Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263441 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10470 on: July 15, 2012, 12:17:02 am »

Combat knives are for throwing!

Yes! Throwing is so OP, I love it. My most successful and long-lived characters weilded nothing but spears and combat knives. Mostly for throwing, but also good melee weapons in a bind.

I could kill most special Zs with a single throw at rank 4 (ish), not counting the very high HP ones (they'd take a few hits at most). I loved that magical moment when going into town didn't mean running from 50 zombies, it meant butchering 50 corpses.

I really need to get back into this. I got a bit burnt out last time, when I had a nice little shack in the middle of a forest, a bike for trips to the lake (to catch fresh fish and fill up water bottles), and a truck for scavenging excursions. What killed my enjoyment was the ever-increasing battle against skill erosion. Eventually all I'd be doing all day is struggling to keep all my skills from going red. I wish there was a mod or something to drastically slow that down, because I don't think it's very realistic to forget everything I know if I don't practice it every single day.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10471 on: July 15, 2012, 12:29:55 am »

There's a bionic for it, but then your challenge becomes "how do I keep my energy levels high enough to prevent skill rust?" instead.  Either way, it's not had to mod.  I can remember the bits of code, would have to look again to be precise, but it does a dice roll to see if it rusts or not.  It'd be easy to shift the dice a little for better odds.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10472 on: July 15, 2012, 01:23:45 am »

There's a bionic for it, but then your challenge becomes "how do I keep my energy levels high enough to prevent skill rust?" instead.  Either way, it's not had to mod.  I can remember the bits of code, would have to look again to be precise, but it does a dice roll to see if it rusts or not.  It'd be easy to shift the dice a little for better odds.
Assuming I'm reading it right, it's in game.cpp; the function "void game::update_skills()" starting on line 653 in my particular version; ctrl f should find that function for you. Poke some number there or remove the decrementing of skills as required, then do a make.

And it seems the bionic will only delay that rust a bit; it reduces it to 20% its previous rate according to that code; which is still pretty fast to forget something.

I'm actually pretty impressed with how nice the code seems to be to skim through; that was my first time looking at it, and I managed to find it in about 2 mins.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:27:46 am by alway »

Cane1994

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10473 on: July 15, 2012, 02:13:33 am »

My character just fell asleep while riding his motorcycle :P
He wasn't even tired. He's fine though, it was just fun to watch him in horror while ASCII characters went by the screen because it was nighttime.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10474 on: July 15, 2012, 05:04:01 am »

To back up a save, you can just copy the save folder, right? I'm having way to fun with my current character to want to let it go by stupid.

Also, my bad luck with spawns has finally turned, it seems. Now I only face common z's and bloaters. It's sad you can't get NPC's to get in a car with you, though, I've had to leave two friends behind to be eaten by zombies and it's only just Day 1 (Allright, so I accidently drove the first one over and let the other one be eaten because I wanted to see what the zombies he killed would drop, same thing, right?). Very sad moments. Then I drove into the forest and crashed into a trap field.
Love, scriver~

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10475 on: July 15, 2012, 09:18:32 am »

It was more like "how to I keep my energy levels high enough to prevent skill rust AND be able to use other bionics in a pinch".

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10476 on: July 15, 2012, 09:23:20 am »

Then I drove into the forest and crashed into a trap field.
Yeah, try to avoid trap nests in vehicles unless you have spare wheels and enough skill in mechanics to replace a busted one. Nothin' like running over spiked boards and blowing two tires while being chased by zombies. 'Twas !!FUN!! once specials got involved...

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10477 on: July 15, 2012, 09:26:10 am »

And this is the reason I love Darkling Wolf :P

The three things on the front are lawnmowers, they make things... explode.
*Hugs*

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10478 on: July 15, 2012, 09:29:13 am »

Awesome.

So you combined lawnmowers and a vehicle into some sort of crazy-ass zombie mower.

A game where you can do that is the kind of game i wwant to play.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10479 on: July 15, 2012, 09:35:22 am »

I think I'm in love with DarklingWolf too.
Love, scriver~

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #10480 on: July 15, 2012, 09:55:04 am »

Spoiler: Moar screenies (click to show/hide)
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10481 on: July 15, 2012, 09:59:37 am »

Bear cavalry has met it's match.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #10482 on: July 15, 2012, 10:09:27 am »

Always remember to wear a seatbelt when ramming bears, kids.

Nice work.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10483 on: July 15, 2012, 10:30:37 am »

haha, awesome.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10484 on: July 15, 2012, 10:33:47 am »

Always remember to wear a seatbelt when ramming bears, kids.
Or anything else larger than a normal zombie, for that matter.

In my playstyle, if it ain't a Z, don't smash into it. Exceptions are, of course, walls, if you really want to get someplace.
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 777