Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448761 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The thing is, I don't have the equipment for even getting into low earth orbit yet <_<
Please:P

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNXTFj3ozNY
Basic parts only going to Minmus and the Mun.

sniped

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Even if you don't have scott manley skills, you can do space science when suborbital, as long as you can crawl across that 70km limit for even a few seconds, you can get some decent science to start off with.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Even if you don't have scott manley skills, you can do space science when suborbital, as long as you can crawl across that 70km limit for even a few seconds, you can get some decent science to start off with.
Strictly speaking, I believe that's a ballistic trajectory, which can net you surprisingly lot of science.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

In early game I found it pretty good to do flybys of the moons and using their gravity to put myself into aerobraking with Kerbin.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

Even if you really don't want to actually put forth much effort, you can strap a single SRB to a crew pod and parachute and fly straight up and do a crew report at the top and you'll get more than enough to get the first research. From there you should be perfectly capable of getting to orbit.
Nothing important here, move along.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a problem.

I don't know how to use the goddamn parachutes.

I need to get the speed for the pods to (I think) 80 for the parachutes to deploy without breaking off, but I can't seem to get it to drop below 90 m/s no matter what I do.

Help!

I'm losing so many crewmembers and so much science in the last few seconds of an otherwise awesome trip. T_T

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I have a problem.

I need to get the speed for the pods to (I think) 80 for the parachutes to deploy without breaking off, but I can't seem to get it to drop below 90 m/s no matter what I do.

Help!

I'm losing so many crewmembers and so much science in the last few seconds of an otherwise awesome trip. T_T
Use more/bigger chutes.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

Parachutes can deploy at over 100 m/s safely, unless you're trying to stop an entire space station. Or are using time warp.
Nothing important here, move along.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a problem.

Help!

you need a radial parachute per ton of mass you want to bring down to a half-decent terminal velocity, if you need to land more than 10 tons bring a small engine with a bit of fuel to do a hybrid landing or just toss more radials on it and some drogue chutes

this assumes kerbin

space kraken help you if you're trying to use chutes on duna

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it's just a pod, you can do a solar orbit slamming into the atmosphere at 6km/s - deploy the single top chute EARLY so it'll drag for a long time.  You'll bleed a lot of speed in upper atmos, the thin chute will slow you down, and at 500m it'll open.

If using more, it still helps to deploy the chutes early, as they work some even at high altitude.  If you're smart, you can also line up some hardware assisted landings, including such safety measures as a single decoupler on the bottom of your craft to explode when you touchdown.  If you have a small engine and small fuel tank, you can bleed a lot of speed at ~250m and keep it attached, as it'll provide a HAL and the science should survive.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Parachutes can deploy at over 100 m/s safely, unless you're trying to stop an entire space station. Or are using time warp.
Single pod, three parachutes, 90 m/s. Parachutes fail the moment they fully open, result: death. So... not true, as far as I can tell.

Wait... time warp... time warp? What result would time warp have on this? Why would that matter?

If it's just a pod, you can do a solar orbit slamming into the atmosphere at 6km/s - deploy the single top chute EARLY so it'll drag for a long time.  You'll bleed a lot of speed in upper atmos, the thin chute will slow you down, and at 500m it'll open.
How early should I open it? As soon as the fire stops? After the "air effect" bit?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

ok, here some ugly stuff, consider that I previously used a 100t lander so it is a huge improvement for me, even if not as minimal or pretty as the Manley stuff.

mechjeb is just to show stats

on a 1t payload, getting things in space is really easy

that ship weight as much as most of my previous style payloads. I still have a lifter around that can ship 100t to orbit, imagine combining those two. would probably be able to do a grand tour with ease.
change cones for a chute and legs and can almost return from eve  :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Single pod, three parachutes, 90 m/s. Parachutes fail the moment they fully open, result: death. So... not true, as far as I can tell.

Wait... time warp... time warp? What result would time warp have on this? Why would that matter?

How early should I open it? As soon as the fire stops? After the "air effect" bit?
Time warp just guestimates physics.  It will EASILY rip apart very stable crafts, especially in atmos.  Like, really.  There's two types of time warp, regular for in space, and physwarp, where it tries to enforce physics, while in atmosphere or accelerating.  Physwarp should ONLY be used for hour long burns on tiny ion probes.  If you EVER use it on a real craft, it'll pretty much destroy it.

Deploy your chutes in deep space.  With the current deal with re-entry not causing damage, I've never seen a single pod and chute take damage at any speed.  Or a single pod, chute, and science jr.  Deploy them WAY before you get into atmos.  The whole idea, is that you want as many forces as possible decelerating you for as long as possible.  So those chutes stay open.

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Time warp just guestimates physics.  It will EASILY rip apart very stable crafts, especially in atmos.  Like, really.  There's two types of time warp, regular for in space, and physwarp, where it tries to enforce physics, while in atmosphere or accelerating.  Physwarp should ONLY be used for hour long burns on tiny ion probes.  If you EVER use it on a real craft, it'll pretty much destroy it.

Deploy your chutes in deep space.  With the current deal with re-entry not causing damage, I've never seen a single pod and chute take damage at any speed.  Or a single pod, chute, and science jr.  Deploy them WAY before you get into atmos.  The whole idea, is that you want as many forces as possible decelerating you for as long as possible.  So those chutes stay open.

And for that matter, even if you're not warping, KSP might still be doing less accurate physics calcs if it's lagging for other reasons.  If your mission timer is yellow or red, it's doing less accurate physics calcs.
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 848