Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 725 726 [727] 728 729 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263360 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10890 on: July 28, 2012, 01:40:52 am »

Well. Huh. I was chugging a bottle of vodka to replenish my MASSIVE internal battery. And I just keeled over dead suddenly. I understand death by alcohol poisoning, but you'd think there'd be more warning. Like vomiting, passing out, feeling sick. And it was so instantaneous. I don't think you'd just die halfway through chugging a bottle. It'd take minutes for it to kill you, plenty of time for me to activate my blood filter and remove the poison.

But nope, stopped breathing halfway through the bottle, and this old nigh immortal character is dead. Well there goes all those CBM's. Well over 200 battery, personal forcefields, healing nanos... I mean, there's tons of Hazmat, utilities and power systems lying around, but the ones I got from CBM finales hurts. At least I died in my base, so its all right there if a character stumbles into that area I guess...

No save backup? I don't mean savescumming, just that unexpected things can happen (bugs, crashes, odd behaviour like what happened to your character) and it can be a pretty unfair circumstance to lose all that time and effort to something so stupid.

Particularly in the current version, before every session I'll create a backup of my Save folder, so if something dumb happens I can restore from a non-corrupted/bugged point.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10891 on: July 28, 2012, 03:11:41 am »

EDIT: I just picked up another helmet; no inventory space, so it prompted me to wear it. I said yes, it said I couldn't wear another helmet. I think the second helmet disappeared. Anyone else have this happen, or know if the helmet went somewhere else?

Yup, I reported it. It happens because when you pick something up, you don't actually pick up the item; the item on the ground is deleted and another is created in your inventory. However, in your case, the helmet on the ground was deleted, and then the game checked if you could wear it, and then when you couldn't no new item was created on the ground. So, in short, the helmet is gone. Forever!
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10892 on: July 28, 2012, 03:48:28 am »

Yegads.  This is hard.  There's never just one zombie.

I'm trying to play this at work on my tablet, and it's highly unstable.  Doesn't seem to be so at home.  On my tablet, it freezes up for several seconds after every few steps.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10893 on: July 28, 2012, 03:54:27 am »

Congrats Slayer, you defeated the tutorial building

I never managed to do that ;_;
I managed to make the game crash if you enter the basement of the tutorial building tough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10894 on: July 28, 2012, 07:34:37 am »

Well, I appear to have broken the game.

If I attempt to take more than one step in any direction the game just closes with no error message or anything.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10895 on: July 28, 2012, 07:39:38 am »

try removing your save folder.
Your char will dissapear tough.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10896 on: July 28, 2012, 07:43:56 am »

What save folder? Nowhere in the Cataclysm folder can I find anything about saves.

I think the SSH thing doesn't quite work normally and I should probably fix this by...finding a version that I can actually play?

EDIT: The windows version linked in the OP is about seven months old. Anybody know where I can find a current version?

EDITFAKEEDIT: Found the latest windows version. That took a while.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 08:35:21 am by Baneling »
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10897 on: July 28, 2012, 09:00:44 am »

What save folder? Nowhere in the Cataclysm folder can I find anything about saves.

I think the SSH thing doesn't quite work normally and I should probably fix this by...finding a version that I can actually play?

EDIT: The windows version linked in the OP is about seven months old. Anybody know where I can find a current version?

If you have some spare room on your hard drive, I highly recommend doing an Ubuntu dual boot setup; I've got a 25GB ubuntu partition set up, and it's actually really easy to do. The Windows Ubuntu Installer means you don't need to do any screwing around in BIOS, and partitions the space w/o screwing up the space allocated to Windows. It will take probably an hour or so to download & install everything, but IMO it's worth it. It means you can just grab the latest Cataclysm source, open a terminal and use the 'make' command, and it builds everything into an executable. Which makes modding extremely easy, to the point where if some little game mechanic doesn't feel just right to me, I fix it. Cataclysm has crashed on me maybe once so far, if that, so it's much more stable than I remember the Windows versions being.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10898 on: July 28, 2012, 09:09:40 am »

its a 25GB partition. The .exe is only 2,4 MB

A partition is basically a part of your HDD (or SDD, whatever) that contains one OS, or something like that :P
Every time you boot up, you'll get a choice between windows 7 and ubuntu.
(the computers at my school have that. somebody once accidently booted into ubuntu instead of windows)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:11:13 am by miauw62 »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10899 on: July 28, 2012, 09:09:44 am »

If you have some spare room on your hard drive, I highly recommend doing an Ubuntu dual boot setup; I've got a 25GB ubuntu partition set up, and it's actually really easy to do. The Windows Ubuntu Installer means you don't need to do any screwing around in BIOS, and partitions the space w/o screwing up the space allocated to Windows. It will take probably an hour or so to download & install everything, but IMO it's worth it. It means you can just grab the latest Cataclysm source, open a terminal and use the 'make' command, and it builds everything into an executable. Which makes modding extremely easy, to the point where if some little game mechanic doesn't feel just right to me, I fix it. Cataclysm has crashed on me maybe once so far, if that, so it's much more stable than I remember the Windows versions being.
I'd do that, but being 25 GB...

I have a 200 KB/s internet, normally (dammit, wireless!), so 25 gigs would probably take a few days to DL.
No, it's 25GB of hard drive allocated; Ubuntu itself is something like 8 GB. You could probably even have a 15GB space allocation; I have some extra in case I want to do some linux software development.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10900 on: July 28, 2012, 09:50:20 am »

I got it working, anyway. Just had to find the latest Windows version.

So, time for a little rundown of looting places!

Clothing stores are a good looting place! They can contain fun things like backpacks and trenchcoats as well as cargo pants.

Military surplus stores are obvious. I found a couple kevlar vests in one, so that's a thing. Backpacks, MREs and other similarly useful things can also be found.

Pawn shops are...okay, I didn't find much of anything in them that was useful.

Gun stores are awesome, but fairly likely to not have much of anything in them.

Hardware stores are good for crafting and mechanics and the like. They also occasionally contain nail guns and nails, which are very good weapons against normal zombies - they fire very fast and do about 6 damage a hit normally.

Liquor stores, A.K.A firebomb supplies since I'm guessing alcohol is flammable.

Sports supplies are a bit iffy because they /occasionally/ contain bows, crossbows and ammo for said, as well as things like rope, but most of the time they have nothing much of use.
Check in anyway if you see them, just to be safe.

I'll add more as I come across them.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10901 on: July 28, 2012, 09:54:17 am »

People say to just wear alot of holsters and cargo pants, not backpacks because they encumber too much.
I once found a fucking broadsword in a pawn shop.
I think gun stores can have alarms, and if you dont kill the eyebots youre pretty much screwed.

Liqour stores are good for morale, its easy to find alcohol and it gives a good morale boost.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10902 on: July 28, 2012, 09:57:46 am »

Yeah, the problem is finding enough holsters :P
Broadswords are pretty great; I found one along with a couple full suits of metal armor in a mansion (along with an awl pike). The broadsword is now my primary melee weapon. I've yet to see a gunstore with an alarm; though I think pawn shops can have them.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10903 on: July 28, 2012, 09:58:36 am »

Oh, i think i ment pawn store then :P
Mansions seem to always have that, the mansion i visited also had a few suits of full metal armor.
Didnt take it tough, huge-ass encumberance.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10904 on: July 28, 2012, 11:09:46 am »

They don't seem to be 100%.  I searched through 2 mansions and never finding any of that stuff.  Only found one on my third.   Sadly while broadswords and awl pikes do tons of damage a low strength character can come up with issues.  7 strength and as often as not I get my sword pulled from my hands.   That REALLY sucks on a spitter.  I lost a katana that way. 

Seems the more cutting damage a weapon does, the stronger you have to be to not lose the thing.  7 Strength appears to be plenty to always keep my bayoneted M4A1++++ from sticking in something, but a couple swings with my boradsword and I'm always back to a backup.

Backpacks are excellent on your first day when you are hunting down basic gear. the volume lets you pick up food and other side things without having to drop it all when you find the main thing yer after. And if yer a more gun oriented person the encumbrance doesn't hurt you much later.  Since torso encumbrance is mostly just important in melee range.   I'll agree that a melee should ditch it for fanny packs an holsters at the first opportunity though.  That encumbrance puts a big negative to your dodge and melee skill, and slows melee attacks down to boot.  Torso encumbrance over two makes a single melee attack take nearly twice as long as moving one tile.

Pawn shops seem to get a little of everything in them,  I've seen super rare stuff like spiral stones and grenade launchers in some.  While others contained nothing but suits and dresses.  Always worth checking out if you have a crowbar on you in my opinion.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 725 726 [727] 728 729 ... 777