numberpad doesn't work at all for filling up cars. Which is likely to be the issue at hand.
*Hugs*

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10270 on: July 06, 2012, 09:55:25 am »

That would explain it, then, as the numpad is what I've been using.

Why the hell would the numpad work differently than the arrow keys here, why would the gas filling code even detect a difference - shouldn't the interface layer just be throwing it a direction? Ugh.

Anyway, that explains it at least.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10271 on: July 06, 2012, 10:03:40 am »

Makes sense.

Speaking of direction bugs, [e]xamine used to ask you for a direction, but now there is no message. It still works as before, so it's not a huge issue, but it could be confusing for newcomers. Other actions like [D]rop still get the message.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10272 on: July 06, 2012, 10:47:53 am »

Makes sense.

Speaking of direction bugs, [e]xamine used to ask you for a direction, but now there is no message. It still works as before, so it's not a huge issue, but it could be confusing for newcomers. Other actions like [D]rop still get the message.

The source code still looks to send the message for examine, just after the check for if you are exiting a vehicle It works when I try it, appears in the top left, are you sure you don't get it?

The message I get is "Examine where? (Direction button)"

I am running off the latest source release though, so if your using a prebuilt version it might differ.

Why the hell would the numpad work differently than the arrow keys here, why would the gas filling code even detect a difference - shouldn't the interface layer just be throwing it a direction? Ugh.

It appears to use an old version of the get_directions code which doesn't use Whales' much nicer keymap system so doesn't support the keypad.
Looks like it's only the vehicle code that uses this so it's probably just an oversight in the merge. If your happy to build from source then there is (now) a pull request with this change you can merge into your local clone.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:06:08 am by Shades »
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10273 on: July 06, 2012, 12:40:58 pm »

The source code still looks to send the message for examine, just after the check for if you are exiting a vehicle It works when I try it, appears in the top left, are you sure you don't get it?

The message I get is "Examine where? (Direction button)"

I am running off the latest source release though, so if your using a prebuilt version it might differ.

I'm using the latest Windows build that Whales posted.

The message fails to appear either when you are on foot, or if you are sitting in/on a vehicle and you select N when it asks if you want to exit.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10274 on: July 06, 2012, 02:42:17 pm »

Haven't read this whole convo, but have you tried examining the pump with your vehicle beside it? tha's how i fill mine up.
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 777