Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 753 754 [755] 756 757 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263592 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #11310 on: September 21, 2012, 08:48:26 pm »

Why would a bicycle make you more tired? I mean, it's *less* work riding a bike a given distance then it is walking.

Unless of course you load it down with 5000 pounds of canned beans or ride at a very high speed, but then again there's no ingame tiredness penalty for carrying 5000 pounds of beans (if you can find pockets for all of them) and as far as I can tell it's assumed you're running at max speed all the time already, so neither one of those really applies either.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11311 on: September 21, 2012, 10:32:53 pm »

Why would a bicycle make you more tired? I mean, it's *less* work riding a bike a given distance then it is walking.

Having spent a lot of time walking and biking the same route in the past couple weeks, as someone who is fairly out of shape, I beg to differ. :P
Walking, it takes about an hour and leaves me feeling pleasently tired, if anything. Doing the same route on a bike takes 20-30 minutes at a leisurely pace, and leaves me wobbly-legged and panting by the end. (I said I was out of shape, okay)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11312 on: September 21, 2012, 10:42:26 pm »

You take 2 hours to walk distance x on foot. You take 20 minutes to ride distance x by bike. You exert effort # to travel distance x. When you walk, effort # is spread out over 2 hours. When you bike, effort # is compressed into 1/6 of that. You're exerting more effort/time unit when you bike, therefore you are more tired than if you had walked because the exhaustion from the effort you've exerted is applied over a smaller period of time.

Granted, there's a degree of higher efficiency inherent in using a bike (or any power-magnifying machine), but it's fairly simple logic. It also makes you more tired to sprint 100 meters than to walk 100 meters, no?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11313 on: September 22, 2012, 02:23:19 pm »

Except then the biker has 1 hour 40 minutes to take it easy, compared to the guy who walks who has to keep walking during that time, so it should even out. How tired are you an hour and a half after your bike ride, compared to when you finally arrive at your destination after a long walk?

However, currently walking does not make you more tired at all, so it just adds an extra penalty to the bike for no reason. So if you added walking (actually running since you move at max speed at all time which is a little weird) making you more tired as well as riding a bike, then I would agree, The bike should drain your energy quicker (but more efficiently) then walking.

Really, the problem is that right now there is no physical fatigue stat/meter at all - tiredness is more of a mental fatigue "sleep meter" that (mostly) only increases as time passes and (mostly) only decreases by sleeping. It would be strange if fighting zombies constantly for 12 hours straight with a screwdriver didn't make you at all tired, but riding a bike for an hour made you collapse in a heap.

Also, as a side note, it's not really fair to say there's a "degree" of higher efficiency. Bicycles are the most energy efficient form of transport in existence, and takes roughly one-third as much energy as walking does (depending on speed, incline, etc, of course).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 02:32:05 pm by BurnedToast »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11314 on: September 22, 2012, 05:31:07 pm »

I think there shouldn't be bikes in this game unless stamina gets implemented. Tiredness and slepiness are not the same things but it will be if you implement bikes which will make you tired (and thus sleepy, since the "tired" status equals "sleepy" in this game)

By the way, I'm trying to compile the game with the extended view mod but whenever I try to patch the .diff I get this "sh: patch:command not found" message. What I'm doing wrong?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 06:49:02 pm by Leatra »

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11315 on: September 23, 2012, 07:32:39 pm »

(mine spoiler)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, I thought I saw somewhere that you could use a two-way radio to call other factions, and they will send someone to trade with you. However, all the factions I tried said I was on my own (or that they hoped I died), and the general sos didn't bring anyone either. Was that disabled, or am I doing it wrong?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11316 on: September 23, 2012, 09:31:35 pm »

(mine spoiler)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11317 on: September 23, 2012, 09:36:31 pm »

I think there shouldn't be bikes in this game unless stamina gets implemented. Tiredness and slepiness are not the same things but it will be if you implement bikes which will make you tired (and thus sleepy, since the "tired" status equals "sleepy" in this game)

By the way, I'm trying to compile the game with the extended view mod but whenever I try to patch the .diff I get this "sh: patch:command not found" message. What I'm doing wrong?
honestly I never get why people seem to think biking for a long time is harder then walking.  I've done a lot of long-distance biking and hiking in my time and hiking for hours is far more exhausting then a steady bike ride.  Of course it depends on the terrain but generally biking is not as exhausting if you pace yourself
Nom nom nom

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11318 on: September 24, 2012, 11:04:28 pm »

Well, it really depends on the shape of the bike. I had a nice Schwinn that I biked the C&O Canal with in four days, and was not tired much at all throughout the whole thing. I think that averages to around 50 miles a day, within 8 hours/day. Keep in mind I probably exercise as much as the average internet fiend.

But that bike got stolen by hoodlums and probably sold to Jawas as scrap, so now I use this bike as old as I am (I can legally drink), and I can't go ten minutes without my legs feeling like they're on fire again.

For the game I think I'd like to see modifiable bikes (different frames, wheels, number of gears/top speed?, brakes) as a nice medium between knowing jack about mechanical skill and creating juggernaut beast-o-cars. And it'd be silent, but you'd be sacrificing storage space. I don't think fatigue is necessary for it at this point in time, as it, in my opinion, seems like it gives some balance to transportation decisions.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11319 on: September 25, 2012, 10:45:49 am »

solar powered car?

can you get large batteries for your car? if not, you'll not be able to drive it at night.

"Large batteries"? I think you don't understand how vehicles in Cataclysm work.

Solar panels on a car will recharge any storage batteries (essentially fuel tanks but for electric motors) you have, while in clear/sunny weather during the day. You can still recharge a storage battery with batteries, and if for some reason you really need a lot of energy capacity, you can install two storage batteries. However, the basic electric motor consumes a small amount of fuel, so it's hardly worth it to add a second storage battery.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11320 on: September 25, 2012, 12:09:16 pm »

Oh my good heavenly god, I tried playing cataclysm again after a long while, and holy jesus h christ!
Did Whales do something about the zombie spawns? I smashed a window, a wild zombie appears, and I killed it. Suddenly, about 20 to 30 zombies started chasing me out of nowhere, and it's been only 2 something in game hours since.

Edit: Found a bug on newest windows version, bionics duplicate themselves on loading a saved game :/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:36:22 pm by fred1248 »
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11321 on: September 25, 2012, 12:37:31 pm »

Oh my good heavenly god, I tried playing cataclysm again after a long while, and holy jesus h christ!
Did Whales do something about the zombie spawns? I smashed a window, a wild zombie appears, and I killed it. Suddenly, about 20 to 30 zombies started chasing me out of nowhere, and it's been only 2 something in game hours since.

Edit: Found a bug on newest windows version, bionics duplicate themselves on loading a saved game :/
Noisy is a synonym of dead.

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11322 on: September 25, 2012, 12:42:24 pm »

Noisy is a synonym of dead.

Well yes, but I was using a baseball bat, and previous versions I played wasn't this dramatic, even a full burst from m60 only attracted 10 something zombies.
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11323 on: September 25, 2012, 01:16:04 pm »

It's not too dramatic normally. It's just that the beggining is always kind of complicated. Just run away as usual...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #11324 on: September 25, 2012, 04:32:48 pm »

The active maps are a lot larger, so a lot more zombies can be within hearing range now than before.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: 1 ... 753 754 [755] 756 757 ... 777