Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448687 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yes, it has them. I only wonder if it is worth using them without totally redesigning the rocket. it is rather suboptimal at the moment. ( as suboptimal a LEO vehicle that can reach the moon can be, at any rate).

I guess I'll toy with the idea a bit. maybe replace some boosters with fuel tanks.

edit: reached a ( almost) perfectly circular orbit at 254k meters, +-800!!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 05:16:02 am by andrea »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

a contrived sample

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

when you drop the booster, you also drop the fuel; this way you are up midair with fuel tanks filled up. remember to stage the engines so that they turn on with the boosters at liftoff!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

fuel tanks on top of boosters... interesting.
I might try them, although they may turn out to be too heavy.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Just downloaded 13, having fun so far, But how do i get the turial to turn on?
I tried the settings and it seems turned on but i'm not seeing anything.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

after failing to improve the previous rocket design, I tried a new one.

managed to achieve a stable lunar orbit between 110k and 90k m ( didn't want to waste fuel to make a perfect circle).
Then I somehow managed to get the craft back to kerbin, and thanks to a very good parachute they all survived!
I suppose we won't need those new graves near the launch pad after all.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I finally achieved orbit.... and then some, Kerbins are currently leaving the solar system at 2km/s :/
EDIT: Now 2000km out from kerbin, speed is slowing, down now to 1.7km/s, it's possible they may intersect the mun's orbit in about an hour.
EDIT: So it seems i've achieved a stable orbit somewhat coincident with kerbin, Twice a year the craft and it's frozen vacuum dessicated occupents will cross kerbin's orbit, maybe oneday it'll be intercepted allowing teh crew to come home with their remains incinerated in the atmosphere
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:37:35 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I finally achieved orbit.... and then some, Kerbins are currently leaving the solar system at 2km/s :/
go team rocket!

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile

Not team galactic? ;)

Just finished a rudimentary satellite network with 7 LKO, 1 GEO and 2 Munar comsats, with near continuous coverage at orbital altitude. I'm satisfied.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

a sensible design

can only be improved by bigger boosters

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

a sensible design

can only be improved by bigger boosters

Mods? Or newest version?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

0.14.4 + mods; parts are mostly from sillisko and c7 aereospace; there is the beta landing gear too.

it uses the engineer plugin to calculate the trust to weight ratio in the first screen, the mumech autopilot plugin to provide all kind of info in the second screen
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:53:37 pm by LoSboccacc »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Mechjeb, best thing to happen to orbital piloting.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love the NovaPunch remix pack for this.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Im having a hard time of getting lined up and at the correct speed for moon landings. I rely way too much on SAS too get me into space.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

For a touchdown landing you'll want the small size of liquid engine.  You pretty much need 1x fuel tank, 1x small engine, and 3x landing legs as your ONLY gear, in order to land.  Or add a mechjeb, it'll still work.  The main issue is to go straight down - with your nav ball fully orange/brown and facing the exact top - and to go VERY slow.  The absolute slowest you can manage.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 848