Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448446 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

Here's my Munar rocket, goes to Minmus too -- although I feel Minmus probably requires less fuel than the Mun, the lower gravity makes the return trip easier.

Spoiler: rocket! (click to show/hide)
It's very boring, but it gets the job done. Landing pod is a little fuel tank and little engine. Sits ontop of one of those new pointy engines and two fuel tanks. Four regular engines with two fuel tanks attach to the central section, and the whole thing is thrust off the launchpad with 12 SFBs. You can't see it, but fuel lines link the outer tanks to the central one, and all five engines fire at once.

Meanwhile in my spaceplane department, I've been struggling to reach the moon. It's hard once you get in the upper atmosphere to keep the craft balanced enough to fly straight. Sure looks cool, though.

Spoiler: large pics (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 02:37:57 am by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Ahh, glorious soviet rocketry, why you fail me so badly, I swear i will crack this 30 engine unnessicarily large/heavy behemoth soon.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile

Mechjeb just updated, they "Fixed the Core coffee intake" (it shouldn't jitter as much when pointing the right way any more)

Any tips on making a stable jet? I'm trying to duct-tape a rocket to the top in an attempt to launch it into orbit after lifting it with the jet, but all my attempts so far end with the jet doing backflips 30m off the runway.

Scratch that, I moved the engines up with some pylons to move the center of thrust closer to center of mass, and now it only flips if I turn off mechjeb surface control... or set it to pitch up more than 20 degrees.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 03:15:14 am by Peewee »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

I was wondering: would it be possible to rig a craft so that it can turn off its plane engine once out of the athmospher and then turn on its rocket engine, go to the Mun or wherever, come back and turn its plane engine on again?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Some tips.

Remember that thrust add a momentum if off center; you can place engine under the cog to help pitchig; this has the problem that engine output isn't constant: with the high altitude engines this is more evident, with the craft changing attitude abruptly.

If you put your rear carriage too far back, the rear control surface will have a very hard time in raising the nose. Put the rear wherls near the cog and you will be abe to push up the nose muh more easily

If you put the wing ahead of the cog, those will generate an unstable configuration (the greater the aoa, the greater the diverging force). This is very effective for canard, but will casue endless attitude issues for fixed wings. If you put wings behind cog the will create a contrasibg force trying to realign and reduce the aoa. This may cause problem if you need lot of lift: angle your surfaces like flaps to help this

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I was wondering: would it be possible to rig a craft so that it can turn off its plane engine once out of the athmospher and then turn on its rocket engine, go to the Mun or wherever, come back and turn its plane engine on again?
Yep, that's called a SSTO (Single Stage To Orbit) craft. It's a challenge to do so, because rocket fuel and rocket engines are pretty heavy, but it's definitely possible. You can't, however, turn rocket engines off, so if you have fuel left by the time you get back (and your rocket tanks aren't separate from air-breather fuel tanks), you're going to have to use the rocket engines for flying back.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

If you had separate fuel storage for the engines, you could presumably cut the fuel for the rocket engine and re-fire the jet engines. I'm currently struggling with various problems with my design, but I hope to eventually fly to the Mun and back...
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm currently just struggling to build a flyable SSTO.

Or at least one that can take off reliably. This one ends up losing a wing 40% of the time.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Though I admit, I am aiming for design more than function here.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

For a moment I tough the dark blue background was actually the night sky, and that your craft was so unstable as to be flying upside-down as soon as it took off.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For a moment I tough the dark blue background was actually the night sky, and that your craft was so unstable as to be flying upside-down as soon as it took off.
Heh, I get those often enough too. Many of the crafts I build are born rockets, and so meet their untimely demise through misguided attempts to fly them like planes.

Though most of the time, they're just victims of ridiculous design.
This one is notable for being able to reverse direction on the spot. It has enough thrust to literally go head-over-heels and start going in the opposite direction without losing more than 100 meters of altitude. It's also known for its ability to automatically do that whenever ASAS is turned off.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:08:40 am by Sean Mirrsen »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Magma is overrated.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Do the wings do anything?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes they have full control with flaps and the like just like an airplane wing

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes. It glides in for a horizontal landing. Here's some pictures of the previous model.
Magma is overrated.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Tsss. You didn't even land on the runway.

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 848