Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443866 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I'd like to see some of the sub-ton probes and rovers, actually...

Let me get home and I'll pm some screenshots
Just post 'em on thread, I'm sure many of us would like to see some very small crafts that actually function.  In particular, I've always liked the idea of rovers but been unable to find much use for them, and my very small probes can never go very far.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

Let me get home and I'll pm some screenshots
Just post 'em on thread, I'm sure many of us would like to see some very small crafts that actually function.  In particular, I've always liked the idea of rovers but been unable to find much use for them, and my very small probes can never go very far.

Agreed, I also find light probes interesting and would like to see them. Plus, the thread could always use more pictures of rockets.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

I think I ran out of Science sources. :x I'm only at like General Rocketry and Survivability (roughly second or third layer in the tree), and I think I ran out of things to do. Doing the goo experiments again don't give me more science :c

Build a bigger rocket, go to different places. Being close to a different celestial body will yield more science points for the same actions.
The problem is I don't seem to have enough science points to buy parts for bigger rockets :C

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you have fuel lines?  If so, asparagus will get you surprisingly far.

If not, use liquid boosters - position them like you'd use SRB, but use proper rockets instead.  If you do 6-way symmetry and only fire them in pairs, you can extend your lifting stage.  Upper stages can use the 909 for better fuel economy on the long haul.

A few easy science points
Minmus Landing (easier than Mun, actually)
Solar Orbit right outside Kerbin SOI (target Kerbin and burn directly towards target for a simple return trajectory)
Other places on Kerbin (been to the poles yet?)
The Same Places (lower returns, but you can re-science them!)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I ran out of Science sources. :x I'm only at like General Rocketry and Survivability (roughly second or third layer in the tree), and I think I ran out of things to do. Doing the goo experiments again don't give me more science :c

Build a bigger rocket, go to different places. Being close to a different celestial body will yield more science points for the same actions.
The problem is I don't seem to have enough science points to buy parts for bigger rockets :C

Just go back to the Mun and Minmus, they likely have oodles of science left.
Did you get science from high orbit, low orbit and ground on both moons?
Did you get science and surface samples from every biome on the Mun?
Did you ever go to the Mun yet?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

How do you find out the different biomes? And where they are?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eyeball it mostly.  Planting flags helps track your progress.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Also, just repeating the obvious, but remember that EVA can also be used for science.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

And crew report. Don't forget to bring new experiments to old places!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1 ton or less in a probe is difficult. Even without RCS/rockets and with just parachutes for atmospheric landing and all science equipment the probe will top 1 ton. You need specialized probes and/or a tug to toss it on to and off of the surface.

1 ton hunk of metal
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
sub 2 ton capable of de-orbiting and docking
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Also, just repeating the obvious, but remember that EVA can also be used for science.
o.o

I never thought of that...

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

uhh

i'm unsure of whenever i can reproduce this, but while conducting orbital transfers in eva i've managed to slow down to 0.0m/s and was offered the option to take a soil sample of the void and plant a flag on it for a split second (before gravity started working again)

if you ask why i were conducting orbital transfers in eva, easy - crew transfer from craft in high kerbal orbit to another in minmus orbit

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

The thing is, I don't have the equipment for even getting into low earth orbit yet <_< No side couplers, only have short fat fuel tanks, no probes, no science stuff other than the goo, no nothing D: I barely have 4 techs researched.

I do think I could manage to barely get into LEO and promptly be stranded with no way to go back, but it'll be a struggle without all the niceties one gets used to in sandbox mode :P

I found that getting into EVA on the launch pad and collecting samples from the pad, runway, ground, and ocean also gives you some science , but it's really tedious to start a mission, walk in EVA all the way to a site, and trudge back to the pod, repeatedly.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The thing is, I don't have the equipment for even getting into low earth orbit yet <_< No side couplers, only have short fat fuel tanks, no probes, no science stuff other than the goo, no nothing D: I barely have 4 techs researched.

I do think I could manage to barely get into LEO and promptly be stranded with no way to go back, but it'll be a struggle without all the niceties one gets used to in sandbox mode :P

I found that getting into EVA on the launch pad and collecting samples from the pad, runway, ground, and ocean also gives you some science , but it's really tedious to start a mission, walk in EVA all the way to a site, and trudge back to the pod, repeatedly.

you need to purposefully overheat stuff as a means of decoupling

consider a six-tank monstrosity of a main stage strapped to seven boosters at the bottom (one directly, six in symmetry with the first one)

once the boosters are starting to run out fire the liquid engine (you brought one, didn't you?) and simply overheat the booster below it. e-z decoupler, yo.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're still thinking in terms of Earth.  This is the basis of your problem.
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 848