Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448470 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #8250 on: February 20, 2014, 07:00:16 pm »

meanwhile I discovered Scott Manley did a mission to the Mun without altimeter and speedometer, using only the iva view.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0c-gx03DpM

:o

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #8251 on: February 20, 2014, 08:07:14 pm »

Hes not the only one. HOC gaming did it too.

And technically that cockpit has the altimeter.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8252 on: February 20, 2014, 08:08:02 pm »

meanwhile I discovered Scott Manley did a mission to the Mun without altimeter and speedometer, using only the iva view.

Isn't there an altimeter in the IVA?
And I, for one, haven't really used the speedometer except for the attempted SSTO and sometimes when the game recorded me as moving across the surface.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8253 on: February 20, 2014, 08:10:12 pm »

Without the glaringly obvious external altimeter, he means.
Black lives matter.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8254 on: February 20, 2014, 08:12:24 pm »

Do you need that?
Highly Opinionated Fool

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8255 on: February 20, 2014, 08:28:25 pm »

Isn't there an altimeter in the IVA?
And I, for one, haven't really used the speedometer except for the attempted SSTO and sometimes when the game recorded me as moving across the surface.

the lander can has only the radio altimeter which is useless above 30k; without horizontal speed and the altitude it's kind of hard knowing which orbit you are.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8256 on: February 20, 2014, 10:19:39 pm »

I attempted to solve stability issues by putting more reaction wheels on the Shrike.

This had only marginal improvement.

I decide to instead try adding an engine to the belly of the plane. It worked for a while...

...but evidently was nose-heavy or something.

(Which is odd to me, because the rocket fuel tank was emptied pretty quickly.)

Adjustments are made, moving things backwards. Things go well, until I screw up, lose my momentum, and start to fall.

Yes, that is my jet engine far away, having fallen off when I deployed my parachute. Aside from that, the landing was flawless.

The next launch went well, until I got bored, tried to hit V, and accidentally hit the spacebar, releasing the parachutes. It doesn't take a genius to realize that those will hurt your already-slim chance of orbit, so I gave up for that launch, and for now because I'm tired of flying that thing.

On that note, does anyone have advice for getting spaceplanes to orbit?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8257 on: February 20, 2014, 10:30:32 pm »

The way I did it was I started small.  I got the smallest plane I could get that could take off, fly, and land.   Then I added more fuel to it, and then I added more fuel, then bigger wings, then a bigger engine, and so on.   As you go along you make small adjustments to keep it able to take off.   
Are you trying to just get a spaceplane to orbit, or do you want a single stage to orbit plane?   If you just want it to get to orbit build a giant sled made from six large solid fuel rockets.  Once you reach the end of the runway release the plane form the sled, and you are at takeoff speed, and you don't have to worry about wheels.
You also don't need all those intakes.    Removing some of them would probably help. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8258 on: February 20, 2014, 10:32:04 pm »

Seriously GWG, 1 intake PER ENGINE. Fucking hell dude, that shit is ridiculous.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8259 on: February 20, 2014, 11:38:15 pm »

You need more than one per engine for a space plane. They need to lean burn air as long as possible.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #8260 on: February 21, 2014, 12:21:43 am »

Alright so, this is what happens when i think of XCOM and KSP in the same train of thought:

(Warning, large-ass images.)
Spoiler: XCOM Skyranger (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: XCOM Interceptor (click to show/hide)

I like how the Skyranger turned out, though sadly it flies like a brick. You can barely see them, but there's a whole bunch of RCS thrusters on the underside (which technically is faithful to the Skyranger's specs, it has vents under there so it can do VTOL), and they're the only thing that can make this beast pull up in any kinda capacity. Turn them off, the Skyranger just dives.

The Interceptor on the other hand flies fairly decently, as long as i keep SAS on because it wants to pull up otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:26:57 am by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8261 on: February 21, 2014, 02:04:45 am »

Those are awesome.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8262 on: February 21, 2014, 02:24:39 am »

I like how the Skyranger turned out, though sadly it flies like a brick. You can barely see them, but there's a whole bunch of RCS thrusters on the underside (which technically is faithful to the Skyranger's specs, it has vents under there so it can do VTOL), and they're the only thing that can make this beast pull up in any kinda capacity. Turn them off, the Skyranger just dives.

Let's be completely honest, the Skyranger /is/ a brick. I imagine the only reason it'd ever fly in real life is a combination of high-speed, computer controlled trim and a whole lot of aerodynamic tricks you can't easily replicate in KSP. Or in real life.
Nothing important here, move along.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8263 on: February 21, 2014, 10:01:23 am »

The way I did it was I started small.  I got the smallest plane I could get that could take off, fly, and land.   Then I added more fuel to it, and then I added more fuel, then bigger wings, then a bigger engine, and so on.   As you go along you make small adjustments to keep it able to take off.   
Are you trying to just get a spaceplane to orbit, or do you want a single stage to orbit plane?   If you just want it to get to orbit build a giant sled made from six large solid fuel rockets.  Once you reach the end of the runway release the plane form the sled, and you are at takeoff speed, and you don't have to worry about wheels.
You also don't need all those intakes.    Removing some of them would probably help.
SSTO. And when I had less engines, I had way too little air when they ran out.

-snip-
Well, that's pretty much what the Skuranger does in-game, isn't it? (And I would have thought a single jet engine would be more like what the Skyranger uses.)

Three questions.
1. Does the Skyranger have passenger space? You know, for the team?
2. Does the interceptor have any kind of weapons?
3. Do you feel up to replicating a Firestorm?

And finally...I had an idea sort of the inverse of this a few days ago.
Aliens invade Kerbin, forcing X-KOM to form. Hilarity ensues. Thoughts?
Sig

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8264 on: February 21, 2014, 10:30:12 am »

K-Kom.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 848