Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448038 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #510 on: July 14, 2011, 08:42:07 pm »

*attempts to register on the KSP forum*
*clicks the OpenID option to try it out*
[20 minutes later]
Well, OpenID's webpage claims that I have an OpenID already through Google. However, OpenID isn't telling me what URL to use to log in with for it. It links to my Google+ profile page and to google.com (why would that work). The KSP forum registration rejects my google+ profile page, of course, and I have a feeling that this isn't as secure as OpenID is claiming.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 14, 2011, 08:50:54 pm »

Okay, haven't played the game. Considered it until I saw it's a bit unoptimized. Not sure if I wanna put that much stress on my computer. I might stick it on an older one if they can meet the requirements though.

But, err. If this really has proper Orbital mechanics then...

Well, gravity doesn't seem to be implemented properly. You can tell if you detach some heavier rockets from you, and don't turn yours back on, or if you detach light things from you and keep your main rocket really heavy. Heavy things are being affected by gravity more than light things, which isn't how gravity actually works in real life (In real life it depends only on your distance and the mass of the objects exerting their gravity on you).

I think that's because they have more drag (items DO have a drag coefficient, I've checked).

Drag is definitely the problem here.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 14, 2011, 08:56:53 pm »

Damnit, I need help getting to orbit!
Guide to orbit:
2 Stage rocket, the first stage needs to be powerful enough to get you to around 40,000m. Conserve fuel, and once you've reached 40,000 meters detach and don't start moving just yet.
The second stage should be the classic 3 fuel tank and 1 engine. Position the rocket horizontally, and then throttle to the max until you've reached ~2300 m/s. Cut the engine, and you should still have a tank of fuel left. Keep an eye on the vertical speed meter, trying to keep the pointer at the 0 for as long as you have your engine still on to make the orbit more circular.
And voila, you're now in orbit. If you want to deorbit wait until you get the closest to the planet as your orbit goes and then rev up those engines towards the ground.

Okay, haven't played the game. Considered it until I saw it's a bit unoptimized. Not sure if I wanna put that much stress on my computer. I might stick it on an older one if they can meet the requirements though.

But, err. If this really has proper Orbital mechanics then...

Well, gravity doesn't seem to be implemented properly. You can tell if you detach some heavier rockets from you, and don't turn yours back on, or if you detach light things from you and keep your main rocket really heavy. Heavy things are being affected by gravity more than light things, which isn't how gravity actually works in real life (In real life it depends only on your distance and the mass of the objects exerting their gravity on you).

I think that's because they have more drag (items DO have a drag coefficient, I've checked).

Drag is definitely the problem here.
Heavy things are not at all affected more by gravity than light things, it's just that it takes more force to propel them than their light counterparts. For instance, when you detach your command capsule from the rest of your rocket, you'll be floating at pretty much the same level as the rocket for a while.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 08:59:55 pm by Rakonas »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 14, 2011, 09:08:08 pm »

*attempts to register on the KSP forum*
*clicks the OpenID option to try it out*
[20 minutes later]
Well, OpenID's webpage claims that I have an OpenID already through Google. However, OpenID isn't telling me what URL to use to log in with for it. It links to my Google+ profile page and to google.com (why would that work). The KSP forum registration rejects my google+ profile page, of course, and I have a feeling that this isn't as secure as OpenID is claiming.

to use openid with your google account, you just have to be logged into your google account. it will use your google cookies.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 14, 2011, 09:31:37 pm »

Just a heads up, don't put your computer to sleep while this is running. That or don't leave it running for 7 hours unattended. I'll have to let it run overnight to achieve my goal. Here is my last screenshot before I left.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 14, 2011, 09:35:31 pm »

Just a heads up, don't put your computer to sleep while this is running. That or don't leave it running for 7 hours unattended. I'll have to let it run overnight to achieve my goal. Here is my last screenshot before I left.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jeb: "Let's colonize the sun!"
Bill&Bob: "DAAAAAAAAAH!"

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 14, 2011, 09:49:24 pm »

Jeb: "<pretty much anything>"
Bill&Bob: "DAAAAAAAAAH!"
Spoiler: Jeb: (click to show/hide)
Fix'd.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 14, 2011, 10:03:36 pm »

You'll probably hit the atmosphere too fast to actually re-enter on the first try, but at least you should be using less fuel to get back this way.
Oh, another big fuel saving tip. Watch your altimeter, after a couple of times around you should know roughly the highest point of your orbit (Aka: Apoapsis.). If you perform your de-orbit burn then, you will hit the atmosphere faster, but it will take much less fuel to get back into the atmosphere.

The mechanics arent as realistic as orbiter so there'll be no atmosphere butt-skipping. There's air resistance but no actual lift so you just slow right down. Well, there's no objects capable of achieving lift atm so I don't know if that's entirely true.

Hehe.. I remember the first time I tried to deorbit in orbiter. I must have butt-skipped my way through a couple whole orbits.  :P

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 14, 2011, 10:06:37 pm »

I once had everyone smiling like bloody hell while they were plummeting to there doom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 14, 2011, 10:08:23 pm »

I once had everyone smiling like bloody hell while they were plummeting to there doom.

I guess they accepted their inevitable doom.
Laughing at death right in his/her face.

Or they went insane.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 14, 2011, 10:19:41 pm »

They're already insane. Jeb's just the most out of the three of them. The only time I've ever seen all three smile is when they're plummeting toward earth from a mission gone wrong, and the only thing that fazes Jeb is multiple explosions near the cockpit. I think they might all be undergoing medical experimentation along with our rocket experiments.

Whatever that shit is, though, I want some.
Nothing important here, move along.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 14, 2011, 10:50:59 pm »

I guarantee you their atmosphere control is actually hooked up to a bong.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 14, 2011, 10:52:29 pm »

Hell, the person thats supposed to be overseeing this mission is either high or dead. Probably both.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 14, 2011, 11:32:25 pm »

For anyone having trouble getting into orbit, there's a great tutorial on Youtube. He takes it from ship design to orbit while explaining what he's doing with each step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RvVjysJKB4

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 14, 2011, 11:44:18 pm »

For anyone having trouble getting into orbit, there's a great tutorial on Youtube. He takes it from ship design to orbit while explaining what he's doing with each step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RvVjysJKB4
How'd he do that 6 at once srb thing?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 848