Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448107 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3195 on: December 17, 2012, 12:35:51 am »

My Eve mission went amazingly smooth for something with such a bumpy start. The transit vessel got there with enough fuel left over to establish a nice, circular near-Eve orbit. Here's the photo album:

Spoiler: Sunrise over Eve (click to show/hide)

It kept gliding for several minutes after that last picture before I was finally able to force it down and apply the brakes. With the drone's ability to basically glide indefinitely in Eve's atmosphere, coupled with the hours of ion thrust available and the second drone still in orbit, I can essentially explore all of Eve if I wanted to. Sadly I forgot to include any scientific instrumentation on the drones, so no useful readings for future manned missions.

Also, first thing landed on an alien planet! Yay!

A tip for anyone who tries something like this in the future: Make sure the net aerial lift on your rocket is zero! It is absolutely horrifying trying to deal with a rocket with unbalanced wings.
The program seems smart enough to figure out the proper control orientation for the craft if you right click the command part select "Control from here" so you don't have to worry about opposing craft having opposite control schemes.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3196 on: December 17, 2012, 02:18:22 am »

Δv is a pure number (scalar) and represent how much change in velocity your craft can do.

when applied to a specific direction, it becomes a maneuver, and the vectorial sum applies between the previous velocity vector and a unity vector pointing in your craft direction multiplied the Δv expended. (approximatively, because it is always assumed infinite impulse)

notice that without staging you can change the dV of a rocket only by augmenting the impulse (higher efficiency engine) or augmenting the fuel fraction (total fuel mass / total craft mass)

i.e. in the asparagus rocket if you actually don't stage from outer to inner even adding another outer layer only marginally change the fuel fraction leaving more or less the same impulse and fraction in proportion to the craft mass, resulting in minimal gain for much more lag

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3197 on: December 17, 2012, 04:16:02 am »

Mun mission album!
It has all the descriptions, too.

Learned things: To change a radically different inclination, you need to burn multiple times. Don't try to do it all on one node ! :D
Also, Mun orbits are extremely sensitive to rocket thrust. I almost flung the Lander out of orbit because I accidentally the throttle for only one second.

Seeing that orbiting Mun is extremely easy, I think my huge ship should fly to a different target. The Mun is just anti-climatic.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: December 17, 2012, 04:30:20 am »

Δv is a pure number (scalar) and represent how much change in velocity your craft can do.

when applied to a specific direction, it becomes a maneuver, and the vectorial sum applies between the previous velocity vector and a unity vector pointing in your craft direction multiplied the Δv expended. (approximatively, because it is always assumed infinite impulse)

We add the vectors right?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "multiplied Δv expended"

Isn't Δv the theoretical velocity you would gain by burning prograde(or loose by burning retrograde).
If you burn perpendicular, you are not really gaining any speed, but you are expending Δv

In most normal sentences(like we have those....) Δv just means POWER! you don't have to think about vectors, just look at it as a number that describes how much you need to burn.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: December 17, 2012, 06:21:55 am »

If you burn perpendicular, you are not really gaining any speed, but you are expending Δv

I think (my physics is rusty) you would actually gain speed if you burn perpendicular. Actually, if you got your current speed in the original direction (which should remain the same) and your new speed in the perpendicular direction, the new speed at a point in time might be square_root(x*x + y*y), where x and y are your original direction speed, and y is the new (perpendicular) direction speed.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: December 17, 2012, 07:06:08 am »

You wouldn't gain speed if you burn perpendicular to your velocity vector, as that would just be you turning the vector, not adjusting its length. At least, relative to a body you're orbiting. You would gain speed in any frame of reference where your thrust direction isn't perpendicular to your velocity though, such as if you dropped off a probe and burned perpendicular to your common orbit. And note that you will only not gain velocity if you keep turning to perpendicular as your velocity vector turns - if you burn in one direction, you will only burn perpendicular for the first umpteenth of a second, after which you will slowly gain speed.

(I mean, think about it - gravity is already doing exactly that, pulling you in one direction constantly. If you're on a perfect circular orbit, your speed does not change, but the velocity vector keeps turning because of the force of gravity acting on it in a perpendicular direction.)

edit:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:24:54 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: December 17, 2012, 12:36:15 pm »

I think (my physics is rusty) you would actually gain speed if you burn perpendicular. Actually, if you got your current speed in the original direction (which should remain the same) and your new speed in the perpendicular direction, the new speed at a point in time might be square_root(x*x + y*y), where x and y are your original direction speed, and y is the new (perpendicular) direction speed.

You are correct. The new velocity vector would be each of them added together.
If you apply 1 force unit to each end of a straight angle, (like left and forward) you can calculate the hypotenuse via Pythagoras theorem. If not straight angles you can use sine.
anyways, you'd end up with about 1.4 force units for the combined vector.

But that makes me wonder, in that case do we subtract the first vector from the result vector to get delta-v? that would make sense actually, since delta-v would then be vector applied.

Anyways, back to space stations!
After about 300 explosions i finally did it!
I brought the Circularium into orbit:

What the hell is that!?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can't possibly means that's a spaceship?

There's method to the madness:

This is the huge central piece to my new space station... it includes 8 NERVA engines.
There is a central square docking port, and 8 square docking ports on the ring.

Now I gotta refuel the thing, and add a bunch of modules.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: December 17, 2012, 12:51:00 pm »

Well, there goes my pride at landing something on Minmus without it going up in booms.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: December 17, 2012, 01:20:00 pm »

You can check the controls from the main menu, but the easiest way to use the RCS is to switch to docking mode, by clicking on the middle of the three icons down by the staging counter. that lets you use WASD, shift, and ctrl, to control the RCS, and space toggles between moving and rotating.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: December 17, 2012, 01:27:13 pm »

or press r

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: December 17, 2012, 01:50:40 pm »

You can check the controls from the main menu, but the easiest way to use the RCS is to switch to docking mode, by clicking on the middle of the three icons down by the staging counter. that lets you use WASD, shift, and ctrl, to control the RCS, and space toggles between moving and rotating.

You can't check controls while flying, which is unfortunate. Having a printed keybinding is a good thing.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3207 on: December 17, 2012, 03:17:02 pm »

Holy cow, that's some epic space station :O

It has tons of fuelthingies in the middle, apparently undetachable... still! What are your plans? :)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: December 17, 2012, 05:07:08 pm »

Holy cow, that's some epic space station :O

It has tons of fuelthingies in the middle, apparently undetachable... still! What are your plans? :)

This is going to be the main hub and engine of my new moveable space station.

Gonna attach lander modules and habitat and refuel it.
Then, it's off to Jool!
Gonna bring a lander for each moon.

Also, it needs a spaceplane... anybody got a good design that can get to orbit from Laithe? (very simmilar to Kerbin)

Getting it to space was a real hassle, it's the heaviest thing I've ever put into orbit.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3209 on: December 17, 2012, 05:12:14 pm »

D: That shim is bigger than mine Dx

* Skyrunner feels puny now xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 848