Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263473 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10350 on: July 10, 2012, 05:24:04 pm »

I just wish doing easy stuff like sitting still, reading, or sleeping didn't eat up so much hunger and thirst. It'd make it more feasible to stick around in your shack all day and read books.

Also that cravings can make you almost as sad as being drunk and high at the same time. the PC really sucks at being a stable person, honestly

I don't really see how that's unrealistic if you're running around hitting up on drugs and drinking booze. Alcoholism and drug abuse aren't really conducive to a stable lifestyle.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10351 on: July 10, 2012, 05:32:21 pm »

Also that cravings can make you almost as sad as being drunk and high at the same time. the PC really sucks at being a stable person, honestly

I don't really see how that's unrealistic if you're running around hitting up on drugs and drinking booze. Alcoholism and drug abuse aren't really conducive to a stable lifestyle.
Thing is that in this case it was only booze cravings.
And alchohol is a depressant anyway. It seems a bit odd that being high as a kite and having just eaten some freshly-cooked deer JUST offsets the addiction penalty. But whatever, I'll just assume that the PC is canonically really bad at letting things go. Which totes explains why they managed to get into a bunker with a well-armed survivor who hates them. The other survivor is obviously an ex and the PC has been following them around because they can't come to terms with the end of their relationship. When the zombie population got to the self-reinforcing stage, the PC immediately went to look for their ex, and dodged into a bunker with them. The ex, despite their disgust, didn't have the heart to throw the PC out.
Yup. No way this could be wrong.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10352 on: July 10, 2012, 05:33:46 pm »

Withdrawals hurt in real life.  That part is reflected just fine.

But yeah, Cataclysm has no real concept of "time spent not exhausting yourself."  I think if I were going to mod in anything, it would be a background statistic, a fatigue stat.  When you attack it adds +1 to fatigue.  When you move it has a 10% chance of adding fatigue.  When you get the check for hunger every 5 minutes, it would reduce fatigue by 1 and add 1 hunger.  If you have no fatigue, then it has a 25% chance of adding 1 hunger.  In this way, you can do a lot of fighting and it'll make you hungry afterwards, but if you're just loitering casually and reading, then you won't become hungry very fast.

Of course it would need to be tweaked for balance, but you get the idea.  The fatigue stat would be hidden, so there'd be no extra number on the HUD to look after.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10353 on: July 11, 2012, 03:12:32 am »

is fire supposed to generate light?  I assume nothing generates light yet.  Any ETA on that?

I've been playing around with trying to add that, allowing the map to show when lit by fire was easy enough, and the handy sees method means tying in things like walls and smoke blocking light but windows not was easy to tie in. (although smoke blocking light looks strange sometimes imo)

Making the rest of the code react to the light is proving to be tricky as sight range checks are scattered through it. In some cases, like being able to read and making monsters see you, were easy to modify that to support light however I'm a little stuck on the fact your throw/fire range is limited to your sight range.

I'm unsure if I should just open the restriction on range to any square or try and find a nice way of only allowing navigation to lit squares. In the latter case I could do with some suggestions on what is a nice interface for this, should I just attempt to leap dark squares in the general direction the select cursor is moved.

I'm also unsure if the low-light / greyscale squares at the edge of light sources work well. I've also stuck to square light like the torch, although it doesn't look as good for fires so I might switch to radial light, thoughts?

Spoiler: screen shot (click to show/hide)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10354 on: July 11, 2012, 05:19:48 am »

I'm *trying* to start this, but so far the tutorial has been very confusing.

I think that i did everything, but the zombie that was supposed to spawn nearby doesnt seem to have spawned.
I realize that this is not the kind of tutorial thats supposed to end, but i'm just quite confused..

The first time i started it up, there were traps in the right bottom corner of the top bit of the tutorial. Crossbow trap, bear trap, shotgun trap.

NVM, i *think* i got it.

EDIT:

Oh god, mayby igniting the gasoline was not the best idea ever....

EDIT:

I managed to break the lower floor of the tutorial
Going down there crashes the game :P

EDIT:

Oh god, i actually managed to escape the tutorial building by stepping trough raging fire. I died after that tough :(
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 06:22:03 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #10355 on: July 11, 2012, 06:56:39 am »

[...]
I'm also unsure if the low-light / greyscale squares at the edge of light sources work well. I've also stuck to square light like the torch, although it doesn't look as good for fires so I might switch to radial light, thoughts?
This is beautiful. Why don't you post it in the modding section of the cata forums? I'm sure there's a lot of people who are interested in discussing this.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10356 on: July 11, 2012, 07:00:36 am »

Beautiful? It's some blue dots.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10357 on: July 11, 2012, 07:09:05 am »

First game.

Ask NPC for stuff, go to village, look around in houses, find steak knife, get chased by zombies, run back to shelter, let zombies slaughter friend, run along giant bee hive, flee from giant bees.

I think that i see where this is going.

Bees chased me to a cave, i entered it and got consumed by sewer rats.

I will give this another try soon-ish.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 07:13:49 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #10358 on: July 11, 2012, 07:52:31 am »

Beautiful? It's some blue dots.
I meant the light model detached from the player. By the way blue dots are cool too  :D

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10359 on: July 11, 2012, 08:12:01 am »

[...]
This is beautiful. Why don't you post it in the modding section of the cata forums? I'm sure there's a lot of people who are interested in discussing this.

wholeheartedly agreed, we hace an entire forum for cataclysm, and if you are a skilled modder we want you there.

plus with cataclysm, an idea like this has a 100% chance of being merged if you can do it right, Whales has been considering lighting upgrades for years.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10360 on: July 11, 2012, 10:12:25 am »

If you can get that lighting to work all the time, then yeah that opens up massive opportunities!  You should be sharing this, there's going to be a ton of interest.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10361 on: July 11, 2012, 10:24:01 am »

What would adding porchlights and streetlights do to the engine and how long would turns take to render when driving at 100mph?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10362 on: July 11, 2012, 10:35:11 am »

At 100MPH they already take forever.  At that speed, you'll be generating new map tiles every turn :P

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #10363 on: July 11, 2012, 10:38:58 am »

Not to mention crashing into said map tiles that didn't exist a moment ago.

Heck, driving at medium speeds is difficult with how small the screen is.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10364 on: July 11, 2012, 10:45:59 am »

Thanks, I've posted to the cata forums as suggested, I've not really been following those ones as much as I do bay12.
Really just want some suggestions on how to progress though so it makes sense to post there for help.

What would adding porchlights and streetlights do to the engine and how long would turns take to render when driving at 100mph?

Adding them as items wouldn't make much, if any, difference. Would just be another terrain type. Adding them to my lighting attempt would slow things down a little but probably not noticeably, as it generates the maps before actions and before drawing anyway. (Ideally I'd generate it map wide and make sources add and remove as they are created / destroyed but I didn't think about that when I started it)

If you can get that lighting to work all the time, then yeah that opens up massive opportunities!  You should be sharing this, there's going to be a ton of interest.

For map display the lights work although look strange with smoke. They don't play nice with ranged attacks though. (or npcs). The overmap also doesn't get effected whereas I imagine you should really be able to see large fires in the distance and the like.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 777