Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443847 times)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile

By the way, if you want proof that gravity turns give more delta-v, I did some tests with my demo copy of KSP. My SSTO test rocket on full burn, straight up, gave me an apoapsis of 1630 km, with a very eccentric orbit. It took me a couple of tries, but one flight profile (full burn with a gradual gravity turn) managed to get an apoapsis of 1988 km, in a more circular orbit. Granted, the 1988 flight had an periapsis below ground level, but not by much.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 02:50:58 pm by Techhead »
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I think pre .17 have a bug on fuel consumption so that it is non linear
100% throttle -> 100% fuel -> 100% power
10% throttle -> 1% fuel -> 10% power

don't know when it was introduced first and if demo is affected

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I think pre .17 have a bug on fuel consumption so that it is non linear
100% throttle -> 100% fuel -> 100% power
10% throttle -> 1% fuel -> 10% power

don't know when it was introduced first and if demo is affected
Introduced in .16, fixed in .17, demo not affected.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So the rocket in that graph only burns for like 5 seconds? then throttles down to almost nothing, I assume just maintaining speed? then throttles slowly up.

Some Newtonian calculations gives us a speed of 196m/s when the throttle down happens.(assuming burning for 5 sec at 4 G)
We need to find that number in KSP. Anybody know what math KSP uses to determine air resistance and gravity drag?

More testing will be required!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:24:21 pm by ank »

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile

No, I was on full burn until fuel ran out, on every test flight. When I said 'leveling off', I meant that I turned towards horizontal as I gained altitude. I guess I was using the term incorrectly, I should have been calling it a pitch over maneuver. Leveling off is when you make the final turn towards horizontal.

I really recommend using gravity turns if you are worried about fuel consumption during lift offs and landings.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Heh, i just saw thagt reliant robin episode of top gear, it's KSP to a tee, including bodgy backyard rocketry, a short guy, a stupid launch failure, and a bigass explosion.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

And a reliant robin 

The faces of the rocketry club people! Awesome.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

Ugh, spaceplanes are endlessly frustrating. I start with one that flies quite well, and just generally works, but it has insufficient fuel to make it to orbit.

I add more fuel tanks, adjust accordingly to maintain balance... then discover that it inexplicably doesn't drain fuel correctly, with the left front tank emptying before the right front, and the craft spiraling out of control.

Cue reworking fuel lines... and testing, and reworking, over and over. I disassembled the entire thing, removed every fuel line, put it back together and it still didn't work.

I finally give up and just fly with a few less lines, it's less efficient but it "works". I'm not sure if I put it all back together right, because now it's highly twitchy and doesn't fly well. After a few crashes, I get going and discover I still don't have enough fuel for orbit. Commence crying.

At least I got a nice screenshot out of it, though!

Spoiler: Screenshot (click to show/hide)
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I might be overdoing it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I might be overdoing it:
Nonsense, no such thing.
If anything, I'd say the space section needs MORE BOOSTERS. Unless there's no problems, then that's fine.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I might be overdoing it:
Nonsense, no such thing.
If anything, I'd say the space section needs MORE BOOSTERS. Unless there's no problems, then that's fine.
There's no "overdoing it" in KSP. Just "Fire the engines!" and "Hit the next stage!".
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I might be overdoing it:
Nonsense, no such thing.
There's no "overdoing it" in KSP. Just "Fire the engines!" and "Hit the next stage!".
Let's not forget the ever-present "Add more struts!" either.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

I might be overdoing it:
Nonsense, no such thing.
Let's not forget the ever-present "Add more struts!" either.

If anything is needed, it is the fact that it needs to be upploaded somewhere so we all can enjoy your creation.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's an abandoned design, since all the interest I'll tinker some more with it... needs more engines!
but if anybody is interested in getting the damn thing to work i can just upload that version

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

More boosters and more engines for more fun.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 848