Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443964 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Code: [Select]
Hell, I don't even have to relaunch.
[quote] name = ResearchAndDevelopment
scene = 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
sci = 46.84537[/quote]
and of course.
[quote] Tech
{
id = basicRocketry
state = Available
part = decoupler.ftr.small
part = decoupler.ftr.2M
part = fuelTank
part = fuelTankSmallFlat
part = GooExperiment
part = stackDecoupler
[/quote]
Etc.
I can also paste In my completed science reports, My flags, My Hacked Braver Jebediah, Smarter Bill, Dumber less courageous Bob, And I've found where Mission controller puts its data..... However, Things have changed under the hood (mathie-fisik-numbahs thingies) and I've got so many mods I'll just delay updating untill I'm sure they're all compatible.

Meanwhile, I can reveal what I've been working on for the last 2 days.
It's a car! No not a rover, Just a boring old car, nothing special about it, not even a spacecar, a truck actually.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yep, just a truck.
The K35 2 1/2 ton truck Is a marvel of engineering, and well worth the money spent exploding developing Crash testing it.
Shotgun!
Quite comfortable for 3, lots of leg room.
Lots of utility, here it's carrying KAS cargo.
Quite fast actually.
Careful on those corners Jeb!
Nice recovery, add stunt driver to your titles there.
The launch pad, is NOT a stunt course, yes I know it has ramps, they're not for this D:.
Still comfortable, lucky Bob insisted on 7 point harnesses.
Carries big stuff rather well.
That's a drill? I thought we kept the engine in there.
Erm, Just in case we need a mobile tracking station? I dunno, It looks cool!
This big drill is awesome.
Bill: "I don't think this is such a good idea guys."

A few notes, Tube parts make excellent cabins/windows, and lots of random crap everywhere makes things look more like real machinery. However i made a small mistake during a redesign and half the truck now isn't symmetrical, as a result It's inverted half the flaps on the wings for my aerial version, making it impossible to fly untill I've sorted it out, also I should use kethane as a fuel since, well, it's got a drill and tanks already right?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:28:34 pm by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Career mode is hard.

Specifically, it's hard when you're incapable of sending a rocket into orbit with anywhere near enough fuel to de-orbit manually and you've already gotten the Mystery Goo[super]TM[/super], crew report and EVA report science for most of the areas you can visit.

Check out some of the career mode and early rocketry tutorials.  Simpler really is better for cheap orbiters with low tech parts.

I was having a really hard time too, until I watched a Scott Manley tutorial and stripped all the extra parts and stages out of my rocket and lightened it up.  And learned how to properly time my gravity turn.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Asteroids and grabbers and bigger parts are all well and good...
But MY GAWD, this has improved my framerate by a factor of 3!!!!
My main gaming PC's graphic card went dead, so I use my laptop for KSP, and it was horrible before!
Now it's smooth sailing!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Asteroids and grabbers and bigger parts are all well and good...
But MY GAWD, this has improved my framerate by a factor of 3!!!!
My main gaming PC's graphic card went dead, so I use my laptop for KSP, and it was horrible before!
Now it's smooth sailing!
Really? I wonder if this would help my overheating laptop.
Speaking of Asteroids and grabbers, I grabbed one!
I needed infinite fuel to move it around though, I learned that I need more RCS or reaction wheels or maybe more Atomic rockets clustered around for major RCS operations.
Was dissapointed that the ground didn't explode when it hit kerbin :'(
But Jeb had fun climbing it.
No screenshots because lazy :/
Haha, Just kidding. No shots of the rocket because these new big rockets are just too easy, stable, and boring Unexplody.
Crazy maneuvering, I wasn't exactly sure what was going on there, but I just went with it.
It looks like it it'll get there.
WTF? I'm sure it'll be fine.
Intersect? That means It's close yes?
Much closer!
now a look at the craft, 8 gigantors power 8 of the new much more powerful Ion thrusters. Also there are 3 nuclear rockets in case we need higher acceleration.
Coming in very gentle. The slowest docking I have ever achieved. Actually My first docking, using the grabber counts right?
Kinda looks like a tick.
Deploy! We're going to need that power to move this rock. To save Kerbin from lumpy potato-like space-threats!
Oh Hi kerbin.
Yeah, Um, this thing is kinda hard to steer.
I think It's going to miss?
Yeah ok, I was actually aiming for Kerbin, but this probe was valuable so I'll just use the rock as a heat shield.
Boom, there goes the probe.
BOOM!!
What's this?
It had to land on the other side of the world from KSC didn't it?
JEB! That's cheating, We're not going to let you have a flag for this.

Well that was fun, between catching up with the rock and then Kerbin again I've finally learned how to use maneuver nodes properly. I just need to get the hang of finer maneuvering for rendevous, I'm sure theres an easier way than merely burning In the opposite direction on the navball to whatever offset of you're heading vs the targets heading.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 06:37:01 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

You know what someone needs to do? Blanket Eve entirely in a thick layer of asteroids till its easy to launch from. :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

What exactly happens if you fail to redirect an asteroid and it hits Kerbin? Does anything bad happen at all?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

What exactly happens if you fail to redirect an asteroid and it hits Kerbin? Does anything bad happen at all?
See the screenshot above with Jeb standing on a big rock, at least that's what happens if one you've captured crashes, I have no idea what happens if one that hasn't been captured hits.
Anyway, I now need to launch a recovery operation to get that back to the space center.
And then.... I dunno.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

See the screenshot above with Jeb standing on a big rock, at least that's what happens if one you've captured crashes, I have no idea what happens if one that hasn't been captured hits.
Anyway, I now need to launch a recovery operation to get that back to the space center.
And then.... I dunno.
Oh. I just scrolled passed the screenshots after the first couple, because I can't see them. Stupid school internet, blocking imgur.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Got my first bit of actual asteroid redirecting done. http://imgur.com/a/aA9MC

Used a few mods, primarily Near Future Propulsion, KAS, and Procedural Fairings because I can't imagine what I would be doing without that interstage adapter. Got a passing Class C into an elliptic orbit of some 6-30K kilometers. Might get another mission out to it to bring it closer. KAS winches turned out to be a fairly poor choice for towing an asteroid. But it was fun. ^_^

I liked this moment particularly.
Space immediately feels less empty now that you can actually make your own asteroid thicket.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Got my first bit of actual asteroid redirecting done. http://imgur.com/a/aA9MC

Used a few mods, primarily Near Future Propulsion, KAS, and Procedural Fairings because I can't imagine what I would be doing without that interstage adapter. Got a passing Class C into an elliptic orbit of some 6-30K kilometers. Might get another mission out to it to bring it closer. KAS winches turned out to be a fairly poor choice for towing an asteroid. But it was fun. ^_^

I liked this moment particularly.
Space immediately feels less empty now that you can actually make your own asteroid thicket.
Basically once you grab it it turns into a huge part with infinite durability so it survives impact then rolls around a bit.
Hell yeah, when I finally get my career Integrated into this version I'll eventually make a ring of asteriod habitats around kerbin.... A shame i can't connect them together and make a halo or something. Or space elevator?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:35:20 am by MarcAFK »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

In theory? I believe so.

In practice? It probably requires a heck of a lot of fuel.

...Someone needs to make a nice, big ring around Kerbin made of inter-docked asteroids, just to see what would happen.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Physics is limited to 2km, which you all seem to have forgotten.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

In theory? I believe so.

In practice? It probably requires a heck of a lot of fuel.

...Someone needs to make a nice, big ring around Kerbin made of inter-docked asteroids, just to see what would happen.

Danny tried something like this before. Guess what happened.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Asteroid on ksc dome
imgur.com/a/XGNKi

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:22:44 am by BigD145 »
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 848