Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 727 728 [729] 730 731 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260258 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10920 on: July 28, 2012, 04:00:19 pm »

A fast and shocker just attacked me in my sleep. All I had was a screwdriver, rock, and 2 steak knives. Throwing and dodge are now level one. Looted some caffiene pills. Hope flashlight didn't attract zombies.

They smell through walls.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10921 on: July 28, 2012, 04:02:38 pm »

A fast and shocker just attacked me in my sleep. All I had was a screwdriver, rock, and 2 steak knives. Throwing and dodge are now level one. Looted some caffiene pills. Hope flashlight didn't attract zombies.

They smell through walls.

Walked down the street in the dark. Get ambushed by horde, boomer(s) and fast(s). Die.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Batman Wayne

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruining the fun for everybody.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10922 on: July 28, 2012, 04:06:38 pm »

This game isn't that fun, you people make it look fun but actually it is just like every normal roguelike, maybe I shouldn't expect anything from any roguelikes except Dwarf Fortress and maybe URR

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10923 on: July 28, 2012, 04:09:16 pm »

This game isn't that fun, you people make it look fun but actually it is just like every normal roguelike, maybe I shouldn't expect anything from any roguelikes except Dwarf Fortress and maybe URR

while everyone has their own opinion it would be nicer for everyone involved if you provided some reasoning as to why it 'isn't fun', because simply saying it isn't fun really does not express anything of your views and makes your post look kinda dumb if im entirely honest.

Batman Wayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10924 on: July 28, 2012, 04:11:52 pm »

i did say why it wasn't fun, its because every other roguelike is similar to it, same old stuff, i was expecting something new and all there was was just "vehicles" and thats the only thing i didnt see in any other zombie roguelike, my first 1 hour of playing was simply walking down the street and getting bugged with the warning for monsters which i turned off but yet turns on with auto off

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10925 on: July 28, 2012, 04:23:47 pm »

I was going to make a constructive response, but then I paid more attention.  "Ruining the fun for everybody." in the avatar subtext.

Please do not feed the trolls.

I'd have to agree with a proper backpack having less encumbrance than a messenger bag...
I would have to not.  Being that I use a messenger bag / purse on bike runs ALL the time, I can tell you that a small messenger bag or a large purse can be done around the neck - not just over one shoulder, but over both so that the strap is across the chest.  With the strap pulled tight and secure, it's actually very easy to move with, and extremely easy to find stuff in.  I usually carry 2-3 bottles of water, since I live in terribly hot climate, and I can just reach back and grab one, and put it back, one handed without looking.  A -proper- messenger bag is lightweight and secure, and shouldn't encumber nearly as much as a backpack.

Although encumbrance already covers a few things.  A backpack doesn't slow you down one bit, but it does make it more awkward to fight.  Torso encumbrance doesn't do anything to your walking speed, only your combat speed.  So you're right.  Going long distances with a backpack would be fairly easy.  Fighting a zombie with one, not so much.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10926 on: July 28, 2012, 04:28:06 pm »

i did say why it wasn't fun, its because every other roguelike is similar to it, same old stuff, i was expecting something new and all there was was just "vehicles" and thats the only thing i didnt see in any other zombie roguelike, my first 1 hour of playing was simply walking down the street and getting bugged with the warning for monsters which i turned off but yet turns on with auto off

Every single roguelike is the "same old stuff." It's what makes them like Rogue. I've heard your declaration before and not just with computer games. What most people are going to mention in defense is the setting. Setting can make or break a game. After that will be mechanics and gimmicks, which you've mentioned. It sounds like you need to give up on gaming because it's not fun for you.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10927 on: July 28, 2012, 04:28:34 pm »

It's difficult, tedious, and dear god the warning gets on my nerves, but, as someone who has only played two rougelikes (adventure mode and dungeon crawl: stone soup), I find it to be a new style of RL. I enjoy this game very much, and while I can't force you to play it, I can say that I'm dissapointed that you think so poorly of this game.
My tumblr.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10928 on: July 28, 2012, 04:37:51 pm »

The warning I find to be extremely useful. It lets you hold down a direction button or run around a forest without the fear of being instantly murdered.

Think of what you would have to do without it. It would make traveling take ten times longer, having to keep track of monsters for every step you take.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10929 on: July 28, 2012, 04:38:53 pm »

pray tell, what other zombie survival roguelikes have you played?
Just like to promote this question.  I just realized what an odd declaration it was.  Sorta like saying "It's just like every other book about a boy wizard facing against ultimate evil."  How often do you see zombie roguelikes?

Batman Wayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10930 on: July 28, 2012, 04:43:56 pm »

Girilinhat, I like how every person you see that is against your opinion is automatically considered a "troll" by your majesty.

Also, I know you gave almost everything you can give to the game, still doesn't mean you have to call me a troll for being against your opinion, also, my sub-text is also the same as alot of bay12ers.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10931 on: July 28, 2012, 04:45:41 pm »

Girilinhat, I like how every person you see that is against your opinion is automatically considered a "troll" by your majesty.
Well, looking through your previous posts, I agree. Nearly all of them are "Close this thread"
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Batman Wayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10932 on: July 28, 2012, 04:47:03 pm »

I say close this thread because it is out of the forum's topic, talking about space in "DF" General Discussion, cool.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10933 on: July 28, 2012, 04:50:18 pm »

Also, I know you gave almost everything you can give to the game, still doesn't mean you have to call me a troll for being against your opinion, also, my sub-text is also the same as alot of bay12ers.

OK, now it just sounds like you either:
A, are making stuff up as you go along,
B, have a distorted view of reality,
C, genuinely hate the game but don't have sufficient reasoning why,
or D, have lying issues.

I say close this thread because it is out of the forum's topic, talking about space in "DF" General Discussion, cool.

Let people have fun. Sure, we derailed, but the topic was still about B12, and the theme of the space expedition was DF related.
My tumblr.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10934 on: July 28, 2012, 04:51:48 pm »

Anyway, I have no further interest in sparking an argument, so let's get back to cataclysm.

Does anyone know if there's an up to date executable of the game, or do I need to compile it myself?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 727 728 [729] 730 731 ... 777