Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448085 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Indeed you waste more fuel by using airbreathers for so long than you'd spend running a couple of more powerful engines (or hell, solid fuel boosters) for shorter.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Thing is, I'm not using any real fuel to get up to 15km.  I've got 3 engines, each is JUST fuel, turbojet, and intake.  Comparable in size to SRB, but they consume so little fuel that I could take a 20 minute slow ascent to 15km and still just be running out of fuel.  Really, if you're able to match your weight against these little JATO modules, it's slow but you can effectively launch a ship from 15km.

The problem is the quirks of violent flameout on jets, when they hit ~16km they SUDDENLY shut off and the effect makes the rocket tumble, so you have to be careful and toss them out before then.  Otherwise, it's pretty awesome.  The ship is 67 tons on the pad, and around 17 tons in orbit, the vast bulk of that being fuel in orbit.  With the single nuclear engine, it could make it to the Mun and back maybe 2-3 times, just in case you wanted to run out there a few times.  Not to mention, probably easily make it to another planet if I could find a decent tool for measuring orbital insertions.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thing is, I'm not using any real fuel to get up to 15km.  I've got 3 engines, each is JUST fuel, turbojet, and intake.  Comparable in size to SRB, but they consume so little fuel that I could take a 20 minute slow ascent to 15km and still just be running out of fuel.  Really, if you're able to match your weight against these little JATO modules, it's slow but you can effectively launch a ship from 15km.

The problem is the quirks of violent flameout on jets, when they hit ~16km they SUDDENLY shut off and the effect makes the rocket tumble, so you have to be careful and toss them out before then.  Otherwise, it's pretty awesome.  The ship is 67 tons on the pad, and around 17 tons in orbit, the vast bulk of that being fuel in orbit.  With the single nuclear engine, it could make it to the Mun and back maybe 2-3 times, just in case you wanted to run out there a few times.  Not to mention, probably easily make it to another planet if I could find a decent tool for measuring orbital insertions.

I hear protractor is the perfect tool for the job
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Use mechjeb ascent function with everything deactivate exept auto-stage. And make sure each asparagus section are on their own stage and in order. It will do just that just jet them as soon they are empty, or on a timer depends on the delay you used.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile

Using jets for a rocket doesnt seem to work too well with super-heavy payloads, since it takes an awful lot of jets to get it off the ground.

It seems easier just to strap more conventional rockets onto your rocket even if it uses more fuel, its not like fuel is at a premium.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRh6d2zO4mQ
Behold, it works!

Also behold possibly the slowest ascent ever recorded.  So slow that it starts in reverse!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Behold, it works!

Also behold possibly the slowest ascent ever recorded.  So slow that it starts in reverse!
Excellent!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Updated video just now with captions, it helps to fill the boring time with reading my slander.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Very nice slideshow, girlinhat :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile

Behold, it works!

Congrats!

The fuel problems are caused by the way girders you use with decouplers. Both the decoupler and the girder segment are "fuel crosfeed capable". It generally doesn't change much if both the fuel line and decoupler are connected to the same tank in case of standard only decoupler design. But the girder segment in your craft id acting like another fuel line thus creating a fuel loop and so the fuel to some engines is flowing through all tanks draining the random tank it ends on. If you want to keep this design i think connecting fuel line from tank to girder and then from girder to another tank could solve the problem.

Also the jet engines are overrated, if you ditched the jets and just put Fl-T400 fuel tank on each of the asparagus stage, you would reach orbit with almost the same fuel and less starting mass (and probably less costly in kerbaldollars).

Cheers!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Girlinhat, if you used bicouplers to double both intakes and engines, I bet you could get a lot better speed out of the JATOs
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Girlinhat, if you used bicouplers to double both intakes and engines, I bet you could get a lot better speed out of the JATOs
I had an attempted rocket to use tricouplers, but the weight was too large to deal with.  You could -probably- get away with a single intake and 2 turbojets, though it's likely to flare out closer to 10km instead of 15km.

Hmm...  If I increase airflow, can they sustain higher?  Time to try and slap bicouplers and see if they'll function at 20km.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, 3 JATO Boosters with tricouplers on both intakes and engines on each of my 4 orange side tanks got my 400ton craft to actually hover(finally tipped over due to clipping the launch clamps :P), so I was thinking simply adding bicouplers to your craft should get decent performance increases :)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually, I modified it for tri-mounted turbojets and intakes, and it goes pretty fast.  Each engine has about 10 tons of lifting power, and my 75 ton ship with 18 of these, it shoots up pretty nicely, and at ~15km swap to rockets, the added startup speed means they save even more fuel.

When resource management becomes a thing, these tri-mount boosters are going to be incredible.  They may not be as purely powerful as other sources, but they are cheap, small, and provide reliable lift up to 15km.  I imagine a more 'spaceplane' setup could achieve greater speed around 10km cruising altitude, and release a rocket even closer to orbit.  After all, it would effectively have already done the gravity turn.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cool, but I now demand a video of this modded version in action :P
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 848