Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448437 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #6960 on: November 05, 2013, 07:00:17 pm »

Erm, you do know that you can reuse a thermometer after transmitting the measurement, right?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #6961 on: November 05, 2013, 07:04:32 pm »

At penalty for transmission, though. Or was that the barometer?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6962 on: November 05, 2013, 07:04:44 pm »

Yes, but for those of us who have taken the no-transmission challenge (which I get the feeling so far is only me) then you'll know the bane of having to visit a place over and again to milk it of all its delicious science because it's really hard to safely and easily transport more than one Science Jr. anywhere when you're still using 1m parts to take off and parachutes to land.
Nothing important here, move along.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6963 on: November 06, 2013, 03:53:20 am »

I've set myself the rule of not doing repeat transmissions of the same data, but I really like robotic missions.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6964 on: November 06, 2013, 05:40:24 am »

The "no infinite experiment repeats" sound like they're going to make science a lot more painful to happen. No more queueing up dozens of transmissions simultaneously while passing through high atmosphere. Also, no more gathering science from multiple sciomes with the same vessel :(

Actually, it sounds like instead of repeatedly transmitting from 1 biome, you will be able to gather multiple biome experiments with 1 vessel as long as you collect and store with EVA. Much better then repeatedly mounting slightly different missions to the same planet.

Take for example a Science Jr, and land it on Eve. If you bring an antenna and a solar panel, you can get 20 transmissions each from Kerbin's surface, low/high Kerbin atmosphere, low/high Kerbin orbit, high over the sun, high/low Eve orbit, high/low Eve atmosphere and Eve's surface. That is a fuckton of science you get there: around 1900, using just the Science Jr.. I unlocked almost the entire tech tree in only six missions (landing pad sample, Mun orbit/return, Mun landing/landing/return, Minmus landing/return, a Moho orbit and an Eve landing), and I don't see how that's grindy at all, since I don't really need to go to the same place twice. Now imagine how much science I would not be able to gather at once if the science modules weren't infinitely resettable (or at least not without the occasional EVA). I couldn't do the atmosphere samples, I'd need to EVA a few times in every other sciome, and the science I'd get from Moho or Eve would be further decimated because I can't return the science completely. This would essentially mean that I wouldn't get enough science on the first trip to the planets, necessitating second and third trips just to get enough science to unlock the necessary parts for the fourth and fifth trips. I really don't see how that's better than before.

I don't think you are getting how broken the current system is.
Right now, there is NO reason ever to return anything, you can just spam transmission, and suck up all the science from whereever.
This leads to stupid stuff like 5000 science with only a few parts unlocked.
I want to stress that there is NO penalty to transmission, you just have to do it a bunch of times over and over.

I have yet to meet a person that thinks it fun to spam transmit on 6 different science modules, 20 times during a mission.

The new system will make it so there is a portion of science reserved for bringing it back to Kerbin. That way you can still transmit science, but there will be a reason to make a return craft.

To fix the system for myself, I don't allow transmission of anything but crew reports(which is intended to be transmitted), and tiny bits a science like 3 science from a goo container.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 05:46:18 am by ank »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6965 on: November 06, 2013, 05:47:35 am »

Your quote tags are broken, so I can't see where the post you quote ends and yours begins.

edit: okay, so text order was broken as well. The paragraph below is now redundant.

Spoiler: Now redundant (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 05:49:22 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6966 on: November 06, 2013, 05:48:06 am »

Ninja fixed!

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6967 on: November 06, 2013, 05:50:32 am »

I think that a surface sample should not be transmittable at all, since half the fun of getting a surface sample should be the challenge of getting it back to Kerbin.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6968 on: November 06, 2013, 05:54:04 am »

No, it should still be transmittable, a little. "The soil is gray, mushy, has the consistency of pudding, but tastes awful" is still basic observational data, that an average Kerbal would be able to relay by radio as well as he can an EVA report - the difference being that he can't actually analyze the sample, just describe it. So you get only a small return from it.

But if he brings it to the new Lab module...

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6969 on: November 06, 2013, 06:31:19 am »

From the info they've given, I think that the lab module will probably be the size of an orange tank or so. Which is pretty cool anyway.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6970 on: November 06, 2013, 06:39:56 am »

From the screenshot they've given, it's about the size of two Hitchhikers mashed together. Maybe less.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6971 on: November 06, 2013, 06:43:03 am »

Somehow I didn't realize that was the lab. So that's half an orange tank.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6972 on: November 06, 2013, 06:47:40 am »

I'm pretty sure it will be remodeled too.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6973 on: November 06, 2013, 06:53:21 am »

Somehow I didn't realize that was the lab. So that's half an orange tank.
Yeah. With the rest of the science stuff being reasonably heavy, I'd expect at least four-five tons in the Lab. A bit of a hefty thing to bring along, but utterly indispensable for places like Eve where getting samples back is incredibly hard. You'd still have to get the kerbal back of course, but that is at least doable.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6974 on: November 06, 2013, 01:25:08 pm »

This makes me want to design a new mega-rover around a science module to scout Eve and Duna.

I still haven't gotten to Jool orbit, though. I got a redesigned lander and IPD up, but I'm busy with a test flight around the Mun. Located a Kethane deposit worth throwing Jeb at, and I'm going to find out how much potential fuel I can taxi back up to the IPD. Which is going to be important for this mission.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 848