Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448383 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

Made it to the Mun and back. I think I understand how it works now.
Nothing important here, move along.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

So, didn't have enough fuel to get my Sun station out of Kerbin orbit, but then I remembered I had waaay too much monopropellant. RCS'd my my into an encounter with the moon and was flung out of there.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I threw a core part of an interplanetary craft into orbit, mostly just a long truss spine with a large pod on the end. surprising how far staged large boosters will get you. even when initially set up poorly and requiring mid flight stage rearrangement.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

I have made a airplane and had one failed attempt to reach the north pole.

But, I realized that there is no rule that says I can't put fuel tanks on the wings and drop them when they are empty for some extra distance.  In fact I can't think of where I got the idea of that I couldn't drop anything.

After that I was more successful and landed on the north ice cap and took some samples and science.

Afterwards Inoticed that my plane was still too heavy to take off without a ramp or dip, but Jeb wanted to go see Santa.  I had to burn some fuel to lose weight, doing that made me realize something.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The ice cap is completely flat and I can drive along the ground at high speed, even under time acceleration, without exploding.   Jet powered sleigh go!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

I have made a airplane and had one failed attempt to reach the north pole.

But, I realized that there is no rule that says I can't put fuel tanks on the wings and drop them when they are empty for some extra distance.  In fact I can't think of where I got the idea of that I couldn't drop anything.

After that I was more successful and landed on the north ice cap and took some samples and science.

Afterwards Inoticed that my plane was still too heavy to take off without a ramp or dip, but Jeb wanted to go see Santa.  I had to burn some fuel to lose weight, doing that made me realize something.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The ice cap is completely flat and I can drive along the ground at high speed, even under time acceleration, without exploding.   Jet powered sleigh go!
What would happen if you deploy the parachutes and cut off the air intakes at the exact same time when traveling at that speed on the ground?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Probably an explosion :P 

I already recovered the vessel after exhausting available science (and disappointing Jeb when we reached our destination). I wouldn't be able to easily cut the air intakes anyway, as this plane was never intended to try to transition to space so I never set up a close intakes key.

All the parachutes were linked to the abort button, but it never struck me to see what happens when you deploy 4 wing mounted radial parachutes while traveling over 500 miles per hour on the ground.  My guess is that in the best case all the wings would just be ripped off.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 10:18:34 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rover wheels pop at far slower speeds than that, unfortunately. I know. I tried with another large rover. It was built to hold some fuel for transfer so I said to myself, "throw some rocket engines on back and let us try for a land speed record."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Rover wheels pop at far slower speeds than that, unfortunately. I know. I tried with another large rover. It was built to hold some fuel for transfer so I said to myself, "throw some rocket engines on back and let us try for a land speed record."
Who puts rover wheels on a plane?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Who puts rover wheels on a plane?
Spoiler: Counter-argument one (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Counter-argument two (click to show/hide)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

HOW?!

Every time I try to make a plane, I get it to lift off, and then it starts fluttering in the wind like a leaf, completely uncontrollable. I have the center of lift matched up with the center of mass, added a zillion control surfaces in all possible directions, and it still flies like shit.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

It's hard to provide general advice as I've no idea what exactly you are doing wrong. Post a pic of something that fails and I can tell you how to improve it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

HOW?!

Every time I try to make a plane, I get it to lift off, and then it starts fluttering in the wind like a leaf, completely uncontrollable. I have the center of lift matched up with the center of mass, added a zillion control surfaces in all possible directions, and it still flies like shit.
Make it heavier. The heavier it is the less precision is needed.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

HOW?!

Make it heavier. The heavier it is the less precision is needed.
"You know what this plane needs? Lead ballast, and more rockets! Its way too light to fly." -Jeb

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

It's hard to provide general advice as I've no idea what exactly you are doing wrong. Post a pic of something that fails and I can tell you how to improve it.
Will do. I started with basically just a Mk1 cockpit, an air intake, two jet fuel canisters, basic jet engine, a few wings+control surfaces, and landing gears.

Ninja-edit: Ahhh, maybe it was just too light? I'll try making it BIGGER.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 848