Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448259 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

People can work orbits without the map.  Hell, I was playing in the OLDEST versions, when people didn't even realize that Kerbin was round - it was a bit of a surprise when people realized that you can actually make orbit.  We had spreadsheets to determine the altitude and speed required to actually make an orbit and had to eyeball it.

THAT SAID it's very difficult and it has a bit of fun to it, in a sort of technical achievement similar to figuring out a particularly tricky math problem, but it's not really that much fun.  The extra math and information available via plugins is just so much easier.  Just because you CAN plan a Homman transfer by hand, doesn't mean that everyone is required to do so, or that everyone is even capable of doing so!

Even if I'm flying pure manual, I'll use mechjeb to plan a transfer burn and then perform it myself.  Changing inclination is also something very specific and better done by computer...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Exactly... I've done manual transfer orbits and docking and everything but it just gets old. In the end I am playing a game and we have computers that can plot these things.

tldr: I don't wash my clothes manually if I have a washing machine.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

People can work orbits without the map.  Hell, I was playing in the OLDEST versions, when people didn't even realize that Kerbin was round - it was a bit of a surprise when people realized that you can actually make orbit.  We had spreadsheets to determine the altitude and speed required to actually make an orbit and had to eyeball it.

good times. I remember having to do the math for hoffman transfers then pointing an alarm because we had no warp.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

One thing that looks a little disappointing in .22 is the fact that aircraft parts seem to come after rockets, when it might be more fun to explore those first. But I suppose that spaceplanes only appeared after traditional rockets.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Yea that seems disappointing.  Yea spaceplanes came after rockets, but didn't conventional planes come before rockets?  At least ones meant for outer space anyway.

It seems that there would be science worth gaining to get a standard plane to a high altitude for a period of time even before you start toying around with rockets.  But I guess these are kerbals, they don't quite have all their marbles.

I'm sure some helpful modder will add in some low tech jet engines and wings for that though.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's Kerbal Space Program, not Kerbal Aeronautics Association D:

If you have a single rocket engine available, and give the players a single jet engine, you already have spaceplanes.  The only way to have planes without spaceplanes would be to have no rockets available, which would be counter-intuitive to the point of the game, which is 'get in a rocket and scream'.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Yea I guess this isn't National Aeronautics and Space Association Administration, it's just Kerbal Space Program.

Kerbal Aeronautics Association is probably that place on the island southeast of the space center.

Still I like the planes better than the rockets.  Rockets are mostly just "Point correct end towards space, If it doesn't reach orbit add more fuel or engines."  Spaceplanes are far more complex and enjoyable in my eyes.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 01:13:53 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Yea I guess this isn't National Aeronautics and Space Association Administration, it's just Kerbal Space Program.

Kerbal Aeronautics Association is probably that place on the island southeast of the space center.

Still I like the planes better than the rockets.  Rockets are mostly just "Point correct end towards space, If it doesn't reach orbit add more fuel or engines."  Spaceplanes are far more complex and enjoyable in my eyes.
Then again, contrary to popular at this forum, the point of a difficulty curve is not to start at high end.

As a side note, I ended up eyeballing my lunar orbit. Ended up lower than expected. I really hope there're no 8 km mountains on the Mun.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As a side note, I ended up eyeballing my lunar orbit. Ended up lower than expected. I really hope there're no 8 km mountains on the Mun.
Quote from: wiki
The Mun's highest points reach a maximum altitude of more than 7061 m near the south pole at 152.33° W and 82.52° S. This altitude permits 10× warp, allowing crashes with terrain while being in a seemingly stable orbit.
Just what is your orbital height again, exactly?

I usually do 10km flyby gravity boosts, it gets pretty close...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

8200 equatorial orbit.

And yeah, the ground gets awfully close. It drains the sattelites batteries.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

good times. I remember having to do the math for hoffman transfers then pointing an alarm because we had no warp.
I remember one of the oldest versions I played. I managed to crash into the Mun with only the oldest map, before the interceptions showed up or manoeuver nodes were implemented. Just eyeballing the angle of intersection and the time of burn. Good times.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Questionable at best.  The date posted may have been the date from a different time zone that was misplaced one day ahead.  I'm hopeful as well, just not optimistic.

ahappydude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Steam is getting f***** today haha :O
Well we can hope. __:J
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 848