Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448529 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Something that's been bothering me lately, what's the best part to use as ballast? I know engines and pods are heavy, but I can't find anything compact that's heavy enough to use as counterweights.

upward pointing retro-rockets?
Nah they're too light, besides I kinda want non exploding ballast. I guess I could mod something to be heavier I could use part clipping and symmetry to produce weights, or mod something, But I think I'll just stick to using engines.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Something that's been bothering me lately, what's the best part to use as ballast? I know engines and pods are heavy, but I can't find anything compact that's heavy enough to use as counterweights.

upward pointing retro-rockets?
Nah they're too light, besides I kinda want non exploding ballast. I guess I could mod something to be heavier I could use part clipping and symmetry to produce weights, or mod something, But I think I'll just stick to using engines.
Asteroids?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

As I said before, best part of this patch is the physics upd00t. Your games will now run faster and with less wibbly-wobbly parts.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I noticed that my asteroid weighs 800 tons, A real asteroid that big would weigh 45,000 tons, and since kerbin has 10 times the density of earth perhaps my roids should weigh half a million tonnes?
I'm going to see what it takes to move one that big.. I recall XKCD determined i would need more fuel tanks than the rock itself.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well it seems like I'll have to migrate to the new version, but first...

Spoiler: Let's have some fun (click to show/hide)

I'll probably get to the actual carnage tomorrow. Also, each ship was manually launched and positioned. You can imagine how hard it was getting the Kerov off the ground with FAR installed.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

Well apparently asteroids can spawn on a impact course with Kerbin.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately for Jeb(And let's be honest, probably any Kerbal that was living nearby), the craft sent to try and defeat it was designed for much smaller asteroids. (and he didn't bring along a drill, a nuke and Bruce Willis to blow it up.)

Rest in peace Jeb. (I have MissingCrewsRespawn turned off so he won't respawn)

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:58:18 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

nogoodnames, that is awesome, but I have to say having FAR installed probably helped, because it actually thins out the atmosphere substantially.

Rilder I just think its epic that the claw survived like that, I'm sure the Kerbals will make many movies commemorating Jeb's sacrifice, and the sheer awesome of the way the ship JUST stopped the asteroid from totally annihilating everything.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

but I have to say having FAR installed probably helped, because it actually thins out the atmosphere substantially.

Heh, no. No it does not. Maybe it seems that way when you're using reasonably aerodynamic rockets, but when you've got an absurd amount of drag perched on top of a rocket (granted that was my fault, I should have been smart enough to put the ship in the middle of some boosters, instead of on top of them) things become impossible.

To be clear, the thrust needed to lift the ship was never an issue, it was the immense amount of drag those wings caused which made the whole thing uncontrollable. Doing anything but flying straight up, with SAS and RCS on and with perfectly controlled thrust would result in the rocket flipping over. Literally tapping the pitch or yaw controls would make the launch unsalvageable.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Hugo, is that Jeb?
Could it be anyone else? :D
Yes.

I noticed that my asteroid weighs 800 tons, A real asteroid that big would weigh 45,000 tons, and since kerbin has 10 times the density of earth perhaps my roids should weigh half a million tonnes?
Probably for roughly the same reason why Kerbin is a fraction of the size of Earth but has several times the density.

I'm going to see what it takes to move one that big.. I recall XKCD determined i would need more fuel tanks than the rock itself.
I think that was Scott Manley, referring to de-orbiting Gilly and Minmus.

Rilder I just think its epic that the claw survived like that, I'm sure the Kerbals will make many movies commemorating Jeb's sacrifice, and the sheer awesome of the way the ship JUST stopped the asteroid from totally annihilating everything.
Shame that proper asteroid impacts don't do anything. An asteroid landing from extraKerbin orbit right on top of the VAB would just bounce off.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've decided to experiment with the asteroids, despite having never successfully made a rendezvous with anything lacking gravitational pull. Including kerbonauts on EVA who let go of the ladder in freefall.

So. New game, to get asteroids. Lots keep popping up. Here's the first, and not a bad one.

More keep popping up; I have my eye on one JAL-968, which comes within forty megameters. HSJ-227 is the first encounter, though, and I'll see what I can do with that.

1. Design a craft for rendezvous and moving of an asteroid.

One thing I noticed what that everyone was complaining about how they couldn't turn asteroids easily. The solution?

That's a reaction wheel, with a probe body, some RTGs, and a hook attached. It is intended to be gently tossed at an asteroid (via stack separator or something) to help maneuver it. Presumably, all craft stuck on the same asteroid will be controlled as one...at least, I hope that's how it works, because if not some future plans with asteroids1 are going to be tricky.
P.S. I had to rebuild it, but I made subassemblies work!

Now with stack separator!

Alright. Maybe I didn't have to build it, but...eh.
I try to add a humorous, pretty description like the stock parts have, but I don't have enough room for the first sentence. I am sad.

The trick is to build a craft that can take a bunch of these (six sounds good) up to the asteroid, and also have enough Δv to move it.

That should do it! Probably.
I'm thinking maybe I should have put RCS on it, so it could maneuver itself into just the right position, but...eh, not really needed methinks. And mehopes.

I'll work on this more later, when I have time. For now...this will do, pig. This will do.

Footnotes:
1. Like space station cores.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You'll have lower part counts if you make one big set of reaction wheels. All those klaws are extra parts.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But then I only have torque from one location. I might as well not even have the things.
Sig

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

In space, it doesn't matter how many points your torque comes from. The turning will always happen around the center of mass.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

The gravity of a planet is directly proportional to it's mass. Radius and density are only indirect measures, multiplying them gets the mass (well, m=(radius cubed) * 4 * pi * density / 3, anyway). Kerbin has smaller radius but a much greater density in order to create Earth-like conditions.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But then I only have torque from one location. I might as well not even have the things.

SAS is magical. It just has to be on the vehicle somewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 848