Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448609 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

yeah it is a shame that we have usb3.0 since 2008 and most laptop still doesn't support it.

at least you can find some decent usb key and usb ssd that supports it by now, but still the market as lot of usb2.0 junk around.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Well, an article I found says that 3.0 really hasn't been in the market until 2011...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ATTN: KERBAL SPACE ENGINEERING

We've got a problem. This hilariously unstable ship proved as sturdy as kerbally possible:

I jacked all the leftover fuel (two orange tanks, with some left over) onto the primary station to save on Kethane, with one being brought with the stage for emergency purposes. Such as this. I managed to slow it down to ~4m/s using RCS, then it tumbled a bit - total damage to the craft is one small spare part storage, one communotron attached to it and some non-vital structures.

I sure as hell am not letting this >300 ton craft go to waste.

The resources you see are the only ones I have available, unless I am to try a daring mission to send a craft of some sort to add more storage (with the position of the only docking port however, this'd be pure pain). There are no Kerbals stranded, so this is purely for the glory of industrial engineering. There is a spaceport beacon attached right under the MechJeb pod, so if we really want to cheat we can send a vessel equipped with a jump drive there and wench, wench, and wench some more.

We're waiting here.

How the fuck did you get so many spare parts onto the Mun!?

let's see yer launch ship!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

What the...

After hours of manoeuvring, my mapping module was finally going to dock with my core station. It almost missed the docking part though (I am never going to use RCS again), it's magnet thingie triggered.

After 10 seconds of fucking around it crashed into the core and exploded. Seriously? >.<

Yay for save scumming I guess.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

How are you goingto dock without RCS? D:

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

You dock with RCS? I couldn't actually go forward or backward with it. I can turn every possible direction, but I cannot gain or lose speed relative to the thing I am targeting.

How I dock:
I just increase speed (pointing at target) until I will get in within ~100 meters of target, wait until I am that close, than decrease my speed to 0m/s relative to the target. I do this another time but up to 10 meters to the target, and than I target the docking port and increase speed to 1m/s.

MechJeb is used with pretty much everything in there :P. Obviously, this all is after I get within a few kilometres in a similar orbit.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

My main problem using rocket engines in docking is that they can push the target away inducing dangerous spin

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

That is why you should do it slowly.

I guess. It's not like I've done this more than two times :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I've never had a problem with using RCS, even on heavy craft, so long as you place ENOUGH RCS clusters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Same for me, except that I do not have problems when I do not place any at all :P

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

You dock with RCS? I couldn't actually go forward or backward with it. I can turn every possible direction, but I cannot gain or lose speed relative to the thing I am targeting.

How I dock:
I just increase speed (pointing at target) until I will get in within ~100 meters of target, wait until I am that close, than decrease my speed to 0m/s relative to the target. I do this another time but up to 10 meters to the target, and than I target the docking port and increase speed to 1m/s.

MechJeb is used with pretty much everything in there :P. Obviously, this all is after I get within a few kilometres in a similar orbit.

.... Docking is supposed to be done with RCS O_O

You use space mode, right? WASD QE are rotational controls.
JKLI are translational controls, left down right up. Aaaand... HN are forwards/backwards. :D

The problem with rockets is this:
1, they push your target away.
2, they're extremely powerful.
3, if you miss, you're going to smash into your target and aslopdify it at worst, bump it into a spin at best, or break something on average.
4, theoretically rocket exhaust damages parts.

Usually, I use RCS once I get within 500 meters of my target. RCS is really powerful :P 3 sets of 4 RCS thrusters provided 0.1 m/s/s acceleration on a 150 ton rocket, or nearly 15 tons of force. O_o

* Skyrunner shakes fist at Mechjeb
Darned mechjeb, depriving aspiring kerbalnauts of skills! D:<

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Those points are invalid if you go <1m/s. And why would you aim your engine exhaust into the other spaceship..?

But I did not know there were buttons for RCS other than WASDQE xD. Not that it matters, the way I do it right now works fine. No need to add some parts which will only be used for docking >.<.

And about MechJeb... I can't even achieve an orbit without it. MechJeb > Skills :P

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

See? Mechjeb is making you dependent on it D:

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Okay okay. My next module will be done without MechJeb and with RCS thrusters. Gotta stay open-minded :P.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

And about MechJeb... I can't even achieve an orbit without it. MechJeb > Skills :P

That's something I just don't get about this game.  It's hard sure, but I'm sorry, I can't even imagine it being that hard to grasp.

Build a rocket with a few jumbo tanks and engines.  Hit the go button and stay around two-thirds throttle.  When you're doing 500-800 m/s at around 40000 meters, begin turning right.  Bring up the orbit map, bring up the navball in the orbit map (if you don't want to do it the old-fashioned way) to make sure you stay in a straight line, and keep going at at curve somewhere between the yellow "target" reticule and the horizon.  When you see the top of your projected arc at about the altitude you want (anything over 100k is good), point your navball dead at the horizon or a little under it and continue watching the orbit tracker.  When you see the Periapsis above 100k you're in good shape, when you see it and the Apoapsis flip position, you're golden.

There ya go, achieving orbit made simple.  Now, doing anything else (let get down) is another matter, but if you can master orbiting freehand, you're well on your way to almost anything.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 848