Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448120 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2820 on: December 05, 2012, 05:35:24 pm »

Why do my rockets look so phallic?

It's a rocket.
Nothing important here, move along.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2821 on: December 05, 2012, 05:35:41 pm »

Ion engines are pretty much useless IMO.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #2822 on: December 05, 2012, 05:57:53 pm »

A interesting concept has been brewing in my mind.

Essentially, it's where you dock parts you want to build a rocket with on a space station.

Then, after amassing the parts, dock the craft head/capsule and proceed to un-dock the rocket parts from the station and dock them to the capsule.

Basically you build a rocket in space. This is useful since you can make a massive rocket in space, away from all the problems of gravity. Though if you screw up getting to your destination, you are going to have one hell of a time rebuilding that rocket.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: December 05, 2012, 05:59:40 pm »

So for once I have actually put NOT ENOUGH engines on a rocket stage.
Today is a memorable day indeed.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: December 05, 2012, 06:13:28 pm »

How fast are you going?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: December 05, 2012, 06:15:35 pm »

Yes, you could have (and should have) been going slower.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: December 05, 2012, 06:21:34 pm »

This is going to sound like a stupid question, and I only ask it because I made this mistake myself ( :-[ ), but if either of your docking ports are covered have you commanded them to open up?

Wouldn't ask if I hadn't done it myself.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: December 05, 2012, 06:24:34 pm »

also some are different size... the small one doesnt fit in the normal docking port one!

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: December 05, 2012, 06:26:04 pm »

Was either spacecraft built on an ancient Indian burial ground?

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: December 05, 2012, 06:34:02 pm »

That shouldn't have a negative effect - in fact, the two times I've had success docking, I've actually found it easier with SAS off - well, ASAS off, anyway, mainly because I'm trying to do fine manoeuvring with RCS and it snatches control away from me at the drop of a hat!

So - two docking ports, unshielded, perfectly aligned, coming together slowly, negligible relative velocity...it does sound like it should've worked.  No clue why not, I'm afraid.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: December 05, 2012, 07:09:04 pm »

The speed you should dock at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKQzCB1kHho

Assuming you line everything up perfectly, it will begin to pull the craft in with a magnetic-like force, latching it on when it steadies out. If you are moving pretty much at all compared to the station, you will fail to dock.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: December 05, 2012, 07:14:03 pm »

If I were to adjust my speed whatsoever from that point, I would have stopped.

The fact remains that if you were going fast enough that you bounced off, you were going too fast.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: December 06, 2012, 01:48:18 am »

setting the ship as a target can lead to the navball being worthless when you are very close, depending on positions.
if you click on the speed readout you can cycle between target and orbit modes
Magma is overrated.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2833 on: December 06, 2012, 04:29:02 am »

While other people are doing fancy stuff like docking, or getting to Jool with a lot of people to colonize it, I'm just plopping little satellites in space.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like its design, though. I didn't expect the ASAS module to be so pretty with six ion engines, kinda like one of those Star Wars fighters with a ring as its engine.

I learned that six ion engines guzzle electricity like no tomorrow. Four giant solar panels and four small solar panels still don't provide surplus electricity with all of the engines all full throttle. And the thrust is still negligible. xD

I would like a mod that adds a bigger ion engine that provides more thrust and uses even more electricity... :3

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: December 06, 2012, 07:15:32 am »

If I were to adjust my speed whatsoever from that point, I would have stopped.
Did you toggled the hull mounted clam o tron? Yes you need to do that.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 848