Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448149 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #8130 on: February 14, 2014, 01:20:44 pm »

Gorram it.

And laptop. No mouse wheel. If XCOM can have + and - do the same thing, why can't KSP?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #8131 on: February 14, 2014, 01:26:24 pm »

Gorram it.

And laptop. No mouse wheel. If XCOM can have + and - do the same thing, why can't KSP?

+ and - work on a numpad.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8132 on: February 14, 2014, 01:37:24 pm »

Laptops usually don't have numpads :(
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8133 on: February 14, 2014, 01:47:47 pm »

Laptops usually don't have numpads :(

Lies. They have fn key and blue numpad on keyboard.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8134 on: February 14, 2014, 01:55:46 pm »

Mine has a function pad but no blue numpad.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8135 on: February 14, 2014, 02:15:54 pm »

I wonder if you can use the two-finger scroll on the trackpad...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8136 on: February 14, 2014, 02:35:19 pm »

Not consistently.

Second and third launches of the "successful" rocket were failures. First was human error (I think?), which caused a catastrophic crash. The second failure was when the first stage started coming loose before it was released, and collided with the rest of the craft, causing a panicked ejection. At least he survived. That time.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8137 on: February 14, 2014, 03:56:07 pm »

I had that issue where, just before the end of the first stage's fuel, it would come loose and smash into the rest of the rocket. And also that issue where crashing into a mountainside while time-warped does not cause the parachute to activate.
And the next launch, meant to triple-check this failing, showed that time warp screws with stability indeed.

The Neo-Launcher Mk Vb comes with several struts that should fix the issue of catastrophic section failure. It comes with a new quirk that two of the engines on the first stage do not activate. In addition, the second stage's liquid-fuel rocket is dry when said stage activates. The Vb does, however, succeed at its stated mission...and gets into orbit!
Um. I'm out of fuel. How is it going to land?
Sig

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8138 on: February 14, 2014, 04:01:58 pm »

launch another rocket that will gently nudge the other rocket into an aerobraking orbit, land this rocket, then turn to the original rocket and wait.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8139 on: February 14, 2014, 04:02:29 pm »

Need more struts, don't timewarp while landing.

If your rocket is manned, you can get out with EVA and push at apokee.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8140 on: February 14, 2014, 04:20:56 pm »

I added another stage to the Neo-Launcher Mk Vb, about half again the size of the whole original ship, and called it the Mun Launcher Mk I. Seven liquid-fuel engines, six solid-fuel engines, and a mess of fuel tanks.
It crashed into the rest of the ship, causing a catastrophic explosion. The pilot, Bill Kerman, was unharmed.
Twelve struts later, the Mun Launcher Mk Ib was ready to launch. It also exploded; Bill again survived, landing on top of the tower thingy next to the rocket.

Maybe I'll finish the Mun Launch Project later. Right now, I need to skedaddle.

Quickedit: I'll try the EVA thing later?
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8141 on: February 14, 2014, 08:44:43 pm »

Six more struts have been added to the ML-Ic, and this is enough to stop it from falling apart! Unfortunately, those struts are also keeping the stages quite firmly attached! We did, however, manage to launch more or less uneventfully, even if we more or less wasted a stage, leaving us with basically no fuel for actual Munar orbit. And I accidentally hit the "next stage" button instead of the "turn on engines" button.

Back to the Ib, more or less. We add six different struts, hoping that the Id can hold up where the Ib and Ia collapsed, and reach orbit where the Ic did not. Unfortunately, we suffer critical falling-and-exploding. A quick modification adds two Launch Stability Enhancers to the design, letting us avoid this pitfall. Hey, what happened to Bill? Was that propellant explosion lethal? The NL-Vb is overhead at the time of launch...and by launch I mean "falling-apart, explosive failure". I think the LSEs smashed into the rocket or something. Ludeny Kerman was killed in the massive, fiery explosion.

The Mun Launcher Ie has no fewer than six Launch Stability Enhancers, as low and wide as can be. The launch goes of without much of a hitch, except that a fraction of a second after launch stuff started falling apart. But I've found the definite culprit! I think. And Geofemy survived, although the command pod was somehow embedded in the ground.

Okay...the ML-If is not successful. I have not solved the problem.

Another project I've thought of has been started: A single-stage craft capable of reaching orbit. It has seven boosters, seven parachutes, and nineteen fuel tanks. People calling it an "aerodynamic nightmare" may be technically correct, but have gladly volunteered to clear wreckage from the Launch Pad. Without pay. For the next week. They are proven to have a bit of a point when it promptly flips over and crashes. This has been attributed, in large part, to structural failure between one of the engines and a fuel tank, causing it to (in layman's terms) fall off. Two LSEs were added, and another launch attempted. It started well, although some spinning was reported, as well as unexpected tilting. At just past six kilometers in altitude, fuel ran out and parachutes were deployed. Apoapsis of slightly over seven kilometers was achieved. At T+2:14, the parachutes deployed and were ripped out of their holding points. Experts recommend more fuel and more parachutes. Experts have been smacked for making such obvious suggestions.
Sig

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8142 on: February 14, 2014, 08:50:04 pm »

Six more struts have been added to the ML-Ic, and this is enough to stop it from falling apart! Unfortunately, those struts are also keeping the stages quite firmly attached!

This is a common problem. People don't seem to know that struts automatically break when stages they're holding together separate. You don't need to worry about that.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8143 on: February 14, 2014, 09:15:12 pm »

Then why didn't the stages separate? It's not that the engines weren't firing--the exhaust bouncing off the original stage was enough to obscure the whole ship!
Sig

Falknor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8144 on: February 14, 2014, 09:25:01 pm »

Thanks for the stories GW. It brings back my many attempts that ended with destruction. !Fun Times!  8)
I'll use Dwarven Logic. AKA Encrusting the problem with gems, beating an elf to death with it, and then throwing it into the volcano.
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 848