Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263615 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10770 on: July 24, 2012, 08:40:57 pm »

Classic.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10771 on: July 24, 2012, 09:17:20 pm »

I like the NPC staring on in horror at the destruction of the mansion.  That thing must have been the death of many a truck.

And good for you! The quad bike did survive!  Quite well apperantly!

EDIT: I just got distracted by posting and crashed my car.  I forgot I was heading into a turn and started turning too late at 70 mph.  Hit the handbrake when it became obvious I wasn't going to stop or turn fast enough and the car actually went into a skid and crashed into the forest sideways at 40 mph taking out half a dozen trees, didn't think they could do that.

Shows the durability of my little car though. Car only has armor plating on the front end, and since I went into the woods sideways, it didn't do any good.  But car was still more or less intact.  No noticeable frame damage, one door got totaled, one trunk, and the car's vanilla gas tank went red but other than that no damage.  Not even a windshield broke, and those seem to shatter every time I tap a bush with a back tire.  Cataclysm cars are definately not pintos.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:36:52 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10772 on: July 24, 2012, 09:44:11 pm »

Anyone else unable to find any nails? At all? 2 mega stores, 5 hardware stores, uncountable numbers of houses. Nothing. I would really like to build stuff, but can't  >:(

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10773 on: July 24, 2012, 10:01:26 pm »

They've been exceedingly rare in my current cluster of 3-4 cities. I think I've found 3 lots of nails total, out of about 8 hardware stores. So they're not impossible to find, but perhaps their rarity has been increased? Or we could both just be unlucky. It happens. :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #10774 on: July 24, 2012, 11:04:11 pm »

I found two parking lots next to each other within the starting map. One had a car and the other had a truck. Other games I have to go through half a dozen big cities and a couple dozen parking lots just to find one motorcycle.

I've found that motorcycles spawn really often in sewage treatment plant parking lots. 9/10 of the lots I've found have a motorcycle in them, which is pretty damn cool because I never live long enough to build my own car. :D
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10775 on: July 24, 2012, 11:08:36 pm »

It's entirely random. Parking lots are the same.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10776 on: July 25, 2012, 02:51:28 am »

Plenty of nails in my current game but im searching for a chainsaw and an wood axe, they seems nonexistent in my game I've searched dozens of hardware shops. I won't request to raise the spawing rate cause i had games where i had no problem to found them. Isn't there something wrong with how things spawn?

arguablycrassic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10777 on: July 25, 2012, 08:54:05 am »

Just got stuck talking to an NPC who appeared out of nowhere and told me to drop my weapon. If I dropped my weapon, the game would crash. So I chose the "Calm down" option, which turned him hostile. Upon retrospect I should have just debugged him away, but I chose to examine(x) him. So before i can apparently look at someone, he manages to shoot me twice. NPC's, never again.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10778 on: July 25, 2012, 09:31:15 am »

Plenty of nails in my current game but im searching for a chainsaw and an wood axe, they seems nonexistent in my game I've searched dozens of hardware shops. I won't request to raise the spawing rate cause i had games where i had no problem to found them. Isn't there something wrong with how things spawn?

It's just the luck of the RNG I'm afraid. The code is fairly simple about how it chooses items (random change for random item in a given item group) so is unlikely to be broken.

Both those items are pretty rare though.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10779 on: July 25, 2012, 10:02:03 am »

I have found 3 chainsaws, but no nails....

I think the game needs to spawn a minimum number of each item before spawning anything else. Normally you could find hundreds of nails in any hardware store. And at least one box of nails in every house.

Also, how do you guys travel to other cities? Do you always use a car? I try traveling on foot. But every time I come across a horde of extremely deadly creatures. Mainly giant mosquitoes.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #10780 on: July 25, 2012, 10:17:32 am »

Genius. I'm keeping NPCs because yay aspirin addicts.
Edit: Did I mention that he/she had a Saiga-12? Did not end well for me and my team.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 10:27:58 am by iceball3 »

arguablycrassic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10781 on: July 25, 2012, 10:43:04 am »

Genius. I'm keeping NPCs because yay aspirin addicts.
Edit: Did I mention that he/she had a Saiga-12? Did not end well for me and my team.
Just drop your weapon then explode their heads.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #10782 on: July 25, 2012, 10:48:03 am »

Just drop your weapon then explode their heads.
Actually, I did that the first time, worked perfectly
Picked up the aspirin again, got mad, said NO U.
Then my head exploded by saiga-12

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10783 on: July 25, 2012, 11:03:02 am »

Also, how do you guys travel to other cities? Do you always use a car? I try traveling on foot. But every time I come across a horde of extremely deadly creatures. Mainly giant mosquitoes.

Now that I have a car I drive everywhere, but walking is otherwise the only way.  Back before vehicles I would follow a road and hope for the best.  If I see something in the distance particularly difficult like a mosquito I would immediately turn around and go back to town and try another direction.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #10784 on: July 25, 2012, 11:51:37 am »

Personally, I keep a .22 compact firearm around just in case of wovles, preferably loaded with CB. Still not completely silent, but quiet enough to avoid a spontaneous swarm of everything, and is still good to kill in few hits.
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 777