Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448814 times)

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7305 on: November 15, 2013, 03:20:40 pm »

But once a computer recieves a program to execute, it HAS the program, it doesn't need to keep receiving it.
Well yeah, of course.  It just has to receive it at the speed of light, which can take minutes.

You also can set delays in the program, so that it will initiate when you need it to.  At least that's how it did it back in version 1.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7306 on: November 15, 2013, 03:34:57 pm »

only probe are effected by delay

if you set command to the computer, command aren't uploaded until the delay has passed.

then they happen at the right time.
Do these occur while a ship is not in physics and loaded and stuff?  Like, can I command my fuel hauler to go into orbit around Jool, and then spend my attention getting my kerbals through a different orbit to Jool?  So, when they arrive, the fuel tank will be there to assist...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: November 15, 2013, 03:36:45 pm »

no. I think there is a mod that doesn't unload the ship, it is called lazors or something but I couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

(same problem with the autopilot mod - kos: ships unload and then game over)

please also note that remote tech + ferram = fail, for whatever the reason

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: November 15, 2013, 03:37:28 pm »

Oh crap. My ship is on a collision course with Laythe, and it's coming in on the night side, so my solar sails are useless.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is there any way I might spare some of these poor Kerbals?

EDIT: Nope, the entire staff was wiped out in a single mission:

Spoiler: The results (click to show/hide)

At least Jeb was happy.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:43:02 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: November 15, 2013, 03:43:15 pm »

No.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: November 15, 2013, 03:45:44 pm »

I guess you could hope to aerobrake in time. Also that appears to be exactly the correct direction to be burning in.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: November 15, 2013, 05:31:22 pm »

It wasn't a matter of Aerobraking, I needed to go faster, since my path was tangent to the surface. As per my edit of the last post, though, it seems I did not have enough fuel. My orbit was almost 180 degrees to Laythe's, so I plowed into it at 67 km/s.

'Twas a sad day in Kerbal history, nearly 40 wiped out in an instant.

Anyone else have a bigger (accidental) death toll?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: November 15, 2013, 05:40:55 pm »

It wasn't a matter of Aerobraking, I needed to go faster, since my path was tangent to the surface. As per my edit of the last post, though, it seems I did not have enough fuel. My orbit was almost 180 degrees to Laythe's, so I plowed into it at 67 km/s.

Anyone else have a bigger (accidental) death toll?

That's the most I've ever heard of. The most I've lost was 11, when I accidentally de-orbited a space station by messing up with pressing buttons.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: November 15, 2013, 07:47:34 pm »

a bit OT, but reminds me of this:  http://watergate.info/1969/07/20/an-undelivered-nixon-speech.html

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: November 15, 2013, 08:08:12 pm »

Perhaps:

"Fate has ordained that the Kerbals who went to Jool to explore in peace will stay in Laythe's mantle to rest in pieces."

I'm not sure of the math, but a 68 ton ship impacting at 67 kilometers per second probably makes a fairly big boom.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: November 15, 2013, 08:23:23 pm »

I'm not sure of the math, but a 68 ton ship impacting at 67 kilometers per second probably makes a fairly big boom.

http://www.purdue.edu/impactearth/

And this one isnt are pretty, but does offer other targets besides earth:  http://janus.astro.umd.edu/astro/impact/

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: November 15, 2013, 09:53:54 pm »

Impact for mercury, the smallest body for which the program has results, releases the equivalent energy of 2KT of TNT. With Laythe's atmosphere probably ablating the fuck out of the craft, I'd say my poor Kerbonauts still would have gone out with a considerable bang.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: November 15, 2013, 11:15:26 pm »

Here's what I used to stick 36 Kerbals around Jool.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Awesome colony ship, It's a shame about the accident :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: November 15, 2013, 11:21:02 pm »

so for anyone following this thread and just playing the demo, the game is 40% off on steam for the weekend.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/220200/

I was just fooling about with the demo and mods for the longest time, finally took the plunge and bought in sometime around last xmas.  TOTALLY WORTH IT.  the new mods are amazing, the research and astronaut management systems are a blast.  I only hire the stupid ones.  I have to say, it's much more fun only having access to very limited parts and having to really work for access to more parts.

I dread when they implement a budget, but I'm sure that will be even more fun when they do.  Takes me back to playing this thing:  http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/games/details.php%3FID%3D2002

Or, you know, it would take me back to that if they implemented the budget and projects and such.
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 848