Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448475 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

If you want to look at a bit of silliness, here's me putting my Space Harrier through the Kerbin atmosphere at transsolar velocity. Five takes, for 50Km to 10Km perigee. This is with the FAR mod.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0rdq0b3224tgs8/KSP%202013-04-04%2019-00-16-741.avi

If nothing else, the flames and explosions are pretty. :P
(builtin Dropbox viewer shows terrible quality, download it for more comfortable viewing)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Speaking of mods, I tried out the SKLYON mod for this, seeing as I found that while searching KSP stuff.

I'm pretty damn sure the real thing doesn't have THAT much specific impulse. Not that I mind the silly atmospheric impulse, since that's kind of the idea. It's the silly impulse in vacuum that bothers me a bit.

Playing with it anyways, though. SSTOs are so much easier without flameouts :P

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

Remember folks, to deal with your high-altitude jet burnouts, always add a central jet engine, and add it LAST.

Jet engines all dip from the same common IntakeAir pool, and they each take the totality of what they need before the next placed engine gets any. So, placing a central jet last will have it burn out first, warning you about low air without throwing you into a spin.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Or if you're feeling like being funny, mount all your jets on the center axis. :D
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Or if you're feeling like being funny, mount all your jets on the center axis. :D
Or at least near it.

You may recall the 1680 m/s balloon-plane with two turbojets on a vertically-oriented bicoupler. Ah, those were the days. :P

Meanwhile, I'm totally going to make a space factory! Because who needs SSTOs when you can build giant things in space?

First I have to learn to dock, though. :V

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile

Remember folks, to deal with your high-altitude jet burnouts, always add a central jet engine, and add it LAST.

Jet engines all dip from the same common IntakeAir pool, and they each take the totality of what they need before the next placed engine gets any. So, placing a central jet last will have it burn out first, warning you about low air without throwing you into a spin.

Oh damn this explains so much, I will have to revisit some of my failed experiments.

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile

Yup:
Kerbin TWR 2 = Mun TWR 12

That's why you are finding such low values for TWR Nao: you are forgetting dividing by 0.166
Actually its the opposite. It's because the numbers are so low i try to tell people they are flying inefficient landers :D. Although it's more about the lack of smaller but efficient engines.
I actually tried ascents with a 30ton craft and one LV-N resulting in 2m/s^ acceleration = 1,25 Mun TWR and it worked as was calculated in the charts.

We could have a challenge to do a stock tourist mission to Mun! Bring 8 hitchhiker storage containers to the Mun surface and back to Kerbin. (Mk2-lander cans would be an same mass alternative). The lowest starting mass wins, jet engines not allowed for kerbin ascent, control and visual mods would be ok (mechjeb etc.)
I'll try doing this mission during the weekend. (Maybe ill post this challenge later on KSP forums =3)

Cheers!

edit:
SSTO's are hard :<
SSTOs aren't hard, you just have to make them a little silly.

This man is right (sorry for repost but if fits perfectly)An SSTO with more silly and less jets.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:26:54 pm by Nao »

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

Because I suck at using the orbit map and that ball thing, what would be a good landmark for orienting myself with the cardinal directions during takeoff?  Also, would it be better to go with the rotation of the planet, or go against it? 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

Because I suck at using the orbit map and that ball thing, what would be a good landmark for orienting myself with the cardinal directions during takeoff?  Also, would it be better to go with the rotation of the planet, or go against it?
Well, if you don't rotate your craft when designing it, turn to the right when you're ascending. Going east like this essentially gives you free velocity when you make it into orbit.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Well, if you don't rotate your craft when designing it, turn to the right when you're ascending. Going east like this essentially gives you free velocity when you make it into orbit.
In other words, tilt directly away from the VAB, towards the water. That moves against Kerbin's rotation.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Introducing my Hercules Tug, which I'm assembling in orbit as my interplanetary tug for moving things between orbits(not really interplanetary, but it WILL get to the mun and Minmus and back). Here it is with two out of 4 engine arms completed:

Edit: I've also created a reusable skycrane for ferrying things from  Mun/Minmus orbit to the surface. Does this have enough thrust to say, get a full orange tank there, or do I need more engines?

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:59:29 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Jeb's face... My god, what is he doing?!
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

.......Dunno lol.

Here's the completed tug+skycrane:

Now to create practical kethane mining rigs+storage tanks to ferry to Mimus....
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why do you have an ion engine on the back of a liquid fuel tank?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Nao
I am going out on a limb here, but i am pretty sure that adding more radial engines would make for at more efficient ascent, because only 20% of the fuel is going into gaining velocity, the rest is wasted on gravity drag.
If you post your craft, I'll try and fiddle around with it.
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 848