Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448756 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #5460 on: September 22, 2013, 02:10:29 am »

I love Minmus. The lack of gravity makes landings so light on fuel.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #5461 on: September 22, 2013, 02:22:32 am »

It also makes a surprisingly good staging point for further expeditions into the Kerbol system.

Which reminds me. The next time I send the Long Ranger there, imma equip it with a Kethane scanner.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: September 22, 2013, 02:29:48 am »

10 docked ships
...What kind of CPU do you have? o.O
My PC nearly died at 4 docked ships.
Choices, man. I don't expect to use them all at the same time.  :P
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: September 22, 2013, 12:48:25 pm »

Used the same design to land Jeb on Minmus. I really like this design, but I think the lander would need more fuel to return from another planet sadly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: September 22, 2013, 01:04:56 pm »

Heh. I've been working on a Minmus base myself. Seems Minmus is the most popular place to be right now. I can see why, it's currently my favourite place in the system! Between the small size and low gravity it makes RCS packs work really well.
I had a single Kerbal fly over 24km in a single run, just to drop of a KAS attachment, that is apparently broken in the new version. Gulp!
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: September 22, 2013, 02:11:25 pm »

I have struck the highest and most economically viable density of Kethane right on Minmus. The low gravity makes orbital transport a cakewalk and it is positioned just shy of the equator. It is also a great place to launch my expeditions to the outer kerbal system from.

Also, my current nuclear manned shuttle design, the Long Ranger has proven to be incredibly versatile. If I want to change it to a long-range explorer, all I have to do is stick another tank on the front and presto, enough delta V to get basically everywhere.

Gotta say, Minmus has really turned out to be a gold mine.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: September 22, 2013, 03:31:59 pm »

The 0.22 video looks cool, can't wait to play!
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: September 22, 2013, 05:57:42 pm »

Looking at the previous pages, I see these smallish rockets with like, 5 stages.
HOW DO YOU GET THAT TO OTHER PLANETS, I CAN BARELY GET TO THE MUN WITH LIKE, 10 STAGES, 4 OF WHICH HAVE MAINSAILS AND SOLID BOOSTERS.
Also, I figured out why none of my spaceplanes work.
I forget the control surfaces!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 06:20:42 pm by Facekillz058 »
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: September 22, 2013, 06:40:30 pm »

It's not about size, it's about efficiency.  What you want is high thrust to weight ration, and high delta v - both of these come from having as small a mass as possible.  The less your rocket weighs, the better.

TWR is literally how much power your rocket has compared to house much weight it has.  You can get better TWR by having larger engines and smaller mass.  TWR mostly matters on the surface, as it determines your liftoff capacity - anything below TWR 1.0 cannot lift itself.  In space, TWR roughly measures how fast you can accelerate.

Delta Velocity is "how much total m/s change you can achieve".  You increase your Dv by lowering your weight, carrying more fuel, or using more fuel-efficient engines.  Once you get to orbit, Dv becomes your biggest concern, as it determines how far you can travel.

For working spaceships, you really want a good TWR on the get-into-orbit stage, and a high Dv on the let's-go-to-another-planet stage.  That means Mainsails on the lifting stage - they have INCREDIBLE thrust, but burn a LOT of fuel to do so, giving them poor fuel economy but the raw muscle needed to escape gravity.  Once in space, transition to LV-T30's or LV-N's - these have a lower power, but use fuel much more efficiently and will get you further, the LV-N's especially are 'nuclear engines' that get INCREDIBLE distance.

If I were to suggest a simple 3-stage orbiter, it'd be a large orange tank with mainsail, a few solid boosters around it, and a LV-T30 or LV-N with a small tank.  REMEMBER that a VERY small craft with a nuclear or ion engine can actually get ridiculous distances!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: September 22, 2013, 07:07:31 pm »

did you just recommend ion engines

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: September 22, 2013, 07:10:52 pm »

For a probe, yes.  A single Xenon tank, 2 XL Solars, and a few Ions clustered around in some configuration can get GREAT TWR and Dv on very small probes.  For experimenting and learning, probes are great.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: September 22, 2013, 08:20:20 pm »

Thanks for that explanation of why nothing good has been happening for me, Girlinhat, :P
I'll try out what you suggested in 10 or so minutes, after a small break from Strut Simulator 2013

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: September 22, 2013, 08:30:09 pm »

did you just recommend ion engines
Ions are great for small craft.  Maybe not for planet to planet, but for adjusting orbits for satellites there is nothing better. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: September 22, 2013, 08:34:55 pm »

And if you have the time you can go planet to planet, or go and have fighters powered by them.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: September 22, 2013, 09:03:35 pm »

You can't open solar panels when out of electricity.
*Groaning as if in extreme pain*
Okay, second try, got a satellite to Minimus!
Which is to say, I've made 50x more progress than I have before.
Next up, either putting a lander on Minimus, or putting a Satellite around a different planet.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 09:19:10 pm by Facekillz058 »
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 848