Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448317 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now HirinOptimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #8280 on: February 23, 2014, 03:19:02 pm »

Aw man. His ships look awesome AND perform awesome. I'm lucky if I get mediocre in one and workable in the other.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #8281 on: February 23, 2014, 03:26:09 pm »

This monstrosity can get to 100km orbit with about 1400m/s to spare, but kinda relies on Tac Fuel Balancer mod. It is in no way efficient, has no space tape, and no fuel lines. It's just a fairly early career tech rocket.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's just a slapped together thing that works for early science gathering. I can't remember if I ever got to the Mun or not. It's really just around to get up and plop down into any Kerbin biome.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #8282 on: February 24, 2014, 07:09:10 am »

If you want a hovercraft/flying saucer/helicopter-gyro-whatever You pretty much need to use jet engines for the low fuel consumption...
In fact, I want a UFO now, lets see what I can come up with.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8283 on: February 24, 2014, 08:45:35 am »

It's not a flying saucer if it can't at least fly between planets...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8285 on: February 24, 2014, 04:16:56 pm »

Ions!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8286 on: February 24, 2014, 04:21:10 pm »

That's a really good idea. Maybe SSTO SABRE, then 10+ Ions?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8287 on: February 24, 2014, 08:20:58 pm »

That's a really good idea. Maybe SSTO SABRE, then 10+ Ions?
Sounds good. Macey made an SSTO fighterjet with one turbojet engine and half a dozen ions, which is largely what inspired by horribly-failed attempts.

Also, ion engines look cool.
They also sound cool.
Sig

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8288 on: February 24, 2014, 09:02:06 pm »

Recently had a successful Mun rescue. This ship
was used to suck Minmus dry of science, and could have been trimmed down even more for that duty. Sadly, it didn't have enough juice to successfully reenter Munar orbit, never mind dock with the mother ship. So, in comes the Munar megascience lander! (Pictured docked to the Megascience Mothership)
Landing gears are for suckers, struts are where it's at! Capable of extreme landings of up to 90 m/s with only slight catastrophic disassembly!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8289 on: February 24, 2014, 11:30:43 pm »

On the other hand, they're less likely to have Jebediah rocket off into space because you suck at rocket-pack controls.

Again.

Any advice on how to get out of that pickle?
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8290 on: February 25, 2014, 09:14:26 am »

For UFO, use the new RAPIER engines.

Air breathing in atmosphere, switches to oxidizer once it clears to space.

Its a Hybrid worthy of any smug San Francisco hippie.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8291 on: February 25, 2014, 10:01:41 am »

How exactly would one go about making a circular ship, anyway?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8292 on: February 25, 2014, 11:13:39 am »

It's not easy, or pretty, but you can approximate it with hexaradial symmetry.
Sig

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8293 on: February 25, 2014, 11:22:35 am »

The one thing I dislike about the current engine: you can fork parts but you can't get them back together again. You can't build a square box without a lot of space tape.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8294 on: February 25, 2014, 11:44:09 am »

It's not easy, or pretty, but you can approximate it with hexaradial symmetry.
But that just ain't the same, maaaaaaan.
I must contact a modder, and ask them to make a disc hull...
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 848