Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448101 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yay! I have made my first round-trip between the moon and kerbal! I didnt survive the return (hit the water at about 300m/s... Not enough fuel) but a lot was learned. I spent way too much fuel trying to correct my lunar orbit, but then I remembered kerbal's gravity is strong enough to pull me into orbit with it no matter how wacky my heading is.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile

Crudely-drawn orbit adjustment guide (To hopefully help people with issues orbiting):

(The red arrow is the the ship, and the direction it is currently travelling. The black arrow represents the direction you would accelerate in, that is try to travel in the direction of the arrow. The "diagrams" with no arrow represent the original orbit, that we are going to adjust. The black circle is the body you are orbiting).

Spoiler: Tilting orbit (click to show/hide)
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have found that there is a limit to how much thrust you can apply to a craft without the physics breaking down and either wrecking the craft, or just lacking like hell.
I've found the limit to be about 10 of the biggest engines.

Scaling the ship down to only 6-8 engines will really help with lag.

I'll be working on the orbit challenge later. could you upload the craft file so we have identical crafts?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

you may just be passing the strength limit of the decoupler. more struts may help holding things in place

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I already posted a ship capable of lifting a huge interplanetary landing stage, with only 6 big engines and no lag.
So from my perspective, there is no real need to use more thrust at a time, than what my computer can handle(which looks to be about the same as you guys)

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=inkkLAfFIbY
Just going to leave this here. I hope it hasn't already been posted. Now I REALLY want to get KSP.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=inkkLAfFIbY
Just going to leave this here. I hope it hasn't already been posted. Now I REALLY want to get KSP.

Been posted in this thread 3 or 4 times...

I also feel the need to point out that the game is NOT at all like the video.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

By the way, people judging the game based on that movie... it is exactly that, a movie. It takes a ton of setup to get even one of those shots and I'm betting a fair amount of luck as well. The game is first and foremost a space simulation, and a slightly arcadey one at that. It's great at what it does, but don't expect that kind of action out of it on a regular basis.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have been using the Protractor plug in to fly semi trucks (I forget the name of that mod) to Minus to set up a Kerthane mining operation. Let me say that DRIVING on Minus is much more difficult than FLYING to Minus.

To get there I put my craft in a 4-6 degree inclination orbit and I start my burn when Minus is 30 degrees out of phase with Kerbin (I don't know if that is the proper phrase, but it works pretty well). Protractor will also tell you your closest point to the other body so it makes it easy to adjust.

I heard some people mention having difficulties with control surfaces after going max warp. The way my craft is supposed to work is that the Kerbin/Minus transfer stage is supposed to slow my craft to around 15 m/s before disconnecting and allowing the truck to be lowered with RCS. The problem is when I get to Minus, translate UP becomes translate up and down at the same time so my trucks smash down.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hooray, I managed to get my first stable munar orbit - with my penultimate stage still attached and with fuel!  :o

Hmm.  Guess I'll be leaving space junk in orbit around the Mun for a change!  Got to free my lander stage up from its brother and see if I can actually land the damn thing now!  :D

Edit:  umm, oops?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:10:10 pm by jhxmt »
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

339m/s might be slightly too much for a Mun landing  8)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems a case of "suddenly,land"

Landing on the dark side without visual clues is challengy.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile

Are there any spotlight mods for KSP?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Are there any spotlight mods for KSP?

Yes.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher