Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448071 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I made a plane once which, in FAR, would fly straight and level for any length of time (and would gracefully glide right back down to land) so long as I didn't so much as touch a single control. It would even take off all on its own at the end of the runway.

The second I made any sort of correction or controlled movement, it would violently spin out and explode mid-air. I didn't have any weirdness going on like part stacking with collision turned off.

Without FAR it worked fine. I never got the hang of making planes in FAR.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Do you use FAR? I kinda gathered that you have Deadly Reentry, so...
I considered it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't install it.

There's more than that. FAR does model the loss of control at supersonic speed, but more importantly it models surfaces obstructing each other from airflow, and angles of deflection. GWG's aircraft returns lightweight, and it has canards on the front - which are meant to aid in low-speed maneuvering. When he starts turning, the canards quickly pull the nose away from the airflow, and then lose effect because of the attack angle, turning into nothing but a source of drag. Which translates to the plane immediately starting to do violent spins when in atmosphere at any sort of decent speed.
Drop the canards. Gotcha.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Do you use FAR? I kinda gathered that you have Deadly Reentry, so...
I considered it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't install it.

There's more than that. FAR does model the loss of control at supersonic speed, but more importantly it models surfaces obstructing each other from airflow, and angles of deflection. GWG's aircraft returns lightweight, and it has canards on the front - which are meant to aid in low-speed maneuvering. When he starts turning, the canards quickly pull the nose away from the airflow, and then lose effect because of the attack angle, turning into nothing but a source of drag. Which translates to the plane immediately starting to do violent spins when in atmosphere at any sort of decent speed.
Drop the canards. Gotcha.
I recommend removing canards and adding something else behind the existing airframe to steer the craft. The existing control surfaces are too close to the center of mass to provide adequate steering when you're flying empty. You might go from too much steering to too little - adding a more pronounced "tail" should help with that.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's an excellent example of what you can do with Extraplanetary Launchpads and Kethane as shown from a user on the official KSP forums. http://imgur.com/a/c1mAy

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

Man, that's what I feel is missing in KSP. Some large objectives that net you money, like having tourist resorts, far-flung bases that really work together (i.e. bio modules, habitats, and everything else needed for self-sufficiency), that you have to build and take there.

Those mods look so awesome. Does the base part come from Extraplanetary Launchpads? How much of the base-building is just flavour, and how much is actually needed? It seems like you can actually build things outside of Kerbin and the KSP base?

I wish I had more time for gaming :o So many opportunities :'(

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A lot of that base is another mod. "Hollow structures" or something like that. There's also KAS. As far as I know BioMass is the only mod that does air, water, food, fuels, etc.

All of vanilla KSP is flavor right now.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

My RT2 satellite network is almost complete. Soon I will be able to transmit from anywhere in the solar system.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd love a mod that just sort of enables gravity -style- situations, maybe "forcing" anything in orbit (even from a existing save) into a 2 km radius/orbit at once, plus the mod where you can glue stuff together?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

2 km radius orbit? Isn't that well within the lower atmosphere, if not the lower lithosphere*?

*Depends on if you measure from the core or the surface.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Today I learned that 9m/s horizontal speed is not, in fact, and acceptable speed for vertical landing.

Hopefully bill will not get too bored on the munar planes.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Why do you have aircraft on the mun?

Or did you mean plains?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

I meant plains, sorry. Though I have sent a plane to minimus to mine kethane.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Looks oversized.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 848