Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443937 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

For reference, the importance of Asparagus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en4n8fsKWXA

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp

Spoiler: Beep Beep Boop (click to show/hide)

Alright, update on Buddy-Rover. I basically spent most of yesterday getting it to the edge of the target crater and a bit of today getting it down a nightmare slope.

The slope wasn't as steep or defined as I thought it would be, which I suppose is a good thing.

My current plan with the rover is to send it to the target location to scout around the area a bit, seeing how hilly it is and so on. After that I plan to assemble a Muen base at the location.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 05:48:29 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp

Challenge accepted.

Alright, so I decided to pull through with driving Buddy-Rover, and I have finally reached the target location. At the top of a mountain, it sits with its breaks ever on, and it has become, the Muen's buddy.

My hypothesis about the crater is that Buddy-Rover sits on the central mound of a crater that formed from a impact inside the larger crater.

I should also note that the peak is surprisingly flat. I was planning on building the Muen base at the base of the central mound, but maybe I can try and build it on the top of the mound.

It's really hard to show how impressive the mountain/mound is with pictures. In the second image the rover is literally 9 pixels in size and you can barely see the full scope of the mound.

Spoiler: Scientific readings (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:16:05 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile

So, I got the game, built my first serious rocket.

Spoiler: The Result (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Better quality and less skype usernames
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:44:20 pm by HFS »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Got the core of my space station into orbit today. Sadly, that was the only thing that went right.

Multiple attempts to get a couple of orange fuel tanks and some scientific equipment up to the station ended in failure, all of them before the ship even left atmo. Whether they failed to leave the launch pad, overheated, or simply went kablooie when attempting a gravity turn, not a single ship made it above 30km.

Then I tried to go smaller: single-man rockets to practice docking. Couldn't even get within 20km of the station, despite my map and maneuvers assuring me that I'd end up within 4km or so.

Finally, I decided to give the Mun landing scenario a shot. First go: as the scenario loaded, the landing legs snapped off instantly despite being in stable orbit. Second go: Failed to slow down sufficiently. Jeb and Bill became stains on the Munar surface.

RAGE QUIT.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

DL'ed the new version yesterday. Been trying to get the feel again, with probes. Thank Kerbol for the probes! they saved so many lifes...
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, finally bought the game with Steam. Had a bit of hard time at first (until I understood orbits). I made a satellite in Earth's orbit, a manned mission around Earth, and managed to put a satellite in orbit of the moon !

This game is horribly chronophage.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

So I'm having a minor problem, and being unknowledgable in math, or any space-related things, I'm unsure how to do it.
I have a space station in orbit ready to be docked permanently with a lesser module. The new module is currently in a *very* similiar orbit to the current station, and has some fuel for manuevering in-orbit.

My problem is, both ships are going at the exact same speed and I don't know how to get them within distance of each other without completely destroying the current ship's orbit. Any help?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Make one have a slightly different orbit

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lowering orbit you decrease length of orbit to catch up the station and increasing lengthen it if target is behind.
No math really needed to do the burns, just don't over shoot it when getting again in same orbit as station to dock.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:36:55 am by Imofexios »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

So I'm having a minor problem, and being unknowledgable in math, or any space-related things, I'm unsure how to do it.
I have a space station in orbit ready to be docked permanently with a lesser module. The new module is currently in a *very* similiar orbit to the current station, and has some fuel for manuevering in-orbit.

My problem is, both ships are going at the exact same speed and I don't know how to get them within distance of each other without completely destroying the current ship's orbit. Any help?
Fun tip about orbital mechanics: if you want to go slower, speed up. If you want to go faster, slow down. See which craft has more fuel for maneuvers, and work from there.

If you choose the craft that needs to "catch up", wait till it's in the orbit's periapsis and do a little burn retrograde - that is, away from the target ahead of it. Might seem counterintuitive, but they're both orbiting the planet - and slowing down will make an orbit shorter. With every orbit around the planet, you will be closer to the target at the intersection point. Just fine-tune the final orbit so that you end up as close to the target as you need, and then equalize velocities again.

If you don't have enough altitude to lower an orbit, don't want to wait a few orbits to catch up, or just want to use the craft that is ahead of the other one, you can instead burn prograde with it at the periapsis. Select the other craft as target, and extend your orbit out until you get a near enough intersect.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

So, finally bought the game with Steam. Had a bit of hard time at first (until I understood orbits). I made a satellite in Kerbin's orbit, a manned mission around Kerbin, and managed to put a satellite in orbit of the mün !

This game is horribly chronophage.

FTFY.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

i think its the circle one.
or the other one.
one is the target's location now and the other is its momentum. i think.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Yellow circle with handlebars is your prograde marker - that's where you're going. Yellow circle with diagonal cross is your retrograde marker - that's away from where you're going. Purple rectangularish reticule is the target indicator - that's the direction your target is at. Purple diagonal cross reticule is the inverse target indicator - that's away from where your target is at.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

i think they come in pink...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 848