Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448516 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This thing got me to orbit and back, with tri-couplers. I'm planning to try replacing the solid boosters with liquid, but for now these work rather well.

Re: Solid vs liquid, it was my understanding that solid boosters were more powerful and more efficient in terms of weight and space. I tend to use solid boosters to get off the pad, and liquid boosters for everything else.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Solid boosters doubles as unguided missiles if you fudge the staging a bit.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Solid's are actually less powerful than liquid engines, though they weigh less initially, a stack of 2-3 liquid tanks with engines engines is much more efficient than solids. in the rocket above, just adding 1-2 more tanks to the outer engines and getting rid of the solids completely would probably work better, for example.

edit: clarification
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:22:29 pm by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I assume solids will be the cheaper disposable alternative once money actually matters in the game.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile

I sometimes use them on the bottom, sides and top of my rocket to boost off the landing pad, so I can use the precious fuel less, just to keep speed until I get out of the atmosphere.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I assume solids will be the cheaper disposable alternative once money actually matters in the game.

also all the part will be rebalanced and expanded upon at an unspecified version.

I guess that booster will then become more like their actual real world counterpart: more power than liquid and cheaper to operate if you dispose and recollect them. (except when maintenance fail and the booster explode killing all the crew  :P)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Even you could just stack the booster segments ontop of eachother and make a longer one that burned for longer/with more power they'd be fine. They do have a good power to weight ratio on their own, however due to the fact that the nozzle is inbuilt, you then need a decoupler for every single solid booster. If that wasn't a requirement it'd be much better.
Magma is overrated.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile

Unless you make an entire stage out of boosters, then you can just attach them to each other.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile

You need to put parachutes on them. Trust me.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile

WHY THIS HAPPEN?

because powered landings and parachutes don't mix?

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the limit is about 12-15m/s for the capsule to survive. If you land iwth fuel tanks or anything above about 2-3m/s they won't survive, and with enouhg at 12m/s they could explode the crewmembers instead.
Magma is overrated.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile

Ha! Finally. Of course, used advanced SAS.. But I have no patience to play around with the pitch/yaw/roll right now  :P
Went around a few times and now it's landing safely somewhere.

--
Actually, it landed at 18 m/s and exploded. Probably because I didn't eject the SAS and RCR :\
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:09:52 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Yeah, it seems like parachutes can't handle more than one thing. I'm not even sure if they work on ejected boosters.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I use the parachute in conjuction with a rocket engine to land.
the parachute keeps the rocket pointing upwards so it has autopilot on landing.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 848