Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448752 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2011, 05:37:37 am »

My first big suggestion to the creators: make side-attaching parts snap-to like core parts.  Because I've got this piece of shit-

Spoiler: Tripodunker Mark 1 (click to show/hide)

If any one of those outside pieces is even one pixel out of alignment - which is really really easy since it's six parts with two dimensions of movement each that I have to line up by eyeball - then launch turns crazygonuts as soon as I press the button.  And since side-part alignment is itself the problem, I really doubt fins are going to help it fly much.

I at least managed to fix the thing up enough that it doesn't ricochet off the tower, but I really wish I'd been recording the rocket powered rodeo of the first successful flight.  I managed to ditch the auxiliary stages before hitting dirt, and the core corkscrewed like I was trying to make it do that until it finally stabilized and made it to about 11500 meters, before it suddenly went flipping out of control a few seconds before the tanks ran dry.  Total coverage: 12000 meters vertical, 10000 lateral, 30000 as Pythagoras flies, and 60 Gees achieved.

Also, best songs to listen to while playing this game? Personally I've got http://www.YoutubeRepeater.com/watch?v=UgqjnzkYPnA&s=204

I'll probably go with Farewell of Slavianka myself, but it does lend itself to slavic music of any type.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2011, 05:43:22 am »

It's coming in the next version. 8.1
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2011, 05:54:34 am »

Alright, tried the additional parts linked to in the OP. Some are quite nifty, but the big fuel tank and engine are waaaaaaay overpowered. Building a SSTO vehicle with those is just a matter of stacking a bunch of these big fuel tanks and attaching the engine. No challenge. I like challenge, especially when attempting something as difficult as spaceflight.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2011, 06:02:07 am »

Can you play this at all without a joystick?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2011, 06:09:44 am »

Spoiler: aw yeah (click to show/hide)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2011, 06:10:23 am »

My first big suggestion to the creators: make side-attaching parts snap-to like core parts.  Because I've got this piece of shit-

Spoiler: Tripodunker Mark 1 (click to show/hide)

If any one of those outside pieces is even one pixel out of alignment - which is really really easy since it's six parts with two dimensions of movement each that I have to line up by eyeball - then launch turns crazygonuts as soon as I press the button.  And since side-part alignment is itself the problem, I really doubt fins are going to help it fly much.

I at least managed to fix the thing up enough that it doesn't ricochet off the tower, but I really wish I'd been recording the rocket powered rodeo of the first successful flight.  I managed to ditch the auxiliary stages before hitting dirt, and the core corkscrewed like I was trying to make it do that until it finally stabilized and made it to about 11500 meters, before it suddenly went flipping out of control a few seconds before the tanks ran dry.  Total coverage: 12000 meters vertical, 10000 lateral, 30000 as Pythagoras flies, and 60 Gees achieved.

The secret seems to be to completely disregard everything going to shit with the extended parts.
My best rocket has three parts that explode for no reason at the beginning and then a few space's later and I'm off, and for some reason more successful than just not using the parts that exploded.
Currently floating at a hundred thousand miles
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How the earth fades away could use some work, I think.
Personally I would love for the moon to be added first.
Can you play this at all without a joystick?
Yes. I don't personally see why you would play it with a joystick.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2011, 06:12:32 am »

Because I dont have one ^^ and don't like them. I can't find a control list anywhere? or what button fires the engines etc.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2011, 06:12:38 am »

Aqizzar, just put a SAS on top of each solid booster. That will be enough to keep the rocket straight until you can throw away the boosters.

Toony... that rocket is a monster! are you trying to send them to mars? ( actually, they should die due to 300 g acceleration at launch... but their corpses will fly far)

record it and show us how far it goes!

I had a moderately successful rocket... 130K and fairly decent lateral velocity. Unluckily, not enough. the crew is now falling... I wonder if I should deploy parachute, or just see how hard it crashes
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 06:14:14 am by andrea »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2011, 06:15:41 am »

Because I dont have one ^^ and don't like them. I can't find a control list anywhere? or what button fires the engines etc.
That's.. Exactly what I said. You don't need a joystick, I wouldn't want to use one.
The tutorial explains all the controls.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2011, 06:16:37 am »

That's.. Exactly what I said. You don't need a joystick, I wouldn't want to use one.

Wheres the Tutorial? I clicked start an then see launch pad and the rocketmaker, didnt see any tutorial option :(

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2011, 06:17:48 am »

I don't personally see why you would play it with a joystick.

To get analog control over your rocket?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 06:19:34 am by Sordid »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2011, 06:19:25 am »

Wheres the Tutorial? I clicked start an then see launch pad and the rocketmaker, didnt see any tutorial option :(
Weird, recall the tutorial being the first thing I saw. Anyway, click on the vehicle construction center or whatever it's called, the tutorial window should presumably be there.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2011, 06:22:11 am »

I dont see any tutorial, did I manage to somehow download the wrong version or something?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2011, 06:23:43 am »

I dont see any tutorial, did I manage to somehow download the wrong version or something?
I don't know, maybe. I would bet that redownloading is worth a try though.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2011, 06:24:55 am »

I can't balance my rocket.  It goes VVVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRCRASH instantly.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 848