Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443852 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #1875 on: September 12, 2012, 02:56:25 pm »

You might actually be better staging the solid boosters a bit more. 6, 3, 3 or even 3, 3, 3, 3 With the little bit of weight you're sending up you MIGHT even be able to get away with 3, 3, 2, 2, 2. Just make sure you always keep the thrust even. Don't want 2-3 on the same side all going off at once rather than 2 or 3 equally spaced.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #1876 on: September 12, 2012, 03:18:33 pm »

Yeah, 3,3,2,2,2 works beautifully, but I know it's still not the most efficient way of doing things. I'll leave it to you how to improve it from there. ;) Enjoy.

Edit: Sorry, meant this as an edit to the last post, not a new one. Apologies.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: September 12, 2012, 03:38:08 pm »

I should probably work on how I do boosters. Because I don't really do boosters so well. Most of the time I just stick a load more liquid fuel rockets on the side that feed fuel into the central column so that they run out first.

Instead I just try and make rockets as tall as possible. They are now at the point where they start snapping in half, they wobble so much.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: September 13, 2012, 01:08:22 am »

I should probably work on how I do boosters. Because I don't really do boosters so well. Most of the time I just stick a load more liquid fuel rockets on the side that feed fuel into the central column so that they run out first.

Instead I just try and make rockets as tall as possible. They are now at the point where they start snapping in half, they wobble so much.
I use the same method, i call it The Dropper.
Like you said, feeds to inner engines and drops the outer ones.
This is as far as i know the most efficient design.
BUT you rocket ends up looking like a cylinder.

Using this method i landed on the Mun with 6 engines each with 4 full fuel tank, and a secondary lander on top(i flew to minmus with it after i landed on the mun). This was in the last version though, before the large fuel tanks.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: September 13, 2012, 01:33:35 pm »

Spoiler: Am I doing it right? (click to show/hide)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: September 13, 2012, 01:36:58 pm »

Except for a distinct lack of anything that would actually get it into space, looks great. :P

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: September 13, 2012, 01:46:03 pm »

Hehehe, yeah, this is a distinctly atmo-only plane.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: September 13, 2012, 01:55:43 pm »

Spoiler: Well, I sorta landed (click to show/hide)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: September 13, 2012, 02:49:31 pm »

Any landing you can propel yourself away from under your own power...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: September 13, 2012, 02:58:12 pm »

Spoiler: Booyah. (click to show/hide)
Can't take off again, though.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: September 13, 2012, 03:17:57 pm »

Why the wing pieces pointing down?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: September 13, 2012, 03:22:48 pm »

Why the wing pieces pointing down?
Gravity. They're straight in the hangar. maybe I should have them angled slightly upwards

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: September 13, 2012, 04:06:56 pm »

Since the size multiplication, wing tips require struts to the fuselage

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: September 13, 2012, 08:23:23 pm »

I'll put this here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is a fully working and balanced VTOL which can go from hover to fly mid-flight and back again, it can also take off either way. It is mostly stock parts with a couple of mod parts for the engines.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: September 13, 2012, 10:02:03 pm »

That is pretty darn impressive.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 848