Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448707 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

Less wobbly solution: orange tanks with the smallest rockomax tanks on the bottom.
Career mode, I don't have the orange tanks yet :P
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just unlocked the orange tanks and mainsails in career mode, after I brought home my 8x minimus landers.  Now I just need to send a rescue mission to pick up the pilot of the mothership that dropped the landers off.

I'm actually having a hard time designing a better heavy lifter than the one I had with the grey tanks and skippers.  Maybe I'm being greedy and sloppy now that I have the mainsails, but those big engines just dont send as much up. 

They do send less up lots faster, though.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

I use 4x basic engines instead of mainsails. Maybe it's just me but I think it pushes more.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

It's just you. Mainsails have twice the power of that and a better TWR on top.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I use 4x basic engines instead of mainsails. Maybe it's just me but I think it pushes more.

4x T45 or 4x Skipper?  in the first case, it would be a total max thrust of 800, in the second it would total 2600.  Mainsail pushes 1500, but has a better thrust/weight ratio than the multi-engine combos.

I think the problem is that it has a lower I(sp), significantly lower in atmosphere.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

The mainsail is better for providing tons of thrust, but yeah, x4 T45s are more efficient, because the Mainsail is a gas-guzzling beast of an engine.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Haha! first successful orbital rescue mission! 

Attempt one, accidentally brought 3 kerbalnauts and didnt have room for the rescuee. 

Attempt two, setup a very close intercept but overlooked orbital direction, and was crossing paths with the target ship at high velocity rather than matching paths.

I haven't quite figured out ascending and descending nodes, but was able to eye-ball the intercept distances and got attempt-two turned around (thankfully minmus is small, and didnt take much fuel to reverse orbit) and setup a 7.5km intercept.

Not close enough for docking, but close enough for Herford Kerman to space walk it with an EVA pack.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

Texture Replacer is now able to keep persistent Kerbal customization. And it's still way easier on your system than Universe Replacer. Check it out!

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The station is coming on nicely. It's all mine bar the (off axis) docking prongs at the end, which my friend added.
From left to right: Docking prongs, crew units (now home to Jeb and Bob), rcs tanks, adapter, fuel tank (only 3 parts per tank!) and weird dysfunctional tug thing which needs to be removed.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thats a lot of torque!  are you planning on spinning it for gravity?

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile

Heh. Last time we tried that it took a fortnight to clear out the sick. I assume you're talking about the 4 torque modules at the end - the first two are designed to be part of tug useless since it never hurts for some extra responsivity (there are 2 rtg inside) and the two together come from my rendevouz kit, a launcher designed to put 15t to orbit with that too for rendevouz. Since I've used it for the entire construction of my part of the station, it needs to able to turn 15t quickly (the RCS section I first built it for is in the middle, can be seen earlier in the thread labelled my first docking). So I decidied it would be fun to try and dock with it still attached. But if I build another station, it will have a puke centrifuge module on it.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Now I find myself wanting to run a kerbal-Soyuz space program as a result of running a very slow Cold War scenario in Aurora, I'm just upto luna 15/ Apollo 11 and have found bobcats soviet pack and an N1 addon, I'm hoping they work on .23.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Texture Replacer is now able to keep persistent Kerbal customization. And it's still way easier on your system than Universe Replacer. Check it out!

thanks!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the only downside to having many types and amrks of rockets is that the rocket list will be cluttered.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

the only downside to having many types and amrks of rockets is that the rocket list will be cluttered.
Yeah I'm still looking for a good parts catalog type mod that works in .23
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 848