Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448462 times)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #8265 on: February 21, 2014, 02:25:23 pm »

-snip-
Three questions.
1. Does the Skyranger have passenger space? You know, for the team?
Nope, don't have any parts that would work for this.
2. Does the interceptor have any kind of weapons?
It can crash into something. :P
3. Do you feel up to replicating a Firestorm?
I have a rough theory as to how it might work, but i'm still going over it in my head to try and figure out if it's even possible. It'll require mapping different thrusters hidden within the body to different keys, and a way to keep the thing stable instead of tipping over when i move it horizontally.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 02:26:59 pm by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #8266 on: February 21, 2014, 04:05:37 pm »

K-Kom.
Eh. Too many K's.

-snip-
Three questions.
1. Does the Skyranger have passenger space? You know, for the team?
Nope, don't have any parts that would work for this.
2. Does the interceptor have any kind of weapons?
It can crash into something. :P
3. Do you feel up to replicating a Firestorm?
I have a rough theory as to how it might work, but i'm still going over it in my head to try and figure out if it's even possible. It'll require mapping different thrusters hidden within the body to different keys, and a way to keep the thing stable instead of tipping over when i move it horizontally.
1. What about the Hitchhiker thingy? Or, barring that, put six seats on the outside.
2. That's...not much help. If you're interested, Macey Dean did a tutorial on making weapons.
3. If you ever decide to work it out, post it here. Please.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8267 on: February 21, 2014, 04:11:44 pm »

Dang ninjaed...

well, theres K-Com.

1.crew tank! Crewtank!
2. Exactly!
3. I have no idea what that is, and cant find images. Fucking new version...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8268 on: February 21, 2014, 08:52:29 pm »

Here.
Something tells me you didn't think to add "xcom"...heck, even with the dash it works...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8269 on: February 21, 2014, 10:19:51 pm »

I did. I searched with "firestorm original xcom"
Highly Opinionated Fool

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8270 on: February 21, 2014, 11:15:19 pm »

I did as well.

Sig

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8271 on: February 21, 2014, 11:51:02 pm »

Hyphenate it, of course:
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8272 on: February 22, 2014, 11:50:55 am »

Good luck flying that if you actually put it's main propulsion in the center, I'll take the brick instead.
The skyranger looks excellent, I've noticed your engines are lower than in the game, but I'm sure thats because you need it to actually fly.
The interceptor however, eh, the wings arent deep enough or pointy enough for my taste, Its nose is too rounded, limitation of stock parts i guess, but maybe try chines?
The interceptor always reminded me of early 60's fighters with their bare metal chrome looks, but I recently realised that nobody put 2 tails onto a delta winged craft because of the drag.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8273 on: February 22, 2014, 12:19:35 pm »

Good luck flying that if you actually put it's main propulsion in the center, I'll take the brick instead.
Perhaps that could be an engine that just gives lift, and smaller (RCS?) engines around the sides provide the actual thrust?
Sig

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8274 on: February 22, 2014, 05:11:30 pm »

Or have ants provide the side thrust.
Highly Opinionated Fool

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8275 on: February 22, 2014, 05:27:38 pm »

I'm going to try that. Really, what's the worst that could happen? i'm not going for a Firestorm as much as a generic UFO, though. With a big ugly node on top for storing the five missiles I added.

The first version had two large issues with the engine: It not only drained all the fuel from the missiles, it wasn't strong enough to lift the ungaily contraption. I fiddle with the craft, replacing the Poodle with a Skipper and adding a small steel bar between the missile pod and the rest.
It went well enough, although trying to get to a proper hovering throttle lead to rising up and falling down unstoppably, exploding and killing..wait, no, the command pod was just separated from the fuel tank that was the first part. Well, let's try that again. The second test discovered that full throttle caused a gentle lifting off, while one tick less caused falling. Trying to find the point where lift just equals weight discovered a new flaw: Fuel capacity.

These launches, incidentally, left no further than 30 pieces of debris, not counting the parts that counted as vehicles or which included the manned component of the vehicles.

Abruptly switching gears, I decide to try launching a probe into interstellar space, as well as using asparagus staging.

It looks silly, but let's see how it does! One thing that becomes obvious immediately is that there are structural issues, in the sense that the main engine got left behind on the launchpad due to evidently falling off.
The relaunch's takeoff, while faster than the original "Mainsail fell off" version, is still a bit more sluggish than many rockets. Still, it works well. Before long, I'm releasing my first set of fuel tanks. Overheat in the main engine remains pretty steady at 50% of the bar or so, but it's still a bit worrisome...
At the one-minute mark, we're at 5,740 meters and our second set of fuel tanks is half-out. Those tanks are released just under half a minute later, as we were in the middle of our gravity turn. One of them hit one of the remaining side engines! To avoid unbalance, I release it worriedly. Without stability systems, it soon enough begins rocketing towards the sea. By the two-minute mark, I have my spacecraft pretty much under control.
The mainsail gets released at a bit over 30,000 meters. By this point I had hoped to at least be in orbit, but instead I'm on one of my last stages (after this one big orange tank of fuel I have just a little Rockomax-8 one and the probe's own ion engines) and still struggling to get into orbit.
We hit space just after the four-minute mark, precisely a minute before apoapsis. Our last big engine has 3/4 or 4/5 if a tank left. We've got a pack of cigarettes, it's dark in space, a and someone left a set of sunglasses on the probe.
Hit it.,
We get into a slightly elliptical (100,742a/70,944p) orbit, perhaps 45 degrees off the equatorial, and still have 20-25% of our stage's fuel left. Now for a maneuver node...or several, each pushing the orbit THAT much further out, burning prograde at the apoapsis...wait, that doesn't sound right.
After some checking and stuff, I correct my escaping stuff and ready myself for a one-minute burn that whoops, I kept typing after alt-tabbing to KSP and wound up dropping my fuel. If I can still manage the ~1,230 m/s Δv, I'll get a nice little orbit tangent to that of Kerbin (of course) and with a periapsis a bit under eleven billion meters from the Sun.

And I did it. I still have a third of the fuel tank left.

For the first time, I have sent something out into the icy black of interplanetary space. No idea where the little Asparagus Probe will go, or what it could do...but the sky is no longer the limit for the little green men.

Or have ants provide the side thrust.
Ants?
Sig

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8276 on: February 22, 2014, 05:29:17 pm »

Tiny engine.
Highly Opinionated Fool

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8277 on: February 22, 2014, 08:01:03 pm »

People call it an ant because its flavor text is "What is this, an engine for ants?"

KSP flavor text is unbelievably tasty. like bacon flavor whip cream.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8278 on: February 23, 2014, 12:03:43 am »

That sounds disgusting. However, whipped cream with bacon bits in sounds like it could be very good.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8279 on: February 23, 2014, 12:29:46 pm »

Just in case people don't know about Cupcake's versatile, mass balanced, and heavily part-clipped vehicles. A lot of them can be docked and fly together. They all utilize some sort of drop tank depending on the mission you need. Many can go most anywhere in the solar system all by themselves and return to Kerbin.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He did a Jool mission recently using an old craft. The primary vehicle got back to Kerbin on fumes.
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 848