Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448846 times)

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2145 on: September 23, 2012, 09:49:46 am »

Ah, thanks.

On other news, another near miss on trying to hit the moon by shooting from the hip. It is getting closer though.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2146 on: September 23, 2012, 09:56:17 am »

An old trick is to aim at the mun as it rises over the horizon

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: September 23, 2012, 09:59:21 am »

An old trick is to aim at the mun as it rises over the horizon
I believe that he's doing it just straight from Kerbin, upwards.
Which means that you want about a 50 degree angle I think. I know that going from Kerbin to the Mun from orbit usually has it move about 50 degrees ahead, but with the whole launching thing, you might have to compensate another 10 or 15 degrees.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: September 23, 2012, 10:03:12 am »

Okay, after some modifications and fuel line optimizations (it was using the top stack fuel alongside the drop tanks), Celestia's Guidance MkII is on intercept course with Duna, with about 1800 fuel left for the NERVAs (that's about 600m/s delta-v), and the lander has another 800 fuel, which it's going to use much more efficiently.

Also, take a little note there. The capsule, which has a ring of boosters but seemingly no parachute? It has a parachute. Mounted within the decoupler. Great way to save space!
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: September 23, 2012, 11:15:25 am »

I'm still failing to even get to the mun, but i'm getting closer.
I'll probably need to reread all that stuff about transfer orbits etc.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2150 on: September 23, 2012, 11:17:18 am »

Only just now getting back into this. I'm using the MapSat plugin to map Kerbal, so placing mapping sats into different orbits to cover the surface. Its fun.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: September 23, 2012, 11:44:39 am »

As requested I turned off easy mode, and made a 3m lander:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, space haiku.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: September 23, 2012, 11:59:05 am »

Did they come home?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2153 on: September 23, 2012, 12:56:29 pm »

Kerbin is now mapped entirely. Took some doing and a lot of waiting. The mapping plugin is neat.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: September 23, 2012, 03:08:53 pm »

Celestia's Guidance MkII has just had a very (un)eventful trip. After realizing that an intercept of Duna is unlikely, and accelerating to attempt an intercept of Jool (missed by a few weeks' travel time), the pilot got exceedingly bored and decided to have a rendezvous with the Sun. I mean, the ship's name at least is fitting. So, at the apoapsis around the orbit of Jool, the pilot slammed the metaphorical brakes and brought the ship to a near stop. The fuel in the main section had run out, and the lander section used about half of its fuel to accomplish the transfer to about 300km off the Sun's surface - reasonably safe, but close enough to look. Spending three quarters of a year getting there, the pilot got a neat view of the Sun's spots, and then became bored again as nothing of interest could be accomplished any more. Too late did the pilot notice that the trajectory had put him close to an intersect with Kerbin, and even with all the fuel left for the NERVA engine, and the 400m/s boost from the emergency capsule ejection system, he could not even enter the system's SOI, missing it by a hair. So, all opportunities save for the semi-cheating space pack exploit expended, the capsule was lost in space.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: September 23, 2012, 03:12:49 pm »

Just finally landed on Minmus.
After the new version came out I realised I should probably conquer Kerbin and her moons before moving on.
Had a relatively good landing, even managing to manoeuvre over to a lake for a nice easy landing. Pictures will surely follow.
So you all scoff with your Duna landings and what not, I'm getting there. ;D
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: September 23, 2012, 04:32:56 pm »

I've gotten to the Mun now, with an entire 1.5 fuel tanks left (running on nuclear engine so that's quite a lot), I reckon that I could land some pretty heavy stuff there, if I'd actually used a rocket with a lander on it to get there. I accidentally brought the model that I was going to use for some deep space exploration (Kerbol slingshot). Another landing that cannot be. And I wasn't going to risk trying to land the not-a-lander because Jeb was onboard, and I didn't want him dying. I just put him in a 1.5km orbit so he can watch the surface whizzing by.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: September 23, 2012, 05:00:57 pm »

I wasn't going to risk trying to land the not-a-lander because Jeb was onboard, and I didn't want him dying. I just put him in a 1.5km orbit so he can watch the surface whizzing by.

You might have an inadvertent 'landing' with that orbit regardless. There are mountains of more than 3 km on the Mun.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: September 23, 2012, 05:14:01 pm »

I wasn't going to risk trying to land the not-a-lander because Jeb was onboard, and I didn't want him dying. I just put him in a 1.5km orbit so he can watch the surface whizzing by.

You might have an inadvertent 'landing' with that orbit regardless. There are mountains of more than 3 km on the Mun.
The wiki disagrees, but it's also way out of date.
I was kind of hoping to see some of the geographical features that apparently exist on the mun, but no luck so far. Most of the time I've been looking, it's been nighttime though.
We need floodlights.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: September 23, 2012, 05:46:16 pm »

We need floodlights.

THIS. SO MUCH THIS.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 848