Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448363 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2115 on: September 22, 2012, 03:45:08 pm »

Throw some winglets on it too? Those help a bit more, if your initial stages don't have vectored engines.
Is lift also what is responsible for keeping things stable? If so, then I could probably just slap a load of delta wings onto my boosters. And this also higlights for me that the game needs something like the larger ASAS, but a SAS.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2116 on: September 22, 2012, 03:49:19 pm »

I made it to Duna and back! Hurray!
Spoiler: The lander (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The lifting stage (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hello from Duna! (click to show/hide)
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: September 22, 2012, 04:08:20 pm »

hehe. everybody is talking about how to get to planets and back, and all I have managed to do is to strand crews on the mun. each rescue crew gets stranded too, for several reasons. and I can't even bring a rover there. the 2 times I tried doing that, it broke during landing.

does anyone have a good rover design? if my kerbonauts can get better transport, that could be a nice colony.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: September 22, 2012, 04:55:57 pm »

Throw some winglets on it too? Those help a bit more, if your initial stages don't have vectored engines.
Is lift also what is responsible for keeping things stable? If so, then I could probably just slap a load of delta wings onto my boosters. And this also higlights for me that the game needs something like the larger ASAS, but a SAS.
Actually, seems like no matter how much stuff I slap on there, it can't keep itself upright. I suspect a thrust imbalance but can't see anything on the ship that isn't symmetrical.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: September 22, 2012, 05:43:56 pm »

Your center of mass might be too high so it's just falling over.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: September 22, 2012, 06:05:41 pm »

I made it to Duna and back! Hurray!
Spoiler: The lander (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The lifting stage (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hello from Duna! (click to show/hide)
Instead of using all that fuel to slow you down to deploy your lander, why not just Aerobrake and save weight?
You only need enough fuel for some light orbital maneuvering after you get the intercept trajectory.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: September 22, 2012, 06:08:17 pm »

Duna doesn't have much atmosphere, so...

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: September 22, 2012, 08:07:33 pm »

I do aerobrake, actually I lucked out that when I did my second pass around Duna I intercepted it's moon and used it to slingshot me straight onto Duna so I used almost no fuel to slow down. I carry that fuel so that I can get back home. 1 large tank with a nuclear engine is enough to get back from Duna but I need to get out of the atmosphere first.
Thendash's Livestream

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: September 22, 2012, 09:34:18 pm »

Actually, seems like no matter how much stuff I slap on there, it can't keep itself upright. I suspect a thrust imbalance but can't see anything on the ship that isn't symmetrical.

You might actually be trying to go too fast. Most rockets can't get much faster than 150 m/s in the low atmosphere without wanting to do flips. Keep your speed down around 100 m/s-ish until you get above 5000 meters, then under 200 till you get to 10,000. From then on you're safer, but just don't go crazy with the acceleration. I honestly haven't used an SAS in several versions, just thrust vectoring and fins keep me stable as long as you don't try to do more than you can handle aerodynamically.

Besides, if you're trying to pile on that much speed too low then you're just wasting fuel. The faster you go, the more you have to fight the air resistance.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: September 22, 2012, 09:44:06 pm »

You might actually be trying to go too fast. Most rockets can't get much faster than 150 m/s in the low atmosphere without wanting to do flips. Keep your speed down around 100 m/s-ish until you get above 5000 meters, then under 200 till you get to 10,000. From then on you're safer, but just don't go crazy with the acceleration. I honestly haven't used an SAS in several versions, just thrust vectoring and fins keep me stable as long as you don't try to do more than you can handle aerodynamically.

Besides, if you're trying to pile on that much speed too low then you're just wasting fuel. The faster you go, the more you have to fight the air resistance.
I found that the main problem was the huge payload causing the centre of mass to be about half the ship up from the centre of thrust. I pretty much just changed the higher stages into the smaller rockets, and it still does its job fine.

Thanks for the numbers though, I'll keep those in mind.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: September 22, 2012, 09:46:04 pm »

Horribly wobbily rocket, with about a 30% success at reaching orbit (70% of the time it spontaneously explodes in atmosphere)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Current more successful rocket. Can almost get to the moon in a straight line from Kerban. Alot of RCS thrusters are needed to keep this thing straight...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: September 22, 2012, 09:56:45 pm »

I have never used any SAS other than the ASAS :P I just use a crapload of fins, 4-8 on the booster stage, 3 on the orbit stage.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: September 23, 2012, 12:39:11 am »

You only need 1 asas. The asas controls the sas, the sas applies the force. The more sas the more possible force, but more asas is pointless because you don't need more control. Also why are you trying to get to the moon in a straight line? That's super inefficient because you'll be fighting gravity the whole way up. Get into an orbit heading 90, then when the moon rises on the horizon burn prograde until your orbit intercepts the moon.
Thendash's Livestream

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: September 23, 2012, 12:59:16 am »

Also why are you trying to get to the moon in a straight line? That's super inefficient because you'll be fighting gravity the whole way up.

Its Fun.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: September 23, 2012, 01:21:45 am »

I had this problem with one of my huge rockets, but having vectored thrusters fixed it all up. Don't know whether you can do the same, but they are very helpful.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 848