Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448701 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

As for what to do - it's the same as Dwarf Fortress. Build bigger till you fail, then redo what you built so it works, then build bigger still.

See if you can make interesting designs. See if you can recreate existing spacecraft. See if you can complete some of the challenges on the KSP forums. I'd say that the sky's the limit, but then again it's not exactly true here, is it? :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

My first rover design... didn't quite work as intended. It doesn't have much traction on the moon, so it can't really accelerate, and is horribly unstable once it gets moving.

Spoiler: Rover (click to show/hide)

Ah well, back to the drawing board.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile

Yea I know it's supposed to be a sandbox game, but shouldn't there be a *little* more to it than just building rockets/spaceships?
Or am I just missing something?

There will be more than just that (researching new parts, objectives and scenarios etc), but the game is not actually finished yet.

If you want more now, try self-imposed goals. Make a orbiter-and-docking Mun lander, a giant refueling space station etc.

My first rover design... didn't quite work as intended. It doesn't have much traction on the moon, so it can't really accelerate, and is horribly unstable once it gets moving.

Maby part of the reason is your kerbal can only see floor :P
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The way it flips, tumbles, rolls, and bounces around once it gets going... I think he probably prefers just seeing the floor, really.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Wait, did we really get like proper rover wheels, an not 'rocket wheels'?
Yep. They can even be damaged by impacts and kerbals can EVA to repair them. :D

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile

Yea I know it's supposed to be a sandbox game, but shouldn't there be a *little* more to it than just building rockets/spaceships?
Or am I just missing something?
Maybe try some challenges? The official forums have many of them, with great variety.
There is a ton of things to learn about the game or space flight in general to be interested for a long time.

I have spent countless hours on this game even thou i'm yet to create a space station or land and return from Duna.
For example a challenge of designing mission to Tylo (Jool's moon with almost Kerbin like gravity and no atmosphere to do a areobrake) and back in least amount of stock parts (before docking patch) took me around 30hours in total (it was a 74part craft with total Dv above 10km/s and in the end i finished with only 30L of fuel in tank).
There are also already designed challenges like Pentathlon (5 different mission with varying objectives) that are just fun to try out.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Couple of stories unfortunately lacking screenshots.

First story starts with another story from history.

Quote from: Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornfield_Bomber
...a routine training flight, conducting aerial combat maneuvers, on February 2, 1970 ended when the aircraft entered a flat spin. The pilot, Gary Foust, attempted to recover, including the desperation move of deploying the aircraft's drag chute; however recovery proved to be impossible, and Foust fired his ejection seat and escaped the stricken aircraft at an altitude of 15,000 feet (4,600 m).
The reduction in weight and change in center of gravity caused by the removal of Foust and the ejection seat, however, caused the aircraft, trimmed for takeoff and with the throttle at idle, to successfully recover itself from the spin. One of the other pilots on the mission is reported to have radioed Foust during his descent under his parachute that "you'd better get back in it!". Foust watched incredulously as the now-pilotless aircraft descended and skidded to a halt in a farmer's field near Big Sandy, Montana...

...The damage to the aircraft was minimal; indeed, one officer on the recovery crew is reported to have stated that were there any less damage he would have simply flown the aircraft out of the field.

I had attempted a turbojet assisted rocket plane and had successfully flown beyond 25km before the engines cut out, putting me into a spin. With the help of the rocket motor, I recovered from the spin, ejected the jet engines and made my way to the secondary airstrip on the island. This plane's design was influenced by recent designs on here and thus was a vertical landing plane on 4 legs. For safety the cockpit could eject. I'd made it all the way to the strip and had about 30 seconds of fuel to land, but at low speeds the plane just didn't want to work with me and at about 500m I ejected the cockpit and the kerbal safely. Even after the kerbal had landed though the remains of the plane continued to float around in the air, making dives at the ground but taking forever to reach it. Finally one low, slow swoop took it into a shallow hill side, nose into the air where the struts contacted the ground and it rested on two legs for several seconds before finally tipping over and resting on two legs and a wing. No damage sustained other than from the ejection.

Second less comical, but I simply sent a single orange tank fuel depot into space. Scratch design, second try(after the first blew up shortly after launch and extra duct tape was added) the tank got up there, final stage shut down with a periapsis at about 10km. Stage ejected to burn up on its own, a final nudge using very little fuel put the depot into orbit. It's just so satisfying when things work out so well without dozens of tries.

As for the "more to it" thing. There's a career mode planned eventually. Evidence is already sneaking in here and there, most obviously with the grayed out option when you start a new game.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm now attempting to create my own carrier.

The engine stage failed. Got to space, but as soon as the engines went off, the entire thing spontaneously exploded and fell apart.

how did you get to space without engines

teach me your ways, wizard

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp

Kanil, the reason your rover is highly unstable is because the wheels are too big. For a rover of that size, you want to use the tiny wheels.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nonsense. I just need to make it bigger.  :D

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So how does one go about getting a rover into space (only just got the update)? Do you just plonk it on the top of your rocket or is there some way of containing it in a box for protection or something?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

I do the former.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp

Plonk on rocket, deliver with skycrane.

Speaking of rovers, I have learned the limits of Buddy-Rover. Its max speed that it can travel at is ~20-21 m/S, as the wheels start to break at around this point.

Also, breaking/reversing while going at ~17 m/S down hill in translation mode causes it to flip and then proceed to break due to the high speeds.

YAY QUICKSAVING!
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

You supposedly can fix wheels in EVA.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 848