Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 700 701 [702] 703 704 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263527 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10515 on: July 15, 2012, 10:20:55 pm »

You should put that in a .zip file or similar, to allow for downloading easier. Unless that's not what you intend.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10516 on: July 15, 2012, 10:22:04 pm »

I don't usually share files.  So I just dumped it in and was done.  I'll .zip it.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #10517 on: July 15, 2012, 11:51:08 pm »

Uh... alright, the debug menu key is Z, right?  How do I go about enabling that for the linux emulator?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10518 on: July 15, 2012, 11:52:40 pm »

It's a capital Z and you should have no problems with it unless it's commented out in the keymap file.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10519 on: July 15, 2012, 11:59:18 pm »

By default it is commented out, you need to edit that.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #10520 on: July 16, 2012, 04:24:49 am »

Thank you for that link; I was playing the one linked on the WD forums- last updated in 2011.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #10521 on: July 16, 2012, 04:31:03 am »

Uh... alright, the debug menu key is Z, right?  How do I go about enabling that for the linux emulator?
You can use the nano editor. If you are in the Cataclysm directory, type in your terminal
Code: [Select]
nano data/keymap.txtNavigate to the end of the file with the arrow keys (like any other graphical editor) and decomment the debug key. Press CTRL+O to save, ENTER to confirm the file name and then CTRL+X to exit. Done  :)

Warning: if you type the wrong fiilename when calling nano (like nano data/keyma.txt) it will open a new blank file. In this case, just exit with CTRL+X and run again nano with the right path (you can use the TAB key to autocomplete paths and filenames, although I don't know if it's enabled in the linux emulator)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10522 on: July 16, 2012, 04:35:40 am »

My currently played version is here.  It's Dropbox, and I'm unfamiliar with how it works, so if there's any issues let me know!

Will also add a .txt to list the changes I've made.

I noticed your build doesn't have any starting skills. Are they a waste of points?

Also, hello Jenette.
Love, scriver~

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10523 on: July 16, 2012, 04:49:48 am »

I noticed your build doesn't have any starting skills. Are they a waste of points?

Skills can be learned but stats never change and mutations are a bit unpredictable, so it makes sense to favour stats, and to a lesser degree traits over skills for a new character.

That said starting with skills will make your early game easier, especially something like a point in dodge.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #10524 on: July 16, 2012, 05:31:12 am »

You can use the nano editor. If you are in the Cataclysm directory, type in your terminal
Code: [Select]
nano data/keymap.txtNavigate to the end of the file with the arrow keys (like any other graphical editor) and decomment the debug key. Press CTRL+O to save, ENTER to confirm the file name and then CTRL+X to exit. Done  :)

Warning: if you type the wrong fiilename when calling nano (like nano data/keyma.txt) it will open a new blank file. In this case, just exit with CTRL+X and run again nano with the right path (you can use the TAB key to autocomplete paths and filenames, although I don't know if it's enabled in the linux emulator)
Thanks, but, uh, I don't think it's working.  nano doesn't seem to be a command the emulator recognizes.  :x
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The syntax to start Cataclysm is ./run, so I tried ./nano data/keymap.txt, ./data/keymap.txt, but no dice.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #10525 on: July 16, 2012, 06:42:35 am »

It's very strange, usually nano is installed by default in all the linux distros... You probably could solve this problem using filezilla, but I don't know how, I think you can find the instructions in the tiniycore thread on the official forums

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10526 on: July 16, 2012, 07:33:19 am »

What killed my enjoyment was the ever-increasing battle against skill erosion. Eventually all I'd be doing all day is struggling to keep all my skills from going red. I wish there was a mod or something to drastically slow that down, because I don't think it's very realistic to forget everything I know if I don't practice it every single day.

Easy come easy go it seems. You can learn how to build a mini reactor and build a car from the ground up within a month or two, and I guess you can forget it just as quickly.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10527 on: July 16, 2012, 10:10:53 am »

AFAIK nano isn't installed, but vi editor is and works. But it is ... let's say... pretty hard to do something in it. http://www.cs.colostate.edu/helpdocs/vi.html

You start it with vi filename.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10528 on: July 16, 2012, 10:26:39 am »

Or just like.. download nano.
*Hugs*

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10529 on: July 16, 2012, 10:45:33 am »

My currently played version is here.  It's Dropbox, and I'm unfamiliar with how it works, so if there's any issues let me know!

Will also add a .txt to list the changes I've made.

Also, hello Jenette.
You can learn skills in game.  You can't learn stats.  I'd only buy skills if they let you get the good high-level skills, like 12 in mechanics easier, but really if you spend 3 or less points in mechanics then you're wasting points - just read a book!

As said, dodge is really the only skill I'd ever drop a point into, simply for how overpoweringly useful it is everywhere at all time.
Pages: 1 ... 700 701 [702] 703 704 ... 777