Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443942 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7395 on: November 21, 2013, 12:37:16 am »

When the two ends of a strut become separate items (staging, or breaking off) then the strut disappears.  Additionally, struts are purely visual, there is no actual collision mesh on them.

..... Really?
This saves me heaps of time since now I won't have to put decouplers everywhere and manually put them into the right stage whenever i make a rocket which needs struts between stages.

Also if your rocket hits the launch clamps you could put beams between your rocket and the struts, or just make your own launch tower out of struts radial decouplers and beams, which you anchor to the ground with actual launch clamps.
It's what I always did for stability in the demo when i had no clamps.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7396 on: November 21, 2013, 01:10:08 am »

Also if your rocket hits the launch clamps you could put beams between your rocket and the struts, or just make your own launch tower out of struts radial decouplers and beams, which you anchor to the ground with actual launch clamps.
It's what I always did for stability in the demo when i had no clamps.

I tried stacking a bunch of the thick(? whatever the ones that protrude on a big frame are...) radial decouplers to make an extension away from the rocket before reaching the clamp, but man was it a disaster.  Not stable at all, and led to worse damage than if I had taken a chance on the lower stage whacking the clamp.

but man, now that I know I can use struts like that, all bets are off.  I was wondering WTF those I-beams were for, I couldn't imagine any practical use for them given their weight.  Now I know!!!

I'm not sure which version this was added in, but saving subsection templates is really a godsend for stuff like this.  it used to be each rocket was a bespoke creation, now I can re-use entire stages. or, in this case, I can build a stabilization tower and re-use it on different sides of the same rocket.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7397 on: November 21, 2013, 01:11:38 am »

It was the latest major update that added subassemblies.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7398 on: November 21, 2013, 02:17:58 am »

The Kethane mod parts look fine. It's the ore/metal mining parts from the EXP-Launchpads that look terrible. The launchpad looks fine, it's just these:

It's been a while since I've used EL, but the green bin is just for material storage, right? I'm looking at the mod I linked, and it should have the capacity to store EL materials. I don't know any replacement for the ugly smelter, though.
*Yes, there is a 64-bit build for Linux, but it crashes constantly.  I use Linux myself and I still run the 32-bit build because it's that bad.
I use the 64-bit version, and it is rock solid. Have you used the bit-patch?

Err, no?  I've never heard of anything, and Google fails me.  Do you have a link or something?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it, I think.  The original thread that he posted it in died with the KSP forum crash, but I think I found the code.
Just to be sure, I was talking about this patch. Fixes some 32bit references or something like that.

@everyone else: You really ought to check bargain rocket parts out. Believe me, it's pretty fantastic.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7399 on: November 21, 2013, 05:25:43 am »

@everyone else: You really ought to check bargain rocket parts out. Believe me, it's pretty fantastic.

I just came here to say that. It Is Glorious.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7400 on: November 21, 2013, 06:49:05 am »

I have come to say, that with the completion of my compressed air powered plane, I have done just about everything you can do without leaving Kerbin.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7401 on: November 21, 2013, 01:33:52 pm »

Just to be sure, I was talking about this patch. Fixes some 32bit references or something like that.

Thanks, yeah.  I tried it and it seems to have helped, but I haven't had time to play more than a couple minutes yet.

That mod reminds me of Psychonauts for some reason  :P

EDIT: Figures.  I go make the rounds grabbing updates for my mods, and apparently the Near Future pack removed its download because he's using some of the code from the guy who wrote Kethane.  Really, people?  This is one of the reasons I stopped writing Minecraft mods.  Nobody's making any money here.  If someone was using large chunks of my code, I'd feel honored that other people felt my code was worth using as a template.

Stop waving your e-peen around and go back to improving Kethane.  The idea here is to make the game more fun for everyone, not play copyright troll.

/rant
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 02:02:06 pm by Canisaur »

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7402 on: November 21, 2013, 03:26:05 pm »

EDIT: Figures.  I go make the rounds grabbing updates for my mods, and apparently the Near Future pack removed its download because he's using some of the code from the guy who wrote Kethane.  Really, people?  This is one of the reasons I stopped writing Minecraft mods.  Nobody's making any money here.  If someone was using large chunks of my code, I'd feel honored that other people felt my code was worth using as a template.
Well, the dropbox link for Near Future is here still. Have fun!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7403 on: November 21, 2013, 03:53:11 pm »

Figures.  I go make the rounds grabbing updates for my mods, and apparently the Near Future pack removed its download because he's using some of the code from the guy who wrote Kethane.  Really, people?
Uuuugh. Sometimes I would really like to be able to mind-control people. Not for long. Something like 5 minutes at a time. But if I could I would take every modder on either side of an issue like that and have the aggressor post a long apology, and the victim create a shitton of backup links for when the mind control wears off.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7404 on: November 21, 2013, 03:55:09 pm »

Ah, thanks!  You, sir, are a lifesaver.  May your beard strangle many elves, or something.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7405 on: November 21, 2013, 08:51:05 pm »

To those who suggested using the B9 Lowered textures: It worked, thank you.
Granted now I can't find anything FROM B9....do their parts only appear with spaceplanes? If so that is silly.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7406 on: November 21, 2013, 11:13:39 pm »

EDIT: Actually it can use something near 4 GB, not 2 GB.  My mistake.  So I guess six gigs total would give you 2 GB for anything else while using 4 GB for KSP.  Anything more than that is extra.
Do you have test data for this? Because it's either 2 or around 3.5, depending on whether it has the LAA flag set on the executable. If it only uses 2, you may be able to increase that to around 3.5 by doing some hacking on the .exe to try turning on the LAA flag. You can find instructions for doing such with a simple google. The only reason this could fail to put it up to 3.5 would be some low-level bithacks in the pointer code that Unity is built with; which would just result in a crash, or at worse some save corruption (so needless to say, backup your folder before doing so).

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7407 on: November 22, 2013, 10:27:39 am »

No test data personally, no.  I was going off of various posts on the KSP forums.  Some people claim the game's RAM usage has gone up to 5 GB or higher, but I don't see how that's possible unless Windows counts cached files as part of a process' memory usage or something.

I'm pretty sure the LAA flag is set.  General consensus is that it uses around 3.5 GB.  Having more RAM can help if it's allocating large single objects in memory (since a single allocation needs contiguous RAM space, which is more likely to be available if you have cavernous RAM), but I can't see what it would be allocating that would be larger than a few meg.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7408 on: November 22, 2013, 11:24:48 am »

Windows counts video ram as in use by the application (roughly speaking do no want to write all the story because meh)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7409 on: November 22, 2013, 03:36:53 pm »

Just discovered that I can use symmetries of symmetries, and avoid most if not all hand placing of parts!  I can make a cluster of fuel tanks with 6x or 8x symmetry, and then save them as templates.  I can then attach copies of the templates to a start shaped structural frame with 8x symmetry, and WHAM! massive lower stage for a super-heavy-lift-vehicle.

So now that I am using such massive bundles of parts in absurd configurations (good thing finances are not implemented yet, or I'd have to rethink this) I am having concerns about the copious quantity of struts that are being used to hold all these bundles of tanks together.

I have been using X shaped strut connections, but does this actually add value?  Is there any advantage to using an X shape rather than just a single strut between components? 

In real life, there would be additional rigidity with an X strut.  But with the game physics, I'm thinking I could probably shave some weight without sacrificing stability by trimming this down a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 848