Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448775 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

The only planet I've ever gotten to is Duna. But I did it in such an inefficient brute-force way that I'm pretty sure I could get to any planet using the same method.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

http://kerbaldevteam.tumblr.com/post/63470892950/new-milestone-reached-update-0-22-enters-experimental

Keep an eye on our Twitter and Facebook accounts to learn more about 0.22’s now impending release.

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD

SOMEONE KEEP AN EYE ON THIS

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

Dammit... Kay, I'm following them on twitter now...

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I played KSP for a bit and enjoyed it a bit.
After reading this thread though I installed a second wave of mods, including the warp mod.

...Now KSP is eating my life. I blame this thread entirely for showing me that darned mod.

Anyhow, I did take a crack at a space station design.
Spoiler: Screenshot! (click to show/hide)
All the modules have large docking rings at either end, except for the tug and dock type converter at the end of the lab.
Using that design means I can keep adding modules ad-hoc until I'm satisfied that the station can do everything possible in the game, or my computer grinds to a painful halt.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you planning on adding a mass cannon?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

So... mods.

With the release of .22 looming now, I've decided to get the two mods I felt would complement my playstyle the most. Infernal Robotics and Kethane, added to the new version of KAS.

With those, I decided to make a small mining operation on the Mun.

My first Kethane scanner looks a bit like a small killsat, but gets the job done.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kethane deposits are swiftly located, and the first mining ship sets out for the Mun. Due to budget constraints, the first mining ship is a hastily retrofitted Space Tug Four, sporting a pair of drills and a number of kethane tanks, plus processing equipment to fuel the return.

The new ship is rather heavier than the tug, so the orbital insertion stage gets a very Kerbal upgrade.

Jebediah is predictably ecstatic, and the trip to the Mun is fairly uneventful.

The landing in complete darkness, lit only by the landing lights, goes pretty smoothly, though it does take a few tries to land on a known patch of Kethane, and the surplus fuel is nonexistent. But what does that matter, we have Kethane! Right?

Er.

Turns out I somehow managed to install the Kethane drills the wrong side out. Whether or not that was the reason they refused to work is a mystery, but fact of the matter is that Jeb is now stranded on the Mun. Again.

Well, we shall not let something so trivial get in our way. The drill craft is updated, losing the extra side tanks and gaining a number of aft linear RCS ports to make better use of the tug's monopropellant supply.

Bill is rather less thrilled by the boosted pusher stage, but it gets him to the Mun nevertheless. The changing angle of approach necessitates an additional burn to bring the inclination of the landing trajectory up so that the new craft can land near Jebediah and rescue him.

The problem Bill is about to face is rather hard to make out on that screenshot, but a somewhat trained eye may spot the impending disaster in this one.

It took me a while to spot it as well. But it so happened that whatever amount of fuel was saved by not bringing extra empty tanks, was mercilessly eaten by a somewhat inefficient transfer, and that 100m/s inclination burn.

Bill is nearly exactly 100m/s of delta-V short of a landing.

Well... not much else to do here. Bill jumps out of the crash-bound spacecraft, and fires the jetpack thrusters for all they are worth. Turns out, they're worth quite a lot. After a quick brush with death in the form of the lip of a crater that briefly flashed past, close enough to be illuminated by the helmet lights, Bill comes to a long, skidding, tumbling stop on the crater's inner slope, some 20 kilometers away from Jeb's stranded craft. He's alive, but sans spacecraft.

It's now up to the third brother to finish the job, and perhaps get the first two home again.

Yeah. This'll be fun.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you planning on adding a mass cannon?
I wasn't. But maybe I should.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Keep it coming Sean, loving the story of disaster and exploration.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Keep it coming Sean, loving the story of disaster and exploration.
It's now shaping up to be more exploration than disaster, thankfully.

So, Bob.

That little purple blip you might notice in the crater is Jebediah and his ship. Initially Bob steered his mining ship towards him, but soon spotted a different blip.

Bill is still sitting in that crater with nothing but his suit. Jeb can wait.
Bob was never a master of the precision landing though.

17 kilometers to Jeb, 5 and change to Bill. Eh. Good enough.
The drills are deployed, during which we find out that the tug really can't sustain a mining operation. Its four solar arrays, even in full light, don't even provide enough power to run a single drill. Not indefinitely at least. But there is enough power storage that leaving the drills running for an hour or two won't be a problem.

Let's return to Bill. Having spotted the approaching lander, he immediately takes to the sky and starts making his way to it. Maybe there's something useful left in the wreckage. Surely it couldn't have successfully landed.

Yeah, it's still kind of a long trip, even five kilometers.

Pretty view from up here. Alright, almost there! I wonder how much fuel I got left?

...Crap.

Oh well. At least the lander is actually intact.

After a long and arduous journey on foot, Bill is finally at the lander. At which point yet another artifact of hasty retrofitting from a tug surfaces.

There is no longer anywhere to stand on after climbing up to the engine pods. And no new access ladder was installed.

Welp.

After an even longer, even more arduous journey, which involved smashing headfirst into one of the solar arrays, and getting Bob to raise the landing legs to make the hatch reachable via jumping...

Spoiler: Success! (click to show/hide)

Perfect. ...Except now the craft has even less power. *sigh*

A fairly large number of hours later, the craft is finally filled up, with fuel, monoprop, and Kethane all together. Time to rescue Jeb.

With fuel now being abundant, a more efficient "rocket up and straight down" approach is discarded in favor of the more entertaining "rocket hovercraft" method.

Spoiler: Efficiency be damned! (click to show/hide)

While the wasting of fuel is horrendous, you can't deny the results.

Hi, Jebediah! Look what we got, a working mining ship! Now we can load up on fuel, and...

You know, a rescue mission only works when you have at least as many empty seats as you have people in need of rescue.
Or at least a way to refuel the craft of the other guy.

Welp.

Meet the Mun Supply Delivery Probe.

(Yes, I managed a pinpoint-perfect landing right next to the other two craft. The probe having a great amount of fuel helped. The uneven mass distribution did not.)

So, what is the probe, then? The answer lies in the recent update to KAS. It has introduced Containers, and a set of new functions to regular old items. I shall explain soon.

Jebediah gets out of his craft and goes to check out the probe. He hauls the containers off to where they will be used.

First things first, he takes out two Pipe Connectors from one container, and links the two mining ships up.

Opening another container, he procures a set of replacement solar panels, and replaces Bob's ship's solar arrays that Bill so carelessly broke.

He then takes a command seat out of the third container and...
...sticks it on the probe. Because he's Jeb, and he's staying here.

Bill, on the other hand, has had a little too much adventure, and decides to leave on Jebediah's ship once it's properly refueled.

...he should probably be reminded of the meaning of the words "properly refueled".

Stay tuned for the next episode of the Kerman Brothers' Misadventures in Modded Space! :P

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

What is this mod that lets you install parts in the field?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

KAS, Kerbal Attachment System.

Used to be just winches and hooks and anchors, but now upgraded, with the developer of Kethane taking over the mod. You can now grab and attach any small part.

"Small part", includes batteries, RTGs, solar panels, pipes, struts, command seats, cubic strut trusses, RCS tanks, and rover wheels, among other things. This is... like, absolutely perfect for EVA activities. Resupply, repair... construction.

There is a game you're probably not aware of, called Moonbase Alpha. It's a free game by NASA.

With the new KAS, KSP is eerily similar to that. Sans timed precision welding puzzles.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 09:37:15 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

So, how much of a ship/rover could you build entirely through this 'small construction' then?  Are there any engines available?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

Oh god oh god oh god, that sounds far too good.

Damn you people and your awesome mods for awesome games! Gonna have to try it, but I'm waiting for 0.22.....

I actually have a rover that's stuck because he has no electricity to open the solar panels. All I'd need is to send one of those small solar panels that's already open.... aw man.

Let's just wait for 0.22..... Does anyone know how long stuff is usually in testing?

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is a game you're probably not aware of, called Moonbase Alpha. It's a free game by NASA.

* Canisaur looks up Moonbase Alpha.
* Canisaur is greeted by a "Your government is utterly inept, so this website is down" page.
* Canisaur sighs.
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 848