Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448839 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #675 on: July 17, 2011, 02:17:44 am »

Yes, I was unaware that the connection problem was the engine itself.  HarvesteR better fix that if he ever expects people to use large pieces then, because that imposes a pretty serious limitation on element sizes.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 17, 2011, 02:21:56 am »

I imagine a system where it has multiple connector points would work, and make sense. But the engine doesn't work in a way that makes that possible.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 17, 2011, 02:27:17 am »

Whoever made those parts really needs to fix up the connectors.
It's too bad that the connection fragility you're complaining about is currently hard-coded, then.

I guess hes referring to the devs then. Obv.
"Whoever made those parts" does not refer to the devs when he's specifically talking about third-party parts, obviously.

Whoever made those parts.
???
Devs made those parts.
???
Ergo, hes referring to the devs. Obviously.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 17, 2011, 02:41:35 am »

Those parts are third-party mods, so not made by the devs. All the parts devs made are normal-sized.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 17, 2011, 02:45:38 am »

Don't feed the trolls.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 17, 2011, 08:32:15 am »

Yeah, I've had connection problems like those as well. One of my designs simply left a liquid fuel engine sitting on the pad. Wasn't anything I found I could do to prevent it, so I just had to scrap the design.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 17, 2011, 08:33:16 am »

I managed to get an orbit even more eccentric than my last one, between 38km and 870km. More fuel left, and I managed to land safely with the entirety of the main rocket body intact, only a few kilometers downrange of the launchpad. Two full orbits, too.

And from what I can gather most of the part problems are down to not being properly registered in a stage. It's fixable, but it can get messy quickly.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 17, 2011, 10:13:33 am »

Is there any reason why liquid fuel engines blow up other stuff and solid fuel engines don't?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 17, 2011, 10:16:35 am »

Is there any reason why liquid fuel engines blow up other stuff and solid fuel engines don't?
I've found that solid ones do but you have to strap like three together and have them all hit the same part at the same time, so presumably it's a heat/thrust type issue.  I know for sure that liquid thrusters produce a heck of alot more heat.
Nom nom nom

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 17, 2011, 11:19:17 am »

A solid fuel engine's explosive potential decreases as it runs out of fuel, but liquid fuel engines remain constant.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 17, 2011, 04:51:59 pm »

Discovery: One SAS and a metre nosecone from the sunday punch pack negates the overheat effect of a large SRB from the Sunday Punch pack.

In other words, give each large solid fuel an SAS and a nosecone, and you can have 100 of them together, they still won't overheat enough to explode

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 17, 2011, 06:36:13 pm »

HTML Kerbal orbital calculator.  Pretty handy - if you want a circular orbit, just type in equal distances.

Experimental build of 0.8.5 X2 is out, seems pretty stable so far, and HarvesteR thinks he fixed a performance bug for rockets with large numbers of fuel tanks.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: July 17, 2011, 06:39:39 pm »

I love experimental builds because they generaly work incredably well.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: July 17, 2011, 06:46:47 pm »

I had the best orbit going, it was only about 20km between low and high and I had a tank and a half of fuel left. I thought I was  getting real close to KSC so I did my de-orbit burn... and ended up on the wrong side of the ocean. I had so much fuel left over that I tried to land up right, but pulled a mars mission and the rockets cut too early. I was able to de-couple and land safely nontheless.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 17, 2011, 08:03:13 pm »

Heh, I built a 2 stage srb only rocket which can be successfully set into orbit, but only the 10% of the time it doesn't have a resonating failure or hit itself or simply explode randomly on the way up. Though it isn't a very good orbit, nor is there any maneuvering fuel left, as it is all srb.

The fun rockets are the ones which start with an epic failure of a design and are tweaked until just under the 100% failure rate. :D

Sounds Russian.
No, it is the American way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanguard_TV3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanguard_rocket
At its launch attempt on December 6, 1957 at Cape Canaveral, the booster ignited and began to rise; but about two seconds after liftoff, after rising about four feet (1.2 m), the rocket lost thrust and began to fall back to the launch pad. As it settled the fuel tanks ruptured and exploded, destroying the rocket and severely damaging the launch pad.

Only 3 of 11 launches were successful. :)
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 848